IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pure D decaryi or hybrid?

Phoenikakias

Hybrid for sure.  Never seen D. decaryi with a green trunk like that and a petite crown shaft.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

That was my guess as well; the crown looks really lutecsens shaped. Good looking palm!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Buy it!

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

On 11/13/2018, 9:54:20, Phoenikakias said:

Found this in a nursery near my place. Trunk and leaf boots look somewhat different from a genuine decaryi.

On 11/13/2018, 11:16:25, gilles06 said:

Buy it!

I'll second that recommendation.  Definitely not a typical looking D decaryi, so if it's not a hybrid, then it is a bit of a mutant.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I use to have a similar D Decaryi hybrid it was D. decaryi X madagascariensis

But it's leaflets had a little bit of plumose effect that one doesn't.

Looks like it would be a nice palm if given some love.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, pigafetta said:

I use to have a similar D Decaryi hybrid it was D. decaryi X madagascariensis

But it's leaflets had a little bit of plumose effect that one doesn't.

Looks like it would be a nice palm if given some love.

Why not being a hybrid with D cabadae?

I'd guess it's a pure D decaryi. Old plants kept in relatively small pots can grow to look quite different to those with more freedom. Green trunk, greater spacing between trunk rings and greener leaves could be due to being greenhouse grown previously.

Still an unusual and nice looking palm. Probably worth the chance of it turning out like a normal decaryi for the chance of having something unique.

• Upvote 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

58 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Why not being a hybrid with D cabadae?

Yeah i agree most likely cabadae or even pemba, even though all the decaryi x with cabadae ive seen before look more white on the crowshaft, but hybrids are often quite variable.

Personally i think it's a hybrid, although palms can be variable in growing conditions ad dacaryi can have some green to the trunk at times, you wouldn't get growth rings so far apart in a pot bound pure decaryi, but hybrids often have a faster growing rate then both parents for some reason.

• Upvote 1

D. decaryi are not green like this palm...No green trunk/fronds.  The color on this palm alone does not look anything like a true D. decaryi, which has more glaucous fronds and grey trunk.  Can't say what the cross is with, but if I saw that palm at my nursery, it would be going home with me.  

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

not a hybrid just stunted in the pot. I see this often in the nursery trade. cultural growth rates to its environment.

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I agree with josh. Looks just stunted in the pot. Green trunk could just be from lack of sun hitting it and not holding onto its leaves as long as it would in the ground and the leaf color would be that it’s not to healthy. I’ve seen this a lot with archintophoenix. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Well I sure as hell want a stunted decaryii then!  That thing looks wicked.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I would buy it if ... What about the price? I can think two possibilities: it is an old palm (I suppose these are not very quick growers in your climate) unsold because the price is too high; or it is an old plant because nobody ever wanted to buy it and the nurseryman will give it away for a little money :-)

Would decaryi be hardy for you?

Beautiful anyway

Tomas

• Upvote 1

Or it is just a greenhouse grown, stretched, under-potted  specimen, which after its first REAL winter outdoors is going to look quite differently coming spring, if at all...

• Upvote 1