IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordless Mowers.... users please share experiences .

Bill H2DB

Having ( I hope ) having staggered thru  the main mowing season , here in N. Central Fla , I am going to

buy a new mower . I have kept the thing that I have going for about 30 years . New chassis twice , many cables , wheels etc .

The bed is ok , but spindles are gone . All 4 wheels need replaced etc .

Engine still runs well , and I can continue the rigging game , but I am getting pretty old , and figure that I deserve to  have a new mower. .

So , being Frugal,  aka cheap , not withstanding , and having a comparatively small yard to mow , I may want to take the 

plunge to Cordless .  I have an older cordless Leaf and string trimmer ( via CraigsList ) , and they do well. only 20 v , but I have 2 batteries .

Rarely need to switch them , for their intended use .

I figure that a 40v , 20" might work for me.

So actual users comments , please..........  hoping to take advantage of end of season sales .........

I recently bought a Ryobi battery powered mower. Tiny area to mow. Best decision I ever made regarding a lawnmower. Too bad  you are in Florida, I'd give you my old gas powered mower for free. 5 years old and too fussy for me to deal with.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sears is going out of business. Maybe a Craftsman? We have a Craftsman riding mower and push mower that we're extremely hard on. Happy with them!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Yeah . I'll be looking at all of them .

BTW , Craftsman was sold to (  B&D ?? ), last year , and has been sold at Ace and others for a while now.

I've bought a lot of Craftsman tools over the years....good stuff .

Thanks .

My gas powered mower is a Craftsman. PITA, IMO. Not long after I bought it, they quit servicing them, and I am no mechanic. Someone with tools and knowhow could probably keep it running for the next 20 years.  Anyone in San Diego who wants to take it off my hands, send a PM!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Actually Lowes sells Craftsman now so I assume they bought the rights from Sears?

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

5 hours ago, Missi said:

Sears is going out of business. Maybe a Craftsman? We have a Craftsman riding mower and push mower that we're extremely hard on. Happy with them!

Sears might be on the way out, but the brands will likely be sold. Just got a nice vacuum cleaner for all the cat hair . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

My gas powered mower is a Craftsman. PITA, IMO. Not long after I bought it, they quit servicing them, and I am no mechanic. Someone with tools and knowhow could probably keep it running for the next 20 years.  Anyone in San Diego who wants to take it off my hands, send a PM!

Post in the Freebies section!

I'd take it, except I haven't had a lawn in 14 years . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm a big fan of electric tools, if they're usable for the job.

Those pain in the a$$ two-cycle engines get to be a career in themselves to deal with. I have both electric and gas chain saws, and by the time someone gets the gas saw running, I've already finished the job with the electric.

That said, gas will give you more raw power, and those power cords won't be a problem. If you get an electric chain saw, avoid the cheap ones, unless you literally cut down one tree or branch every few years. (As opposed to the La Habra Palm Tree Editing Festival.)

• Upvote 2

I have a corded Bolens electric mower that I got used ($0 - talk about thrifty). I had a cordless (Kobalt) but I spent more time waiting for the battery to charge than it took to mow the lawn. At first, dragging the cord around was annoying; now I hardly think about it. I've developed some fancy cowboy-lasso maneuvers to keep it out of the way so I can move around uninterrupted.

• Upvote 3

Dave, the problem with two-cycle gas chainsaws is that the gasoline-oil mixture evaporates during storage, leaving behind the oily residue in the carburetor. When I am finished using the saw I dump out* the remnant fuel and then run the saw until all the remaining fuel is completely consumed.

Subsequent start-ups are then 'no problem'.  :)

* You can make a disposable funnel from aluminum foil to return the gas to the storage can.

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

Way back when.......when I had grass, the gas mower was around for years until things started to break on it.

So, I replaced it with an electric mower. At the time, the grass area was about 1200 SQ in size. The mower handled it with no problem. They are much lighter, and probably less maintenance overall. 

Six month after I bought the mower, I removed all the grass. The wife was not happy but my cycad garden that replaced it made me happy.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Way back when.......when I had grass, the gas mower was around for years until things started to break on it.

