IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp 'bejoufa' wide leaf

joe_OC

Who's growing this palm?  I have one that is ready to be planted next year.  Yes, I know they are supposed to be slow, but it's such a pretty palm!  Would love to see your's and please provide any insights as to how you planted it and growing it.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1754.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I can provide pictures of two mature, fruiting trees. The first is in the garden of Rich Rawlinson who has since sold his Leilani Estates home and moved back to the mainland. (I collected a potful of seeds and now have dozens of extra plants.)

5be88b5eb971e_sp.bejofa_RichandBarbara.t

Next is a flowering tree at the Maui home of Jerry Welch.

5be88b62ad079_sp.bejouf_JWelch_082215.th

My potted seedlings are growing a lot faster than the ones I committed to the ground, which I find rather frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I have 2 wide leaf versions. 1 thin leaf and the biggest I know of the wide leaf is in So Cal is Dennis Willowbys..

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thin leaf variety has been a crazy tough grow for me . Definetly seem to like to be on the dry side . Here is one of my broad leaf that just opened up a new leaf

5082803D-E908-4B8F-99A6-FCDAA85F104F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Here's what the seedlings of Dypsis bejofo look like. IMO, bejofo and sp. bejouf (or bejoufa) are different species.

bejofo_seedlings_MLM_111118.thumb.JPG.a8

• Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

By fine leaf I believe mine are bejofo which are the tough ones for

me to grow .broad leaf came from floribunda as dypsis bejouf slow but fairly easy grow for me

Edited by JubaeaMan138
Misspelling

Mike has posted good pics of the thin leaf bejofo. The wide leaf is well shown here too. BOTH have the brain type seeds and the "other" was referenced in POM as being found just before going to press and was an obviously different species.

The thin leaf version is multiple orders more difficult to grow and Jubea Man is right that the thin leaf version prefers it dry. (It supports the hypothesis that thin leave plants come from high heat/sunlight conditions while broadleaf plants come from less light areas)

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks, Mike...Awesome pics!  I am really surprised there isn't more posts/interest in this palm.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

9 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

I can provide pictures of two mature, fruiting trees. The first is in the garden of Rich Rawlinson who has since sold his Leilani Estates home and moved back to the mainland. (I collected a potful of seeds and now have dozens of extra plants.)

5be88b5eb971e_sp.bejofa_RichandBarbara.t

Next is a flowering tree at the Maui home of Jerry Welch.

5be88b62ad079_sp.bejouf_JWelch_082215.th

My potted seedlings are growing a lot faster than the ones I committed to the ground, which I find rather frustrating.

Hi Mike,

Do you know if this is 'bejofo' j(fine leaf) or 'bejoufa'(broad leaf)?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Hi Mike,

Do you know if this is 'bejofo' j(fine leaf) or 'bejoufa'(broad leaf)?

Bejofa. You will have a hard time finding mature Bejofo outside a few gardens.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Mike has posted good pics of the thin leaf bejofo. The wide leaf is well shown here too. BOTH have the brain type seeds and the "other" was referenced in POM as being found just before going to press and was an obviously different species.

The thin leaf version is multiple orders more difficult to grow and Jubea Man is right that the thin leaf version prefers it dry. (It supports the hypothesis that thin leave plants come from high heat/sunlight conditions while broadleaf plants come from less light areas)

Bill, the “thin leaf version” is a true species and is Dypsis bejofo. It comes from the northern rainforest. It likes it wet. The “wide leaf version” is Dypsis sp. befofa. Confusing yes, due to the seed similarity. But that is a totally different palm. So there isn’t a “version” thing here. Dypsis bejofo is very hard to find, if not almost impossible. However, I believe Jeff’s plant is at the size to flower or may already be flowering. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Bejofo is rare ? Kevin weaver has hundreds of one gallon plants I’ve bought several

of them from him as I would

kill them I’d go back and buy a couple more . I’ve finally figured out what these want in my climate . I’ve had a

much harder time finding bejouf bejofa

6 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Bejofo is rare ? Kevin weaver has hundreds of one gallon plants I’ve bought several

of them from him as I would

kill them I’d go back and buy a couple more . I’ve finally figured out what these want in my climate . I’ve had a

much harder time finding bejouf bejofa

Floribunda is has 1 gal of bejouf 'wide leaf' right now.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

7 hours ago, LJG said:

Bill, the “thin leaf version” is a true species and is Dypsis bejofo. It comes from the northern rainforest. It likes it wet. The “wide leaf version” is Dypsis sp. befofa. Confusing yes, due to the seed similarity. But that is a totally different palm. So there isn’t a “version” thing here. Dypsis bejofo is very hard to find, if not almost impossible. However, I believe Jeff’s plant is at the size to flower or may already be flowering. 

Sorry, I misspoke and did not spell out the whole thing, but referenced the POM quote to point out they were a different species. Has JD actually named the bejofa as bejofa? I know the bejofo (thin leaf) is the type palm.. (I believe). I fell into the "version" as I have had people say to me personally, "oh, there are just different varieties".

I still stand by my "prefers it dry" statement though or maybe might amend it to "or prefers excessively light free draining soil". I, like JubeaMan have had more than several and the one that fared the best had the least (3"?) soil and a pretty light mix. Full 1 gals with heavier soil rotted quickly. It may have to do with my lack of heat, but JubeaMan probably has an ample supply of that.

• Like 1

Yes I do not lack the heat sometimes to much . But... I have experienced the same light fast draining mix and very little water . I used I think 70 pumice and 30 soil mix in the last ones and so far they’ve lasted a year or so.  And dont seem to be stopping . Were did yours come from bill? 

Edited by JubaeaMan138

8 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Yeah they have had them for a while now that is were mine are from. Do you have bejofo joe?

I don't have Bejofo...The pics I see are the same ones for Bejoufa?  Does anyone have pics of Bejofo?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Multiple spots over the years..Jeff Marcus, Kevin, Phil maybe others. I think the one going came from Phil.

• Like 1

Anyone know which one this is  up at Lyon arboretum on Oahu. Just starting to set seed. Absolutely a massive tree. 

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mike 

16 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Here's what the seedlings of Dypsis bejofo look like. IMO, bejofo and sp. bejouf (or bejoufa) are different species.

bejofo_seedlings_MLM_111118.thumb.JPG.a8

These are bejofo identical in size and everything to what I have . Sounds like you need to go see the weaver . Sounds like I might go buy a bunch more if they are rare like Len is saying

3 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Mike 

These are bejofo identical in size and everything to what I have . Sounds like you need to go see the weaver . Sounds like I might go buy a bunch more if they are rare like Len is saying

Thanks.  I might just do that.  So I dug this pic up from 2008.  It is from Jeff Marcus.  I want to say that it is a habitat photo.  My understanding is that it looks very similar to Carlsmithii.  

post-22-1227915321.jpg

• Upvote 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

16 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Chris beat me to it...

Colin, I suspect that is the wide leaf bejofa/bejoufa.. They grow at triple the speed of bejofo.

• Like 1

I've tried growing the true bejofo many times over the years and have kept some going for a few years but all eventually have died. Very tough grow for me! 

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

49 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Mike 

These are very slow palms and very difficult to grow. So even though Jeff had them (probably how Kevin got his), that run will get smaller and smaller as they keep dying. Look how many you have killed. RPS has had Bejofo for a while now, but it will take years to get a plant of any size worth planting. 

Have you seen any of these planted in a SoCal garden? I would say they are extremely rare. If you really want this plant in your collection, I would buy a bunch and try to grow them up to where they are plantable size. Cause most will die. Especially outside a greenhouse. Large Dypsis produce so many seed that I doubt there will ever be difficulty finding seedlings. Marcus could be offering 1000s of seedlings a year off his tree. The challenge will be finding ones large enough to plant and grow here. You won’t be finding Bejofo in Cali gardens like you do Prestos. JMHO.

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The Bejofo palm grows in the TROPICS...Bill, note the rainfall avg.  Here is the monthly temps for Maroantsetra, Madagascar:

MAROANTSETRA WEATHER BY MONTH // WEATHER AVERAGES

January February March April May June July August September October November December
Avg. Temperature (°C) 26.3 26.4 26 25.1 23.5 22 20.9 20.8 21.4 22.9 24.4 25.5
Min. Temperature (°C) 22.2 22.3 21.9 21 19.3 17.8 17.8 17.6 17.8 18.8 19.9 21.5
Max. Temperature (°C) 30.4 30.5 30.2 29.3 27.7 26.2 24 24.1 25 27 28.9 29.6
Avg. Temperature (°F) 79.3 79.5 78.8 77.2 74.3 71.6 69.6 69.4 70.5 73.2 75.9 77.9
Min. Temperature (°F) 72.0 72.1 71.4 69.8 66.7 64.0 64.0 63.7 64.0 65.8 67.8 70.7
Max. Temperature (°F) 86.7 86.9 86.4 84.7 81.9 79.2 75.2 75.4 77.0 80.6 84.0 85.3
Precipitation / Rainfall (mm) 363 397 442 438 306 255 268 204 113 79 126 284

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Since we don't know much about the Bejoufa palm, I was not able to find out where it grows to see what the climate is like.  Clearly, they can handle CA weather much better than Bejofo.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here are a couple of the Bejoufa (broad leaf) at Jerry Andersens garden in Leilani Estates. I took this photo last year when the Hawaii Island Palm Society toured his garden. 

Its hard to see just how massive these palms are in pictures when they lack a person or something for scale.  But they are huge!  I would say the largest Dypsis I've seen or at least close to it.  

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.2d55d1cd9e6b0fcd738c6

• Upvote 3

And as far as comparing Bejofo and Bejoufa (broad leaf), I would say that the Bejoufa is the far nicer plant and with Bejofo being so slow, I'm not sure it's worth trying to grow, especially in a non tropical environment. Maybe Mike Knell can post a picture of the true Bejofo at Floribunda on this thread. It is very old and is a much smaller palm than this one they are calling Bejoufa (broad leaf). 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hilo Jason said:

And as far as comparing Bejofo and Bejoufa (broad leaf), I would say that the Bejoufa is the far nicer plant and with Bejofo being so slow, I'm not sure it's worth trying to grow, especially in a non tropical environment. Maybe Mike Knell can post a picture of the true Bejofo at Floribunda on this thread. It is very old and is a much smaller palm than this one they are calling Bejoufa (broad leaf). 

I couldn't agree with you more, Jason.  Bejoufa is a much prettier palm in my eyes.  And the fact that it might trunk for me in my lifetime makes it a much better choice than Bejofo.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Some old threads with pics of both palms in question at young and larger sizes..

• Like 1

Jason, I agree man. Bejofo is not a looker like Bejofa is. The only reason I even have Bejofo in my garden is because of that damn collectors disease. POM describes Bejofo as “massive” and says it one of the most impressive palms in Madagascar too. Odd. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Actually, I think I am going to add MORE Bejoufa's to my order with Floribunda!  :drool:

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

3 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

I couldn't agree with you more, Jason.  Bejoufa is a much prettier palm in my eyes.  And the fact that it might trunk for me in my lifetime makes it a much better choice than Bejofo.  

It seems like even the Bejoufa is pretty slow when small. Even here in Hilo. They must speed up as they get some size to them based on how large they are when I see them around at gardens (floribunda, Jerry Andersen, etc...)

as Len mentioned, Dennis Willoughby has the largest in California and it's probably still a long ways from trunking. I'm sure there are pictures of that one here on Palm Talk. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

Actually, I think I am going to add MORE Bejoufa's to my order with Floribunda!  :drool:

When you and I are sitting on rockers we can plant them together. :)

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

9 minutes ago, LJG said:

Jason, I agree man. Bejofo is not a looker like Bejofa is. The only reason I even have Bejofo in my garden is because of that damn collectors disease. POM describes Bejofo as “massive” and says it one of the most impressive palms in Madagascar too. Odd. 

I have wondered on occasion if the "bejofa" is the type palm in POM and "bejofo" (As we know both of them) is the one discovered at printing time...

And there goes Jason giving one of my few credits to Len.. :bemused: about Dennis' palm. Speaking of which, anyone have a recent pic?

• Like 1

The large tree pictures are of the broad leaf species. If you have ever been to Bo Lundkvist's old garden, he had a grove of them. Here is a picture taken in 2015 of Jeff Marcus's Dypsis bejofo.

bejofo_true_JM_042915.thumb.JPG.48efa2da

• Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I have wondered on occasion if the "bejofa" is the type palm in POM and "bejofo" (As we know both of them) is the one discovered at printing time...

And there goes Jason giving one of my few credits to Len.. :bemused: about Dennis' palm. Speaking of which, anyone have a recent pic?

Sorry Bill!  :-)