IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis Root issues

Rickybobby

Hey everyone last year my potting skills weren’t up to par. I have learned A lot. My 5 gallon bottle lately has started to brown tip a bit. Still growing new spears just fine but as a new frond opens I cut one off. The soil on this guy has more peatmoss then some of my others. I figured he was fine. So with the. Brown tipping getting worse I put my fingers in the soil and still damp. Not soaked but prettt damp. So I decided to pull the guy right out of the pot. So to my surprise the whole pot is root bound which is good. No soil at the. Bottom at all. But half way up to the top is the bad draining peat. One large root has rotted. New roofs are growing. So there’s some bad roots and some good roots. The palm was potted low in the pot. So I added some wood chips and light perlite and peat to the bottom me raised the palm up and packed my new wood chip peat perlite mix to fill In. The question is why some roots rotted when they weren’t covered in soil and with bottles will this guy recover? I did not repot. But I did shake a ton of the old soil out before I repacked it. I did not grow this guy from seed but is one of my favs. 

After all this I have several bottle seedlings all doing amazing 

Ricky, I know this is not what you asked but,

I assume that you cut off old leaves to keep the plant looking more attractive, but with even the minimal attempt that we make to fertilize our palms potted or inground I try to minimize the unnecessary loss of any nutrient once they have it, i.e. cutting off leaves before they are crispy. It is just one more way to help to keep our palms healthy.

Quoting from here,   http://www.aqua-rebell.com/aquatic-plants/mobile-immobile-nutrients.html 

"Mobile nutrients are, nitrogen in the form of nitrate, phosphorus (P) in the form of phosphate, potassium (K), magnesium (Mg), chlorine (Cl), zinc (Zn) and molybdene (Mo).

Immobile nutrients are, Calcium (Ca), sulfur (S), iron (Fe), boron (B) and copper (Cu).

If there is a deficiency of mobile nutrients, the symptoms are first seen in the older leaves, as the nutrients are transported to new growth from there.

Deficiencies of immobile nutrients first appear in the new growth as the plant was unable to take up sufficient amounts to transport them to the new shoots."

Cheers Steve.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled my. Bottle out of the pot today. It’s what I thought. When I got this palm I had not mastered my good draining soils yet. I don’t think the nursery it came from was any better when I dig deeper. All the roots are brown orange. Here and there rotted soft. No new white growth anywhere. I repotted smaller. Trimmed the rotted roots out and I will put it back out to enjoy it’s last days. A new spear is still emerging but they start to wilt and brown not long after opening up