IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Holiday Sale on 'The Palms of Cuba'

Licuala

My book, The Palms of Cuba' is on sale for the Holiday from now until December 10! Books are available for $33.95, which is 15% off the retail price of $39.95! This limited time sale includes free shipping within the U.S. and the books being personally autographed through my website, www.palmnutpages.com!   This is the perfect gift for the palm enthusiast on your gift list! Order yours today!;-)

Palms of Cuba Book Cover 500.jpg

PB1002_contents 600.jpg

• Upvote 4

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

You can also learn about cultivating these palms as well as the habitats in which they grow.

Cultivation 24 jpg 1200.jpg

Cultivation 25 jpg 1200.jpg

Distribution and habitats 8 jpg 1200.jpg

Distribution and habitats 9 jpg 1200.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Coccothrinax macroglossa is one of the two Coccothrinax "azuls" in Cuba that are characterized by the leaves having bluish topsides. Both grow in serpentine soils but this species is a much more vigorous grower in cultivation than the other Coccothrinax "azul," Coccothrinax spirituana. The bluish wax on the topsides of the leaves of this species washes off from rains and irrigation with the older leaves becoming green. This is the species that is more common in cultivation. Read more about about these species in the book, on sale now for a limited time. 

Here is a young specimen of Coccothrinax macroglossa in habitat, a habitat shot of Coccothrinax macroglossa, a closeup of the leaf showing the bluish wax covering on the leaves that eventually wash off with rains and the coarse, open leaf base fiber.

Coccothrinax macroglossa Cuba_0169 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa habitat Cuba_0214 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa CU_2719 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa Cuba_0328 jpg.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Definitely on my Christmas List.  Thanks Paul.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Coccothrinax spirituana is the other Coccothrinax "azul." Compared to Coccothrinax macroglossa, it is a much slower grower and does not get as tall. The topsides of the leaves are even bluer and the color does not wash off with the rains, so the plants always look very blue and stand out in their habitat. Very few of these plants are in cultivation, but more seeds have found their way into cultivation recently. Read up more on this species and the other Cuban palms in "The Palms of Cuba" book.

Coccothrinax spirituana_6824 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax spirituana DS_3539 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax spirituana_6826 jpg.jpg

Coccothrinax spirituana DS_3513 jpg.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

My husband got this book a few months ago and he loves it! I must say I do too, beautiful pictures and great information and history! Thanks again for putting out a book with some amazing palm tree’s!

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2018, 9:13:16, PalmMom007 said:

My husband got this book a few months ago and he loves it! I must say I do too, beautiful pictures and great information and history! Thanks again for putting out a book with some amazing palm tree’s!

Glad to hear y'all are enjoying the book!;-) Thank you!!!

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Limited Time Holiday Book Sale!
From now until December 10, "The Palms of Cuba" book is on sale for $33.95, which is 15% off the retail price of $39.95. This is the perfect gift for the palm enthusiast on your gift list! Each book sold through my website, www.palmnutpages.com, will include free shipping and will be autographed by the author, me!;-) Amazon.com is also offering this sale price for the same time period but the books will not be autographed or necessarily shipped free unless buyers are prime customers. They do offer the best shipping rates for international customers though. 
Order today as this offer may not be repeated!!!

Palms of Cuba red.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Only one more week left for this sale, which ends December 10! Get a copy for that special palm nut on your holiday gift list. Price is only $33.95, which is 15% off the regular price and includes free shipping within the US and will be personally autographed by me when purchased through www.palmnutpages.com. International buyers can purchase through Amazon.com for the same price although those books will not be signed. 

Copernicia fallaensis in habitat, Cuba.

Copernicia fallaensis Cuba_0581 jpg.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

This is the last weekend of our sale on "The Palms of Cuba!" Sale ends this Monday, December 10. Get this perfect gift for the palm nt on your gift list! Sale price is $33.95, which is 15% off the regular price of $39.95. Price includes free shipping within the entire US and books will be autographed by me.

The perfect gift under the Christmas tree!;-)

Christmas tree book red.jpg

• Upvote 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

This is such a great book. I l9ve the layout of the book and the diversity of the palms. Thanks Paul.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Today, December 10, is the last day of the sale for "The Palms of Cuba". Don't miss this opportunity! Order from www.palmnutpages.com or amazon.com to get a copy of this book for $33.95, a savings of $6.00 off the regular price!;-)

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

22 hours ago, sgvcns said:

Paul

Trying to order a copy from amazon for shipping to Australia.

Says not available so no joy

Steve

I just learned from another customer in Australia that Amazon will no longer ship there. Something to do with some sort of tax. This is just a very recent problem. I am attempting to send direct to the other customer and we will see how that turns out.

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

This an excellent written book with very good photographs to enjoy. I highly recommend getting this book for your collection.

Jeff Searle

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 12/13/2018, 4:49:38, Licuala said:

I just learned from another customer in Australia that Amazon will no longer ship there. Something to do with some sort of tax. This is just a very recent problem. I am attempting to send direct to the other customer and we will see how that turns out.

Steve, The book I sent to a customer in Australia arrived in just over a week, so it is possible for me to send books there. Shipping is nearly the same as the price of the book though. Contact me privately if this is something you want to look into: copernicia@outlook.com.

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL