IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potenial Palms for Eastern NC and Tidewater VA

NC_Palms

I have been working on a list of potential palm for the eastern regions of NC and VA. Many of these palms are underutilized, yet are hardy for either North Carolina or Virginia.

Also, it is important to add that many of the palms provided probably can be grown in a zone cooler if sheltered in a warm microclimate. I hope y'all find this useful in a way.

Zone 7a

Rhapidophyllum histrix

Zone 7b

Sabal birmingham

Sabal brazorensis

Sabal minor (native)

Sabal palmetto var BHI (native)

Trachycarpus fortunei

Trachycarpus nanus

Trachycarpus princeps

Trachycarpus takil

Zone 8a

Brahea armata

Chamaerops humilis

Jubaea chilensis  

Jubaea x syagrus

Sabal etonia

Sabal mexicana

Sabal miamiensis

Sabal palmetto (native)

Sabal uresana

Serenoa repens
Washingtonia filibusta

Washingtonia filifera

Zone 8b

Butia catarinensis

Butia eirosphata

Butia odorata

Livinstonia chinesis

Pheonix canariensis

Pheonix sylvestris

Pheonix theophrasti

Sabal bermudana

Sabal causarium

Sabal domingensis

Washingtonia robusta

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

The temperatures you quoted are near the lowest these palms can be guaranteed to survive unprotected, but not thrive if they average the temps in these zones.  Many can survive being wrapped without heat in the winter to half a zone colder or more.  Some better if you keep the crown dry.  I also used a brick wall and dryer vent to keep my palms warm when I lived in SE VA.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

You might be able to torture an Acrocomia totai in the 9a section of NC for a few years. 

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

this last winter many canary island date palms were hugely damaged as well as washys and other date species in southern NC 

heres some pictures of the carnage27073266_10155145379347483_697959483787027459545_10155145398342483_793757006308736043824_10155468320312483_3259982466605

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword

On 11/14/2018, 12:38:47, VA Jeff said:

The temperatures you quoted are near the lowest these palms can be guaranteed to survive unprotected, but not thrive if they average the temps in these zones.  Many can survive being wrapped without heat in the winter to half a zone colder or more.  Some better if you keep the crown dry.  I also used a brick wall and dryer vent to keep my palms warm when I lived in SE VA.

This list is what I have personally noticed with palms in NC and VA. A lot of the more tender species are best reserved to the Cape Fear region. 

@Mr.SamuraiSword The Phoenixes didn't do so well but I have noticed they are making a comeback. I should have noted but many of the tender palms are root hardy after defoliation. And with the palmettos in the OBX; yeah they aren't doing that great but go further south and they are all fine. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 11/14/2018, 12:56:53, RedRabbit said:

You might be able to torture an Acrocomia totai in the 9a section of NC for a few years

I heard of people torturing Syagrus romanzoffiana on the Crystal Coast. I think only protecting on the coldest of nights 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I would put Sabal minor under zone 7a, especially the cold hardiest varieties (McCurtain, Northeast Texas, South Arkansas, North Alabama, and Northeast North Carolina). There are some places with thriving Sabal minor in cold parts of zone 7a in non-sheltered locations. 

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I would put Sabal minor under zone 7a, especially the cold hardiest varieties (McCurtain, Northeast Texas, South Arkansas, North Alabama, and Northeast North Carolina). There are some places with thriving Sabal minor in cold parts of zone 7a in non-sheltered locations. 

You're correct. I think Alabama has some Sabal minor in zone 7a. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

12 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

You're correct. I think Alabama has some Sabal minor in zone 7a. 

Technically 7b (in the Weiss Lake area of Cherokee county)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 11/15/2018, 9:26:28, kinzyjr said:

Technically 7b (in the Weiss Lake area of Cherokee county)

*I miss read some information and posted it here incorrectly, can't delete it.*

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

59 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

*I miss read some information and posted it here incorrectly, can't delete it.*

Not a big deal.  The most hardy varieties of this palm easily grow in zone 7a area.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

25 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Not a big deal.  The most hardy varieties of this palm easily grow in zone 7a area.

The info I miss read was the record low for Centre (the are where some of the Weiss Lake minors are found), I thought it was lower than ours but it wasn't. I have a hardy variety going in the ground this Spring. 

PalmTreeDude