IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Teddy bear cholla

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have some nice large cuttings available for $6ea. Most are 1.5" diameter and 8-12" long. They root immediately in perlite, which i also have rooted plants with multi arms for.$15. 

• Upvote 1

How do you think a rooted one would do in Florida if kept in a clay pot? Would the summer relative humidity be too much, or do you think it'd be fine?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

5 hours ago, Missi said:

How do you think a rooted one would do in Florida if kept in a clay pot? Would the summer relative humidity be too much, or do you think it'd be fine?

These grow like weeds here in AZ, literally. Be cautious with placing them. The spines on these are unreal and will latch onto skin and everything else. 

As far as humidity, keep them dry but I don’t think humidity is an issue if you keep them on the dry side. I’ve seen them growing along washes here that nearly always have water within feet of them. I think they grow faster!!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

These grow like weeds here in AZ, literally. Be cautious with placing them. The spines on these are unreal and will latch onto skin and everything else. 

As far as humidity, keep them dry but I don’t think humidity is an issue if you keep them on the dry side. I’ve seen them growing along washes here that nearly always have water within feet of them. I think they grow faster!!

Missi,

^ Agree w/ AzPalms, There in FL., keep it on the dry side, or perhaps under a patio through the rainy season there. Did the same thing w / most of my cacti i had there and had no issues w/ rot caused by the heat / humidity through the summer. Use a soil mix heavy in Pumice/ smaller sized Grow-Stones ( Man made, Pumice alternative), small lava / gravel, Turface (Calcined Clay Product) & maybe some sand.. Very little or no organics. 

Be really careful when planting, or placing it. Spines are wicked and stem joints easily detatch. Spines act like Quills when under the skin (Barbed end, not easily removed).. Quite painful when pulled out.. I scan the ground closely when i see these growing nearby when out hiking. Animals often scatter pieces of them across trails. Easy to get pieces stuck in your shoe, or foot ( for those of us normally in Sandals). 

Awesome Cholla / Cylindropuntia species regardless.. Just a bit too intimidating for me.  Kind of like hand feeding pet Rattlesnakes, ..or Cobras lol:bemused:

• Upvote 3

Silas is spot on.  These receive a lot of water as they are in with the palms, and the dew point in that area stays at 80-85 most of the summer @100F+ .  They grow EXTREMELY fast in this environment but they are dangerous if you get too close.  We root them in straight perlite.

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2018, 6:21:19, AZPalms said:

On 11/21/2018, 6:54:48, Silas_Sancona said:

Missi,

^ Agree w/ AzPalms, There in FL., keep it on the dry side, or perhaps under a patio through the rainy season there. Did the same thing w / most of my cacti i had there and had no issues w/ rot caused by the heat / humidity through the summer. Use a soil mix heavy in Pumice/ smaller sized Grow-Stones ( Man made, Pumice alternative), small lava / gravel, Turface (Calcined Clay Product) & maybe some sand.. Very little or no organics. 

Be really careful when planting, or placing it. Spines are wicked and stem joints easily detatch. Spines act like Quills when under the skin (Barbed end, not easily removed).. Quite painful when pulled out.. I scan the ground closely when i see these growing nearby when out hiking. Animals often scatter pieces of them across trails. Easy to get pieces stuck in your shoe, or foot ( for those of us normally in Sandals). 

Awesome Cholla / Cylindropuntia species regardless.. Just a bit too intimidating for me.  Kind of like hand feeding pet Rattlesnakes, ..or Cobras lol:bemused:

Thank you both for the info! I think I'd like to give one a try! I'm always tweezing Opuntia glochids from my fingers and hands, so what's one more type of prickle?! LOL

On 11/25/2018, 11:23:27, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Silas is spot on.  These receive a lot of water as they are in with the palms, and the dew point in that area stays at 80-85 most of the summer @100F+ .  They grow EXTREMELY fast in this environment but they are dangerous if you get too close.  We root them in straight perlite.

Going to pm!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: