IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nutrient Deficiencies of Landscape Palms Resource

joe_OC

After updating my Dypsis baronii post from nine years ago, I realized I needed to be able to identify nutrient deficiencies better in my palms.  This document from the University of Florida was the most comprehensive I have found so far:

U of F Nutrient Deficiencies of Landscape and Field Grown Palms

If you have better references, please share.  It would be great to have a repository for palm nutrition.

• Upvote 4

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The book Ornamental Palm Horticulture is a must have! It has photos of every pest, disease, and deficiency! 

GUEST_8f558eba-99d8-4080-98d9-7fe2b9a86d7d.jpg

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 11/8/2018, 9:47:24, Missi said:

The book Ornamental Palm Horticulture is a must have! It has photos of every pest, disease, and deficiency! 

GUEST_8f558eba-99d8-4080-98d9-7fe2b9a86d7d.jpg

It's on it's way!

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

So I learned that chelated iron is not all created equal.  If you have alkaline soil, you will need to use EDDHA chelated iron.  The following graph shows how the efficient iron uptake based on soil pH:

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 6.26.57 PM.png

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 2018-11-07, 3:50:24, joe_OC said:

After updating my Dypsis baronii post from nine years ago, I realized I needed to be able to identify nutrient deficiencies better in my palms.  This document from the University of Florida was the most comprehensive I have found so far:

U of F Nutrient Deficiencies of Landscape and Field Grown Palms

If you have better references, please share.  It would be great to have a repository for palm nutrition.

Great piece. After seeing this it looks a bunch of my palms are all missing at least one of these. 

• Like 1