IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where royals grow, and where they could grow

Jimbean

2 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

That looks pretty good to me. I know of a handful naturalizing in Pinellas County and Sarasota County, but not like what Zeeth has posted in Manatee.

Also, I'm pretty sure there have to be naturalizing royals in Lee County. I don't know the area well, but royals are their thing there since Edison introduced them. The climate is very favorable too so I'm confident they must be naturalizing there to some degree.

Probably so

Brevard County, Fl

11 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

The orange coloring should be in Volusia not Lake County. Bartram saw the Royals along the St. John's River near Astor.

" This species is believed to have been observed by William Bartram along "the St. John's River between Astor and Lake Dexter, Lake and Volusia Counties" (Harper 1946) and was perhaps later extirpated (Small 1938). "

royal distribution.gif

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

Here is the farthest north large, old, inland one I’ve seen. This is in gibsonton, fl in an area I would consider to be 9B not too far from the bay but definitely sees multiple yearly freezes. I have no idea if this is a pre 80s freeze palm but it has been sticking out conspicuously above all the other vegetation in the area since at least 2001 or 2002 when I first noticed it there. 

6753BA80-7218-4C66-9F94-489004E84088.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 1 month later...

For the record, I spotted a royal last night in Tampa on Davis Island that I'm sure is pre-80s. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9255105,-82.4599769,3a,30y,178.17h,96.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp9ebsWx30JxcmgXV3tk4LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's a second angle:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9245436,-82.4600521,3a,75y,3.45h,95.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGkD7aeh-CyACaQ7Yv_pF5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Neither image is great on streetview, but just from having seen it in person I can say it is too tall to be planted after 1989. There are a lot of other royals in this part of town, some of which may also be pre-80s, but this only one I've seen that clearly predates those freezes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 weeks later...

There appears to be a stand of Royals on the Southside of Lake Okeechobee. Check out the coordinates 26.773879,-80.733614 on Google Maps with satellite view on and zoom in, you'll see them and their shadows. 

Screenshot_20190210-114547_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20190210-114600_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

• 4 years later...

There's more possibilities in Brevard, Indian River, and St. Lucie counties.  I'd like to explore Crane Creek in Melbourne because there appears to be the possibility of royals in that area and also in the St. Lucie River, where there are confirmed royals.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9619739

• Like 2

Brevard County, Fl