Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sabal minors in Central OK

12 posts in this topic

New to the board...Wanted to share a few pics of my Sabal minors from the Oklahoma City area (Z-7A). I've got around 20 or so Minors of differing sizes in my landscape. Some are seed-grown from my largest plant and others were purchased. Most of these have been in the ground for right at three years now. I've had my largest Minor for eight years and was fortunate that it transplanted successfully at the end of 2015. These plants absolutely thrive in our Oklahoma summer heat and get through winter with very little damage here. I've had some slight burn during our coldest winter snaps (mid-single digits), but nothing worse.

The smaller Minors are the "McCurtain" variety. They're very, very slow growing, but have been in the ground for three years after being purchased as a small strap-leafed plants. As far as I can tell, my large Minor is a "Louisiana", but I'm not 100% sure. I bought it at a local nursery and the tag didn't specify. 

Thanks!

IMG_8412 2.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

Awesome plants!  Welcome to the forums!

Looking good.   I wish I had a bunch in those sizes.:greenthumb:

Really nice minors! Welcome aboard. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Welcome Dave,

Your sabals look robust and healthy - and you're practically in Canada! They put my wimpy Gulf-Coast minors to shame. Keep up the good work!

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing! Very cool! I have just planted a couple this year although I don't have the McCurtain variety. Is the McCurtain variety the smaller one in the first picture? Can you talk a bit more about how you care for them?

Beautiful minors! Welcome to PalmTalk

Looking great!  Welcome aboard.  Those McCurtain minors are hardy into Kansas and Missouri.  I planted several up there in z6 +20 years ago.  

I love Sabal minor! 

On 12/7/2018, 7:16:24, Swolte said:

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing! Very cool! I have just planted a couple this year although I don't have the McCurtain variety. Is the McCurtain variety the smaller one in the first picture? Can you talk a bit more about how you care for them?

Thanks! Yes, the McCurtains are the smaller ones in the pics. I've found that taking care of them is really pretty simple...they're in partial sun/partial shade and once they're established I basically leave them alone. I might give them a little water in July and August during the hottest/driest stretches of the Summer, but they're actually very drought tolerant, and they thrive in the heat. I never fertilize or do anything special like that. My largest Minor shoots up a seed stalk each summer and I usually cut that off at the end of the winter. I have pruned off dead/speant fronds a few times as well. 

Around the beginning of December I usually mulch them really well with store-bought mulch or just leaves that have fallen. I've never covered them with blankets/tarps and never had any major problems. If we get down below 10 degrees (which is fairly uncommon), then they sometimes look a bit discolored and they might suffer a little burn on the tips of the leaves. But I've never had one even come close to defoliating. Good luck!

They are healthy and nice looking plants. Good work Dave_OK!

They look GREAT!!!!   Is that a Trachycarpus that I see in the background? Whatever it is looks very healthy too!  Nice job!  Welcome to PalmTalk!