IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

naturalized Sabal Palmetto

Sabal_Louisiana

I have noticed quite a few examples of what appears to be Sabal palmetto (not Sabal minor) growing wild west of its native range, e.g. in SE Louisiana, coastal Mississippi, along the coast of the Fla panhandle E of Panama City. These are usually one or a few and love fence lines of abandoned/vacant lots or wooded areas/ditches along major highways. When young they might be mistaken for the native dwarf palmetto but are unmistakable as they grow up. I will try to post a few pics of some that I have seen. Sometimes, their source can be identified, such as a plant nursery a few hundred yards away.

• Upvote 3

I saw a bunch while I was in New Orleans for a month. S. palmetto is really common there as a street tree so it makes sense that it would naturalize. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

This is a big surprise. I always thought its native range wrapped around the top of the Gulf Coast as far as Texas, but I checked some more scholarly sources and it's much more limited. There are reports from the early history of Mobile of native sabals growing there. I guess that's about its westernmost limit?

Edited by Manalto

From what I heard the native range isnt even to the end of the Florida panhandle, but historical limits could prove otherwise. I have read that early settlers found trunking palms off the coast of Virginia well before the mini ice age that started in the mid to late 1700s. So it's more than possible it could have stretched further across the gulf coast.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, found this pic I took a while back of what appears to be Phoenix canariensis growing in a wooded area in Grand Isle, LA although can't rule out that it was planted there:

IMG_0056.JPG

• Upvote 1