IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can sprinklers damage the look of a palm trunk?

GMann

I just planted this big Psuedophienix sargenti. What I like most about it are the rings around the trunk (see pic).

I have a sprinkler head right by it and I am wondering if the regular water spray will damage the appearance of the trunk?

If so, how can I convert this specific sprinkler head to simply soak the ground around it rather than spray water into the air? One low tech way would be to place a heavy rock on top of it to stop it from even popping out of the ground. But there must be some sort of head adapter you can screw on that would actually allow controlling the direction the water would pour in..

FA6E3D1B-95A2-44B7-89C8-4229E60560F4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Depending on your water supply, yes. If you use well water, rust deposits will eventually build up on the trunk. With P. sargentii, you may also have issues with water on the trunk causing rot. You can buy conversion kits where you replace the head with an adapter for micro-sprinklers or a soaker hose, and I've had good luck with these. Googling "riser micro sprinkler conversion kit" can give you a few hits on the different types of these available.

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

My irrigation water gives everything it regularly touches a reddish brown sheen!! :rant:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I have seen this species develop rot on the trunk when sprinkler water continually hits it. The palms survived but he unsightly lesions remained. My suggestion is to redirect your sprinkler. Once established this palm does not require any irrigation, the do just fine with what falls from the sky in South Florida

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Probably the best way would be to convert that sprinkler head it to a dripline.  HD or Lowes sell a kit for around $10-15 that screws onto your existing sprinker line.  Just move a little dirt out from around the head, unscrew the current sprinkler, screw the kit in place and attach a section of 1/2" dripline.  You can route the dripline around your existing plants, and if a few areas need sprinklers instead of drippers then the 180 degree "fan" sprinklers on a stick do a pretty good job.

The Rain Bird RCKIT-1PS is an easy sprinkler head to drip line kit.  You may need a 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor, depending on your sprinkler head thread diameter.  You could also use the PRS05030S pressure regulator with the necessary adaptors.

• Upvote 1

Blasting palm trunks with sprinkler water, as Moose noted, can be damaging.  To some extent, you can remedy that by changing sprinkler heads or otherwise redesigning the system.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us