IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help!! - Dypsis Mananjarensis showing some rot

Hilo Jason

About 3 weeks ago I noticed the newest spear on my Dypsis Mananjarensis (Mealy Bug) not looking so good.  I immediately started applying Hydrogen Peroxide, almost daily.  It always fizzles and bubbles A LOT!  So I just keep applying everyday, usually in the morning so that it has the time to soak in all day and then hopefully dry out.  

Nov. 8 pic:

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.d74dd4a8c434f96f306d0

The good news is that I've marked the petiole and it keeps pushing.  The new spear however has completely rotted off though and there is no longer any sign of it.  

Nov. 27 pic:

IMG_1376.thumb.JPG.90f567868bce4d1b08602

You can see where the spear used to be and you can see that the white mealy bug markings are actually brown in that area now.  

I will say that the new spear did not completely pull, at least not from what I could tell.  More like just rotted off as it pushed its way out.  It was very brown and rotted as it pushed out.  The problem is now I don't see anything as far as a new spear goes.  

At one point I also sprayed a little bit of Seven around the growing point because when I poured in the peroxide, a lot of ants and even a couple of slugs would come crawling up out of the growth area.  So I figured that wasn't good!  

I marked the growing area again 2 days ago and it has pushed an inch already.  You can see another mark up the petiole about 5 inches higher.  So it is pushing! 

IMG_1377.thumb.JPG.3d0da09227fc40ef0e827

Any advice or recommendations besides Peroxide and the Seven that I already sprayed?  Should I keep applying Peroxide daily or is that too much moisture?  

Thankfully it looks like we have 3 days straight of no rain (that's a lot here!) so I think that should be helpful.  

Thanks for reading and in advance for any helpful tips.  

Here's a picture of the entire plant.  It's been very happy and growing fast, just opened it's 4th new leaf in 1 year since being planted!  I hope it can just push through this funk.  

IMG_1378.JPG

• Upvote 3

Looks like your palm is gonna make it Jason. It looks similar to what happened recently to my D. ampasindavae. Top half of new leaf just rotted out, but after a few peroxide treatments, the remainder of the spear was solid. It's now back on track and as beautiful as ever.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The exact thing happened to my dark mealybug, applied peroxide a couple times and cut off the rotten stuff, and a new spear gradually came out. The rotten one kept pushing, but never opened or developed. The next shoot is healthy.

good luck

aloha

Colin and Tim - thanks for the replies.  Do you think it's possible to apply too much peroxide, or apply it too often?  

I've also had similiar happen to one of my Dysis dark mealy bugs and a  prestoniana, but I suspected it was some type of insect attack.    I didn't treat either of them and they just grew out.

This is both sides of a damaged emerging prestoniana spear.

qbccjxz.jpg

3jx1FcV.jpg

This is a dark mealy bug that was damaged just as the spear began to emerge.

00tJqom.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, steve99 said:

I've also had similiar happen to one of my Dysis dark mealy bugs and a  prestoniana, but I suspected it was some type of insect attack.    I didn't treat either of them and they just grew out.

This is both sides of a damaged emerging prestoniana spear.

qbccjxz.jpg

3jx1FcV.jpg

This is a dark mealy bug that was damaged just as the spear began to emerge.

00tJqom.jpg

Thanks Steve, I'm hoping this does the same.  It's been a fast grower so seems like it will want to push through this.  

You know Steve, your right about not needing to treat spear rot or damage all of the time. I think in most cases the palm will recover on it's own. I use peroxide as more of a precaution, mainly because it's inexpensive and easy to use. You never know what's going on down in the growing point. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Update on this palm: The good news is that it's pushing fairly quickly as you can see from where I marked it. But the bad news is that there's still no sign of the new spear / growing point. This tells me that the rot was deep in the growing area inside the palm. I will rejoice when I see it actually poke it's way out of there for the first time.  Lots of nasty brown areas pushing out now that were rotting down inside the palm before pushing out. 

IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.bd1a242983d5066f822a1

IMG_1394.thumb.JPG.a4dc6b2fba064bd107f7a

• Upvote 1

It is also interesting that I am fighting this very same issue on a couple other heeled Malagasy palms. My lemurophoenix is opening a new red leaf right now and looks perfectly happy but I just noticed the new spear following up the new flush is looking dead.

I wonder if the SO2 or other gases from volcano might be attributing to this?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The gases were months ago, and the wind didn't make its way from Leilani to Hilo - certainly not enough to harm any palms.

I would suggest the use of peroxide, and the other thing I might recommend - depending on what else you see on the rotted parts - is use of a systemic insecticide/fungicide like the Bayer stuff in the blue bottle.  It won't harm the plant, there is no edible fruit that might get tainted, and worst case you've just wasted a bit of the liquid.  Best case you've killed whatever little bug might be down in there, chewing on stuff.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

11 hours ago, Justin said:

The gases were months ago, and the wind didn't make its way from Leilani to Hilo - certainly not enough to harm any palms.

