IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anti Freeze

NC_Palms

Apparently they an antifreeze for plants that can increase hardiness by a few degrees. Does anyone use this and does this work? I can only imagine the palms I could grow with this. :o

https://www.planetnatural.com/product/freezepruf-frost-protector/

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Apparently they an antifreeze for plants that can increase hardiness by a few degrees. Does anyone use this and does this work? I can only imagine the palms I could grow with this. :o

https://www.planetnatural.com/product/freezepruf-frost-protector/

I recal reading an article testing this out. From what I remember it really didn’t help much. Let me see if I can find the article. I saw a post on Palmtalk about this as well. Someone might chime in but I don’t think it was 9f of protection.

Found the article. http://gardenprofessors.com/freezepruf-revisited/

Edited by AZPalms
  • Upvote 1

We went through a whole discussion of Freeze Pruf some years back. Consensus was it did little to no good and wasn't worth the expense. Stuff like this pops up every few years to raise hopes and empty wallets.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Looks like a waste of money.

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

• 2 weeks later...

LOL!   This stuff is STILL around?    I remember when that was the hot topic for a while but wow it was years ago.  This thread gave me a good chuckle for sure!  HA! 

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

LOL!   This stuff is STILL around?    I remember when that was the hot topic for a while but wow it was years ago.  This thread gave me a good chuckle for sure!  HA! 

I never knew it existed until a few weeks back when It was I saw an advertisement 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

• 3 weeks later...

Its to bad it didn't take off....I don't think the formula was ever 

made right when they went into production....the only thing I

have seen make a huge difference in hardiness is that a palm is 

bone dry going into the cold...

• Upvote 2

Bone dry does not exist where I live.... ever. But that’s good to know. I have suggested to a friend to use a blow dryer on a palm before a freeze

• Upvote 1

Some guy in the uk palm group on fb gives his washy some Potassium and magnesium if i remember correctly. He has a huge washy he keeps getting true winter this way, seen -8 last winter.

Btw @tropic doc, it is possible to keep something bone dry in wet climate, i plant my agaves in pure lava rock, pure grit would be even dryer.

Edited by Subwoofer
  • Upvote 1

I think this product was originally meant just for flower buds, not an entire tree. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 12/30/2018, 3:52:42, Subwoofer said:

Some guy in the uk palm group on fb gives his washy some Potassium and magnesium if i remember correctly. He has a huge washy he keeps getting true winter this way, seen -8 last winter.

Btw @tropic doc, it is possible to keep something bone dry in wet climate, i plant my agaves in pure lava rock, pure grit would be even dryer.

More of damp and humid on leaves  that is the problem though and yes amending soil is a good idea here since we have black clay that will hold water for weeks on end

• Upvote 1