IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

23 degrees and cycads

TexasColdHardyPalms

We had a freak cold fromt that dropped us to 23f week before last which has allowed us to collect some.data on unprotected plants. 

All ferox 100%burn.

20181119_170020.jpg

9 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We had a freak cold fromt that dropped us to 23f week before last which has allowed us to collect some.data on unprotected plants. 

All ferox 100%burn.

Good data for sure, but hope they come back.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

E. Longifolius- only a few leaves burned. Kinda wierd and pictured below. 

Cerinus- zero.burn on multiple plants

Freddy g zero.burn

Lehmanii x aemulans hybrids zero burn

Aemulans total defoliation

Zero macrozamia burn. Communis, johnsonii, macdonnelii,  stenomera, elegans

New soft leaves on ceratozamia hildae latifolia and kuesteriana burned. Bad timing on flushes. 

Cycas angulata burned.

Small debaoensis defoliated while larger some larger ones partially burned and one is perfect. 

Cairnsiana, cupida, megacarpa seedlings zero burn.

Bifida is perfect.  Guizhihouensis and diannensis perfect. Misc very light burn on  a few leaves 8' tall on cycas revoluta x debaoensis.  

20181119_164925.jpg

• Upvote 3

Just now, kinzyjr said:

Good data for sure, but hope they come back.

The ferox are very caudex hardy, just wimps on leaf hardiness. That same plant has seen single digits with just a bucket on top.of.it. 

• Upvote 1

Longifolius still a trooper. All macrozamia still perfect and aussy cycas except angulata. 

20181125_162126.jpg

Good to get some more data on these.  Do you plan to (eventually) let them see zone 8 temperatures unprotected? 

Steve

Jim, we did, but I think it was mainly due to exposure and blockage of wind.  That Longifolius is exposed to everything and I was shocked at how well it help up.   The 2-3" caudex Cerinus is not but 30' from that Coontie and looks perfect.  In our testing last year caffer proved to be much hardier than Cerinus and from what we can tell there are a number of very cold hardy encephalartos:

In no particular order these have shown exceptional leaf hardiness - Middleburg & Eugene, Dolo, Lehmanii (hardiest of all common blues), longifolius, Cerinus.  The two hardiest that we have tested have been caffer and of course freddy G. Both will take temperatures into the upper teens without burning.  

• Upvote 1

Also Mac. MacDonnelli looks to be the most leaf hardy of all the large Macrozamia. I decided to wait to test out the larger M. Montana until next year, but we have high hopes for it as well.  

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Jim, we did, but I think it was mainly due to exposure and blockage of wind.  That Longifolius is exposed to everything and I was shocked at how well it help up.   The 2-3" caudex Cerinus is not but 30' from that Coontie and looks perfect.  In our testing last year caffer proved to be much hardier than Cerinus and from what we can tell there are a number of very cold hardy encephalartos:

In no particular order these have shown exceptional leaf hardiness - Middleburg & Eugene, Dolo, Lehmanii (hardiest of all common blues), longifolius, Cerinus.  The two hardiest that we have tested have been caffer and of course freddy G. Both will take temperatures into the upper teens without burning.  

Thanks for the feedback on this.

That Ferox looks nasty...hope it comes back.  I know here in NE Florida my Dioon look like that into the mid 20's but always have recovered.  Had a few Cycas last year do the same.  Definitely going to pay closer attention to temps and damage this year.  Had 34F last night which shouldn't be a problem...

• 2 weeks later...

23 seems to be the magic number around here for lots of things getting burned. The Lepidozamias burn at 23 and so do those green emergent Ceratozamias. Its good to see you documenting everything for the next generation of cycad enthusiasts. You have been doing a great job and I hear every once in a while when you are acquiring cool new stuff.  I'm working on getting out.

That longifolius looks the same still so I am super impressed. All of the Cerinus are perfect so I can say with confidence that E. Cerinus and E. Caffer are more leaf hardy than a Coontie. Caffer, lehmanii and freddy G have proven to be the most cold hardy encephalartos.  We do have Laevifolius but are not testing it outside this year. I think they have a chance as being quite hardy as well. 

#1 Freddy G/Caffer - never had them burn yet.

#2 Cerinus. 

#3 Lehmanii

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2018, 7:21:39, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That longifolius looks the same still so I am super impressed. All of the Cerinus are perfect so I can say with confidence that E. Cerinus and E. Caffer are more leaf hardy than a Coontie. Caffer, lehmanii and freddy G have proven to be the most cold hardy encephalartos.  We do have Laevifolius but are not testing it outside this year. I think they have a chance as being quite hardy as well. 

#1 Freddy G/Caffer - never had them burn yet.

#2 Cerinus. 

#3 Lehmanii

Great data, but honestly I'm relieved I don't have to worry about these temps... yet.  But who knows what the temp ranges will be in the future in my little microclimate?  Most importantly, it is good data as people try to expand the private garden/commercial opportunities for cycads.  Right now, I'm worried about the quality of flushes on my cycads doing a late autumn/early winter flush.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 11/25/2018, 4:01:34, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Coontie zamia burned

15431796622494131038159107338941.jpg

Wow. Surprised. Really didn’t think coonties burned at 23f. I thought maybe around 20f to see the effect of cold/frost. 

• 2 weeks later...