IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Bob Burtchers - Fullerton, CA

joe_OC

I had the honor and pleasure to spend the afternoon with Mr. Bob Burtchers today.  Bob is going through some health challenges at the moment, but was gracious to invite me over for a tour.  

I already knew that I was going to be in for a treat by looking at all the existing pics of Bob's garden here on PalmTalk.  But talking with him...the discussion about design elements of his yard and how he envisions things...what a gift he gave me to impart his thoughts and ideas about palms and different plants in general.  I have a ton of pics on my DSLR to post, but was so excited, I had to get this post up.  

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Pictures of the garden?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:drool:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

SORRY... I had a written up a description of the garden and named all the palms, but it was not saved.  

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Garden Background:

Bob Burtscher's garden is located in an exclusive area of Fullerton, CA.  It sits high on a hill where it benefits from additional warmth in winter.  The estate is nestled on the  hill with a sheer slope towards the back of the house and a downward slope moving from right to left.  This creates different elevations to the garden that Bob has utilized very well to create one of the nicest gardens that I have seen in Southern California.  

This is my photo journal tour through Bob's garden.  We will be traveling in a counterclockwise path around Bob's house.  

As you enter in through the gates of Bob's estate, there is a raised planter on the right of his house that runs the full length of the property.  This part of the yard is only four years old.  Bob was an avid cycad collector in the past and his yard was filled with a very rare and old collection.  He sold his cycads and decided he wanted to collect rare, giant palms from the Dypsis genus.  Looking at the palms in the planter, it is hard to believe that they have only been recently planted in the past few years.  Those who collect these palms know how slow they can be to grow in Southern California.  Bob's are some of the largest specimens that I have seen in person.  The only plants that remain (at the request of Bob's wife) from the original planter are the well grown Pachypodiums.  They were sold to Bob as a rare dwarf variety, but as you can see, they are not.  

DSC_0200.thumb.JPG.69380c72608558679ad51

DSC_0199.thumb.JPG.26e3f7c29b510ce1e2005

DSC_0201.thumb.JPG.1205cadff14f56a887661

DSC_0202.thumb.JPG.ab9fc237b190888953052

• Upvote 6

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Dypsis prestoniana ("Big Curly" cultivar)

DSC_0126.thumb.JPG.035474b442c48b111ae00

Dypsis tokoravina

DSC_0125.thumb.JPG.813ccffe03c2ce28e19bb

Dyspis sp 'Moni Moni'

DSC_0120.JPG

• Upvote 7

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Thank you for the pics, nice unusual dypsis collection.

Salut ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Great thread Joe, thanks for taking the time to post these pictures and write up about what looks like a great garden. 

I'm jealous of the Dypsis Canaliculata as that's been on the top of my wish list for some time and I just can't seem to ever track one down.

And very cool to see the Dypsis Moni Moni.  Only place I've ever seen one of those is at Floribunda where it is Gigantic!  Didn't know of any outside of Jeff's garden though.  Also on my wish list and thankfully there's should be seedlings available soon from Floribunda for those.  

50 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Great thread Joe, thanks for taking the time to post these pictures and write up about what looks like a great garden. 

I'm jealous of the Dypsis Canaliculata as that's been on the top of my wish list for some time and I just can't seem to ever track one down.

And very cool to see the Dypsis Moni Moni.  Only place I've ever seen one of those is at Floribunda where it is Gigantic!  Didn't know of any outside of Jeff's garden though.  Also on my wish list and thankfully there's should be seedlings available soon from Floribunda for those.  

That Mony Mony came from my good friend Tri’s garden in FL. He got it from Australia. Sadly Tri died too young, but the palm lives on - just on a different coast. 

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

8 minutes ago, LJG said:

That Mony Mony came from my good friend Tri’s garden in FL. He got it from Australia. Sadly Tri died too young, but the palm lives on - just on a different coast. 

That palm was as stand out for me.  Good to hear the history behind it. 

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

7 hours ago, joe_OC said:

That palm was as stand out for me.  Good to hear the history behind it. 

Sad to hear about your friend, Tri...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Great garden and amazing shots! Thank you for sharing. I am very impressed with the succulent collection also - especially that little cluster of dudleyas and the pachypodium. And the dymondia groundcover is so neat! You can tell he has an eye for detail. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 1

On 11/21/2018, 7:45:57, joe_OC said:

Still have a bunch to post

Post! :drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, joe_OC said:

Garden Background:

Bob Burtscher's garden is located in an exclusive area of Fullerton, CA.  It sits high on a hill where it benefits from additional warmth in winter.  The estate is nestled on the  hill with a sheer slope towards the back of the house and a downward slope moving from right to left.  This creates different elevations to the garden that Bob has utilized very well to create one of the nicest gardens that I have seen in Southern California.  

This is my photo journal tour through Bob's garden.  We will be traveling in a counterclockwise path around Bob's house.  

As you enter in through the gates of Bob's estate, there is a raised planter on the right of his house that runs the full length of the property.  This part of the yard is only four years old.  Bob was an avid cycad collector in the past and his yard was filled with a very rare and old collection.  He sold his cycads and decided he wanted to collect rare, giant palms from the Dypsis genus.  Looking at the palms in the planter, it is hard to believe that they have only been recently planted in the past few years.  Those who collect these palms know how slow they can be to grow in Southern California.  Bob's are some of the largest specimens that I have seen in person.  The only plants that remain (at the request of Bob's wife) from the original planter are the well grown Pachypodiums.  They were sold to Bob as a rare dwarf variety, but as you can see, they are not.  

DSC_0200.thumb.JPG.69380c72608558679ad51

DSC_0199.thumb.JPG.26e3f7c29b510ce1e2005

DSC_0201.thumb.JPG.1205cadff14f56a887661

DSC_0202.thumb.JPG.ab9fc237b190888953052

Wonderful garden!  Reminiscent of the Sherman Library succulent garden.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A