Jump to content
realarch

Dypsis ampasindavae

Recommended Posts

realarch

Sure is a pretty palm and showy with the new leaf. Something had eaten part of the previous leaf and I thought I might lose the entire plant. A few hydrogen peroxide drenches seems to have done the trick. 

Tim

P1060673.jpg

P1060672.jpg

  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason

Great to see it thriving again!  I remember ours seemed to be somewhat synched up with their new leaves and I do think mine is just about to open another.  I'll have to take a pic and post here when it does. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

I have a few small ones in pots here in Guada La Habra, and they're nowhere close to being as magnificent as yours @realarch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Thanks Dave, not exactly the fastest grower, but steady. 

Tim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colin Peters

Looking great Tim,

Some big fat mature ones up at Lyon, sporting the occasional beautiful orange crownshaft. I need to get a couple from Floribunda and try them here in the valley.

aloha

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Oh man Colin, I'd love to see some photos of those chunksters.

Tim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
3 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Looking great Tim,

Some big fat mature ones up at Lyon, sporting the occasional beautiful orange crownshaft. I need to get a couple from Floribunda and try them here in the valley.

aloha

They have huge 1 gals in stock.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redant

Cool palm, wonder if anyone has luck with these in FL. Some Dypsis just hate FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

I think mound planting would work here. They seem to suck down into the ground like most heeled Dypsis. Randy (palmisland)  up in Boca has had success with mound planting.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
15 hours ago, joe_OC said:

They have huge 1 gals in stock.  

I have a couple myself. Still decent two-gallons after a number of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John hovancsek

I just got a few of them from florabunda a few months ago . Front and center in the pic, busting out of there pots

20180809_120330.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
12 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I just got a few of them from florabunda a few months ago . Front and center in the pic, busting out of there pots

20180809_120330.jpg

It's the palm center, but not front, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John hovancsek

Yes., I wish I had a better pic of it but it's the only one I can find of when I got it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Holy cow John, do we need to round up a planting party? I know Hilo Jason has lots a time on his hands.

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colin Peters

Tim, this was the only picture I could find. This is just up the slope from that monster D. bejofu,, in the Africa section, which would be more appropriately named the Madagasgar section IMHO. There is a group of three or four, sporting the occasional orangeish crown. A good picture of them in the palmpedia palm encyclopedia. 

aloha

IMG_1602 2.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Mahalo Colin! Hey, I might be coming over to Oahu in January, maybe we can make a trip up to the garden and scout around. 

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colin Peters

Sounds great Tim, let me know

 I have found some really rare gems, hidden away, I asume planted by Ray Baker back in the day,   but not too hard to get to. Maybe it will be dry!!!, ya right,   better bring an umbrella. 

aloha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Ha! I remember the last time you and I were up there.......torrential rain to be exact! The rushing water was almost up to our calves, but what the hell, I loved it. 

Pretty much game for anything palm related. 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
1 hour ago, realarch said:

Holy cow John, do we need to round up a planting party? I know Hilo Jason has lots a time on his hands.

Tim

Hah!  yeah, nothing but time!  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
1 hour ago, colin Peters said:

Tim, this was the only picture I could find. This is just up the slope from that monster D. bejofu,, in the Africa section, which would be more appropriately named the Madagasgar section IMHO. There is a group of three or four, sporting the occasional orangeish crown. A good picture of them in the palmpedia palm encyclopedia. 

aloha

IMG_1602 2.jpg

I need to go back to Lyon sometime in the future and search around for these palms.  I've only been once and it was several years ago as I was pretty early into palms. So I'm sure I missed quite a bit. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palms4Steve

Certainly is a stunning palm Tim. I have a small one I’m hoping to plant out one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason

My Ampasindavae (which is a sibling of Tim’s) is now opening a new leaf. These are such nice palms. 

2E9B19D0-700D-43E9-8F21-C786AF75F6EB.thu

3F1346F2-6917-4C8B-98CA-F955F9C7C904.thu

 

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

Does anyone know how hardy it is?  I’m able to get a nice one, but not sure if it’s worth the try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim

Thanks for bumping this thread with your photos, Jason! Gorgeous palm!

I just bought 2 Dypsis ampasindavae and hope to plant them today or tomorrow. On a bit of a planting spree here -- haven't done that since last March, and it's very exciting to be planting again. Out with the dead, in the with new!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
10 hours ago, Kim said:

Thanks for bumping this thread with your photos, Jason! Gorgeous palm!

I just bought 2 Dypsis ampasindavae and hope to plant them today or tomorrow. On a bit of a planting spree here -- haven't done that since last March, and it's very exciting to be planting again. Out with the dead, in the with new!

Nice to hear you are planting and adding new palms to your garden!  Hopefully I can make it out your way soon to see your garden in person. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daryl

Here's one we saw a couple of months ago at Utopia....a must have for the Dypsis lover!   As you can see, Wal loves this one!

DSC_0180.thumb.jpg.395099d9e173b2ca89446

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim
On 1/10/2019, 9:39:23, Hilo Jason said:

My Ampasindavae (which is a sibling of Tim’s) is now opening a new leaf. These are such nice palms. 

2E9B19D0-700D-43E9-8F21-C786AF75F6EB.thu

3F1346F2-6917-4C8B-98CA-F955F9C7C904.thu

 

Very nice Jason!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
18 hours ago, Daryl said:

Here's one we saw a couple of months ago at Utopia....a must have for the Dypsis lover!   As you can see, Wal loves this one!

DSC_0180.thumb.jpg.395099d9e173b2ca89446

Great photo to show what these eventually turn into! Thanks Daryl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×