I would suggest the use of peroxide, and the other thing I might recommend - depending on what else you see on the rotted parts - is use of a systemic insecticide/fungicide like the Bayer stuff in the blue bottle.  It won't harm the plant, there is no edible fruit that might get tainted, and worst case you've just wasted a bit of the liquid.  Best case you've killed whatever little bug might be down in there, chewing on stuff.

Thanks for that tip Justin. I will do that right away. I've been treating with peroxide almost daily, with lots of sizzling following each treatment. 

I also just cut off a couple feet of new spear on a Dypsis Lastelliana that was browning from the tip down. Ended up being some sort of little larvae burrowing around in there. If something like that is happening to my mealy bug, I'm not able to see it so the systemic fungicide is what I need.  

12 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I wonder if the SO2 or other gases from volcano might be attributing to this?

Yeah, Justin is right about this. During the entire eruption there were only a couple of days that I could smell the SO2 here in Hilo. Most days our air quality was excellent thanks to the tradewinds blowing in our favor. Kona on the other hand had it really bad. 

20 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I also just cut off a couple feet of new spear on a Dypsis Lastelliana that was browning from the tip down. Ended up being some sort of little larvae burrowing around in there. If something like that is happening to my mealy bug, I'm not able to see it so the systemic fungicide is what I need.  

Hi Jason.  I was recently reading the post on someone else's problems with Cycad Aulacaspis Scale (Aulacaspis yasumatsui) in Florida and the potential solutions for treating it.  While Imidacloprid containing products like the one from Bayer may work, you may want to look into one of the other systemic insecticides if it doesn't work.  The Bayer product is probably a pretty good place to start.  I'm very careful on when and where I use it, as it has been associated with bee die offs when feeding blooming plants with it.  I used to use it on my Hibiscus when whitefly arrived here in California, but stopped because I like my neighborly little pollinators.  Doesn't look like it will be a problem with your mealy bug though as it is a ways off from flowering still.  Just amazing how much faster those buggers grow in Hawaii compared to here.  We always enjoy seeing your gardens progress!!   Keep it going.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

20 hours ago, Tracy said:

Hi Jason.  I was recently reading the post on someone else's problems with Cycad Aulacaspis Scale (Aulacaspis yasumatsui) in Florida and the potential solutions for treating it.  While Imidacloprid containing products like the one from Bayer may work, you may want to look into one of the other systemic insecticides if it doesn't work.  The Bayer product is probably a pretty good place to start.  I'm very careful on when and where I use it, as it has been associated with bee die offs when feeding blooming plants with it.  I used to use it on my Hibiscus when whitefly arrived here in California, but stopped because I like my neighborly little pollinators.  Doesn't look like it will be a problem with your mealy bug though as it is a ways off from flowering still.  Just amazing how much faster those buggers grow in Hawaii compared to here.  We always enjoy seeing your gardens progress!!   Keep it going.

Hey Tracy, thanks for the input on this.  I am very cautious about any sort of insecticides and also herbicides in my garden.  I don't spray any weeds at this point, I just mulch and hand pick.  Which can be a lot of work for a 1/2 acre in Hilo, but I enjoy it and as long as I'm able to, I'll keep it up like this.  I did treat this Dypsis with some of the Bayer insectice yesterday and like you said, it won't be flowering anytime soon, so shouldn't harm any bees.  I'm hoping this is a one time application that knocks out whatever was happening and takes care of it.  I also applied a bit of the bayer insecticide to my Lemurophoenix as well.  Hoping for the best.  

• Upvote 2

Jason, it appears to be growing still which is great. I share the same outlook on chemical use in the garden but a times it is a necessary evil.

Whatever it was, lets hope you got it with the peroxide/Bayer and it will push through.

Keep us updated my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a nice Christmas surprise in the garden yesterday, while it might not visually look good, I'm very happy to actually see the damaged new spear finally starting to emerge!  It shows that the palm is pushing still and wanting to get this rotted stuff out!   I'm keeping up the peroxide treatments and I think they are helping.  

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.073acfc18a77289ef84e4

back side, can't see the new mushy spear, but shows that it's pushing.  

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.96b0cc5bc78301084817f

Will keep you all posted!   Hoping this palm keeps the will to live and continues to push through this.  

On 12/5/2018, 8:28:52, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks for that tip Justin. I will do that right away. I've been treating with peroxide almost daily, with lots of sizzling following each treatment. 

Jason - I missed your above post earlier, but your discovery of the "little larvae" clinches it for me. It's banana moth. I was going to mention it before, but we would have to find the larvae first to confirm - sometimes very difficult - and you did that. We have all lost palms to it here in Hawaii - sometimes not even aware it was the culprit. I have lost more plants to banana moth than any other reason, especially now that I know how to look and confirm what killed the plant. I have seen them as small as 1/8 inch growing to almost 1 inch in length before "cocooning." The small ones can be very hard to find.

