IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I think my mystery palm is a Licuala

metalfan

I posted this palm before. I repotted it, and took another photo. This is a mystery palm. I have come to believe that it is a Licuala, mainly because I have/had a bunch of them, and bev=cause it looks like one. It has vicious spines like many of them do as well. Does anyone recognize my wayward child?

IMG_2621.JPG

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

I have a big Licuala spinosa in the ground. This potted palm has always been away from that location and was never planted in the ground. But it does resemble it very much

The spikes remind me of Livistona saribus :blink::rage:<--because it's the only emoticon with teeth

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

The shape, spacing, and size of the thorns doesn't look like Licuala.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hmm...

Very interesting.

I believe you may have a species of Pholidocarpus in your collection. If it was grown from seed or purchased as a seedling or small plant within the last ten years or more, chances are it is either Pholidocarpus kingianus or Pholidocarpus majadum, which are very similar and may be lumped together in the future.

These two species have popped into cultivation on and off in that period of time and your plant resembles a Pholidocarpus with the grouped segments and those incredible spines. The newest and largest leaf also has a slight costa extension which is a feature with Pholidocarpus. Another key feature of this genus, is the appearance of yellow-colored, parallel stripes that develop on the lower petioles and leaf bases. Your plant looks like it is too small to develop this trait yet, but if it does, that would be a great sign.

Have you been protecting this plant from severe cold? Pholidocarpus have been known for being cold sensitive. Other than this, specimens have not been the hardest palm to grow, they are just extremely rare. The seed are difficult to get and the viability is very short.

You are a great grower, but do take care of it as there are not many around, a lot fewer since the 2010 cold, and I can't predict when seed or plants may become available.

Ryan

South Florida

WOW Ryan thanks! I will be on the lookout for the striping. Yes, I do protect it from cold, it is in the greenhouse and I keep it always at least 50 in winter. The name of the palm does not sound familiar to me....but most of my palms were purchased from Floribunda and a place that used to be in Miami, I can't remember the name, but it was run by a family from India I believe....all are at least 10 years old. It was neglected for a few years, I had a lot of family issues to deal with and had to let my greenhouse hobby suffer somewhat, which is why you see some cut off fronds, but I am taking good care of all my plants again now and it seems to be doing well. I have not grown any palms from seed ever except some bamboo palms (the Chamaedorea) so if this is a Pholidocarpus it was purchased as a seedling or small plant. It is also possible that it was sent to me by mistake....one of my palms from Hawaii was supposed to be one thing and was actually another, so there could have been another mistake made.

Oh my gosh I just looked up P. kingianus and that does look like my palm! WOW it gets HUGE. It must be very slow growing, yes? I hope so or I will never be able to keep it long term

3 hours ago, metalfan said:

Oh my gosh I just looked up P. kingianus and that does look like my palm! WOW it gets HUGE. It must be very slow growing, yes? I hope so or I will never be able to keep it long term

The majority of the plants I have seen in cultivation have been container grown and have been slow growing. Not the slowest but not moderate either. I see no reason why specimens cannot be kept containerized for a long time. I know of a few larger ones in pots that look perfect. I have seen attempts to grow Pholidocarpus in the ground with mixed results. They do not like wet, mucky soils and juvenile plants seem to have no tolerance of any direct sun, even just partial sun. The genus is related to both Livistona, Licuala and maybe one other genus and seems to grow like a mix between the two former ones. Specimens in their native habitats have been known to grow extremely tall, like skyscraper tall.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Well, I will be long dead before then. Whoever has this place after me could cut a hole in th greenhouse roof I guess!

Livistona saribus. Pholidocarpus spines are arranged differently and I see no yellow lines on the petiole. Done.

A 7 gal. specimen of Pholidocarpus kingianus for comparison with the photos above.

- This was the best choice for comparison in its group. It was the smallest one in the block and it was ready for photos.

DSC_0798.thumb.JPG.7313575d907a72e09e5f6DSC_0805.thumb.JPG.3bdfb9ac17309ecaed273

- A view of the lower leaf blade and the segments.

DSC_0796.thumb.JPG.1249942371597bc06e5bbDSC_0797.thumb.JPG.79f375f89aa73535daf28

- I noticed how rigid and stout the leaf blades and segments are to the touch. (B) An up-close view of the leaf bases and petioles. (C) A shot of one of the petioles showing the beginnings of the petiole stripes.

DSC_0795.thumb.JPG.b1ccad224630096150439DSC_0801.thumb.JPG.ae6d9b695c8071ed44ff8DSC_0802.thumb.JPG.bc005065124cf288221ba

- Views looking down into the base. (C) The last photo was taken without the flash, to try and show better color.

DSC_0803.thumb.JPG.d73ad9523b9c5f5f23afbDSC_0807.thumb.JPG.117bb5276699b8d63e9b9DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.cc536e437de7601815852

If your plant turns out to be a P. kingianus, I think it would be a great find, even in your own collection. ^_^ You should know more about it as it grows. I didn't have time to hunt down a Livistona saribus for a further comparison, but if I run into one at the plant sale this weekend, I will photograph it.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Well, that does look exactly like my plant. I am wondering if this was a plant that was given to me by Kyle Wicomb before he left Gainesville to go to medical school. I think I remember him having this palm, and he did give me some of his plants when he left

I think this is a dead ringer Gina. Nice job Palmarum. Done!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

LOL I think we all have a mystery palm or 2 (or 3-4-5 in my case)

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2018, 7:48:23, metalfan said:

LOL I think we all have a mystery palm or 2 (or 3-4-5 in my case)

Well, that's why we come here for help. Almost always our group is very good with putting a name to a palm. Not so much the case with other plant groups. Croton ID can drive you crazy along with other families of plants.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.