Sign in to follow this  
cbmnz

Summer down under

cbmnz

Some photos of the garden on what's been a near perfect early Summer's day. High of around 24C (75F), and not too humid. Been quite a bit of rain in the past two weeks so everything is growing like mad. 

20181208_122103.thumb.jpg.27bcfdeb7088b3

Wintered over the banana trunk and one leaf with some polyester frostcloth, which allowed it to take off again since September. This trunk has been going since November 2016 so must flower soon. 

20181208_122000.thumb.jpg.75852af1fe31e2

R. Sapida Oceana small grade only been in ground since September 30th currently pushing out its second new frond.

20181208_122651.thumb.jpg.01108037b92e7d

https://youtu.be/_i4WfjVqPDA

• Upvote 4

Tyrone

Sounds like you had a similar day to me. 23C and rh around 55-60% through the heat of the day. We had about 11mm of rain on Thursday so everything is kicking on now, including weeds. I've just finished a 10hr stint of weed spraying. I used just over 300L of roundup.

Your little Chatham is cute. It looks happy.

cbmnz
15 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Sounds like you had a similar day to me. 23C and rh around 55-60% through the heat of the day. We had about 11mm of rain on Thursday so everything is kicking on now, including weeds. I've just finished a 10hr stint of weed spraying. I used just over 300L of roundup.

Your little Chatham is cute. It looks happy.

Sounds like hard work! You must be looking after a large area of land. I'm trying to use no herbicide these days. On a few hundred m^2 of section it's doable to weed only by hand.

Tyrone

I have 6 acres here but about 3.5 acres is landscape. I'm on a wetland as well so weeds go berserk. The neighbours all have paddocks so they love open expanses of grasses. I'm trying to create canopy which slows down weeds. I don't like using herbicide but while I'm getting the place into shape it's necessary. Eventually I hope to use minimal herbicide. Kikuyu grass was everywhere here when we moved in. Now it's been tamed a bit.

• Upvote 1

sandgroper

Supposed to be 34c here today and 38c tomorrow, I'll be throwing some water around the yard when I get home from work. 

Tyrone

It got to 32C here yesterday and I watered everything well. Got thunderstorms and rain this morning. It reminds me of a Lord Howe Island morning after rain.

cbmnz

Have now had >200mm rain for the month to date! But have also had plenty of sun and lots of days mid to high 20's C.  Been coming in torrential mostly evening and overnight downpours sometimes with thunder. 

Our thunderstorms are still tame however compared to what I see reported has been hitting Sydney in the past week and especially yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Tyrone
15 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Have now had >200mm rain for the month to date! But have also had plenty of sun and lots of days mid to high 20's C.  Been coming in torrential mostly evening and overnight downpours sometimes with thunder. 

Our thunderstorms are still tame however compared to what I see reported has been hitting Sydney in the past week and especially yesterday.

You don't want a Sydney thunderstorm. 8cm hail will smash everything.

Going for a 30C day today and at 8.55am it's 26.5C so I think we will smash 30C today. Might go to the beach later. It doesn't often happen here in Albany. The southern ocean is cold.

Tyrone

We got to 35.5C here yesterday the hottest day in two years. Back to low to mid twenties for the foreseeable future and higher humidity. 

Yesterday around the heat of the day the humidity bottomed out at a -1C dew point then within the space of 10 minutes jumped up to 15,16C dew points. I was astounded. I've never seen such a fast dewpoint change and without much of a change in actual temperature. 

I watered everything and drained my tank. Will take around 48hrs to refill from the groundwater but with 23C forecast and gentle moist seebreezes I think everything will be ok after the good drink they got.

sandgroper

Been doing a bit of cleaning up on this Christmas morning, trimming off dead fronds etc....plenty of spiders out and about! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

cbmnz

Flipped from 260mm of rain in December to dry for the last 14 days, almost continuous sunshine with a steady drying wind. I can't see where the next rain will come from, the  subtropical ridge is just parked, areas between 34 and about 40S are under continuous high pressure, looks like it may last for weeks yet.

That did happen December 2017 which lead to sea temperatures getting to be up to 6C above average in the Tasman. That was meant to be a once in 50 year event. But sea temps are rising again and conditions look very favourable for that to continue. 

Tyrone

That subtropical ridge has done exactly the same over here. No rain since mid December but the humidity is up. If a cyclone comes down the west coast in the Indian Ocean and warps the tropics we may get some rain but frontal activity is totally blocked and has been for a few weeks.