I've seen it often in D. lastelliana. They can kill young to old, big to small. They will eat anything, even dead material. And very hard to kill. I've had it in roots, flowers, trunks of thinner palms, buds, and spears. And there is no logical reason where they end up, or what they go after. I have also found them quite often on Ti Plants, but also on/in cycads and of course "banana-like" plants.

It manifests in several different ways, and I can give you lots of info and suggestions for treatment/prevention if you want to give me a call. It's a complicated topic, but one you will want to know all about.

It can be a "major" problem, and not just for palms.

Not much info on the web regarding banana moth and palms. And most of the older general info is at best incomplete. But here are two topics from this Forum - well worth the read.

Banana Moth in Hawaii

Banana Moth in Florida

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I lost a Dypsis carlsmithii to rot a couple of years ago.  No apparent reason, except maybe the palm was in too much shade to be fully healthy.  It was, however, fun going past Carlsmith beach park in Hilo.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 12/26/2018, 9:48:25, Dypsisdean said:

Jason - I missed your above post earlier, but your discovery of the "little larvae" clinches it for me. It's banana moth. I was going to mention it before, but we would have to find the larvae first to confirm - sometimes very difficult - and you did that. We have all lost palms to it here in Hawaii - sometimes not even aware it was the culprit. I have lost more plants to banana moth than any other reason, especially now that I know how to look and confirm what killed the plant. I have seen them as small as 1/8 inch growing to almost 1 inch in length before "cocooning." The small ones can be very hard to find.

I've seen it often in D. lastelliana. They can kill young to old, big to small. They will eat anything, even dead material. And very hard to kill. I've had it in roots, flowers, trunks of thinner palms, buds, and spears. And there is no logical reason where they end up, or what they go after. I have also found them quite often on Ti Plants, but also on/in cycads and of course "banana-like" plants.

It manifests in several different ways, and I can give you lots of info and suggestions for treatment/prevention if you want to give me a call. It's a complicated topic, but one you will want to know all about.

It can be a "major" problem, and not just for palms.

Not much info on the web regarding banana moth and palms. And most of the older general info is at best incomplete. But here are two topics from this Forum - well worth the read.

Banana Moth in Hawaii

Banana Moth in Florida

Dean - thanks for the link to those 2 topics on here. And I will definitely Be in touch with you directly to learn more as well.  Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Update:

I think I am in the clear!  That rotted spear has pushed out and opened (what was left of it) and the new push / spear is looking healthy. I marked it 2 days ago and it’s pushing an inch a day. I’m keeping up the peroxide but not nearly as regular. And i believe it really helps that May has been a very dry month here. Less than 1” of rain all month. Gave this thing the chance to dry out and push in all the sonshine we’ve had recently. 

84D121AD-B1F4-4071-8A39-3EEBB5D032B1.thumb.jpeg.e605408ed154e25dc056c0d55f07768f.jpeg

27B232CA-59D2-4A67-A0BF-03C3A0A2FB67.thumb.jpeg.859d6943399355cbcd0f6e67083f9da5.jpeg

• Like 2

Hydrogen peroxide, isn't that bleach? What strength do you use, how much per pint of water?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

12 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

Hydrogen peroxide, isn't that bleach? What strength do you use, how much per pint of water?

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach (think that’s Sodium hypochlorite). I just use OTC hydrogen peroxide just like you put on dirty wounds

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 month later...

Update and good news. The new spear keeps pushing and no sign of rot anywhere near the growing point! 

193653C8-7BD5-4215-B8A8-5E37F3C365C2.thumb.jpeg.f17f6f35a34743c52242b284100a8279.jpeg

B7450D6B-C3BB-49E3-AF19-6195C6051A9E.thumb.jpeg.ec17aab7c40581140418e39c8de49a9d.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

This palm not only fully recovered but has exploded with new growth in the past year since the last update on this thread. Here it is now:

4997573D-FDCB-4C09-8020-56E15411E674.thumb.jpeg.40d226c041344308cc92d2fc3c430832.jpeg

in the photo above, you can see the leaf that rotted off, it’s eye level with my wife who graciously posed to add some scale. In the past year this has opened 5 new leaves and each one is significantly larger than the previous. 

862737A2-3C2E-4899-83AD-A305CD49FCB9.thumb.jpeg.f87af24dab3bcb1fa840d72a9de4e264.jpeg

orange coloring is starting to peak out from under the leaf bases. 

A53AE449-BC4E-46A3-B76E-9682588F09CD.thumb.jpeg.6fdffa76015cb99f5065417065736221.jpeg

happy growing point now!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2