So, I replaced it with an electric mower. At the time, the grass area was about 1200 SQ in size. The mower handled it with no problem. They are much lighter, and probably less maintenance overall. 

Six month after I bought the mower, I removed all the grass. The wife was not happy but my cycad garden that replaced it made me happy.

No grass=Happy :D

• Upvote 3

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

11 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Dave, the problem with two-cycle gas chainsaws is that the gasoline-oil mixture evaporates during storage, leaving behind the oily residue in the carburetor. When I am finished using the saw I dump out* the remnant fuel and then run the saw until all the remaining fuel is completely consumed.

Subsequent start-ups are then 'no problem'.  :)

* You can make a disposable funnel from aluminum foil to return the gas to the storage can.

You go ahead and do that.

I'll just clean out, and plug the electric in.

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

My grass was in the sights from the day I moved in. Half an acre of Devil grass . . .

The best lawn mower is heavy canopy, which kills the grass. Mua ha ha ha ha ha

• Upvote 4

I've only had my house for a little more than a year and there was a lot of clean-up of unwanted growth - the result of more than 15 years of neglect - so I still have most of the lawn I inherited from the previous owner. My plan, however, is to reduce it to what I call a "good neighbor lawn" - a band of turf between the foundation and the sidewalk, so the house has a relatively conventional street presence and harmonizes with its neighbors. The house is pretty close to the sidewalk, so this lawn will be about the size of a couple of room-size rugs. But behind this façade of conventionality, all tropical hell is going to break loose!

Dave - the entire south side of the property is shaded by a giant live oak, under which nary a blade of grass is thriving. It's my favorite garden area and not just because you really, really need shade if you want to garden in southern Alabama.

Edited by Manalto
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

I've only had my house for a little more than a year and there was a lot of clean-up of unwanted growth - the result of more than 15 years of neglect - so I still have most of the lawn I inherited from the previous owner. My plan, however, is to reduce it to what I call a "good neighbor lawn" - a band of turf between the foundation and the sidewalk, so the house has a relatively conventional street presence and harmonizes with its neighbors. The house is pretty close to the sidewalk, so this lawn will be about the size of a couple of room-size rugs. But behind this façade of conventionality, all tropical hell is going to break loose!

Dave - the entire south side of the property is shaded by a giant live oak, under which nary a blade of grass is thriving. It's my favorite garden area and not just because you really, really need shade if you want to garden in southern Alabama.

Don’t plant Braheas under the live oak 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Don’t plant Braheas under the live oak 

I envision a population of Chamaedorea radicalis here and a cluster of Cycas debaoensis there. I'd also love to find a tree fern that would thrive in my conditions. I'm just nuts about their ancient appearance.

Edited by Manalto
botanical name italics
  • Upvote 2

My mower is 10 years old 6.5 horse power. Not much grass except in the easement between the sidewalk and street. In the summer during the rainy season I need all that horsepower. Not sure they have a battery powered unit that can tackle the job.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

" My mower is 10 years old 6.5 horse power. Not much grass except in the easement between the sidewalk and street. In the summer during the rainy season I need all that horsepower. Not sure they have a battery powered unit that can tackle the job."

Lowes and Home Depot both offer battery mowers up to 80-82 volt , and down thru 60 , 56 , 40 , 20 volt .

From responses here , and talking around , I think that a 40 volt will do me .   Snapper has the one at 82 volt.

In fact , since I can cut mine in sections , a 20 volt might do.    But I will step up a notch or 2 .

I had a Black & Decker cordless mower about fifteen years ago when I lived in Northern California.  It worked great! 

Our lawn is so tiny now that we can get by with a simple push mower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a HUGE fan of Ego cordless yard tools.  They operate on 56 volts, which is one of the highest for residential use.  I have just about all of them besides their mower.  Unfortunately, they don't make a reel front throw mower for  my type of grass.  Here is a picture of one of their mowers:

ego-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-lm2100sp-

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24