IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

Hello, I am kind of confused about the differences between the Florida Thatch Palm (Thrinax radiata) and the Key Thatch Palm (Leucothrinax morrisii). Do they both grow in the same parts of Florida or are the Key thatch Palms exclusive to just the Keys and the Florida Thatch Palms found more inland? I heard of one of them being found right along the coast in deep South Florida, but I am not sure which one that was. Also what do their seeds look like? Thank you for reading this, I am a bit confused. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Both are native to the FL Keys and parts of the Caribbean. T. radiata grows taller - to 40' with great age - with a trunk only 5" diameter. Its floppy leaves get large, 4-5' wide and lime green. Leucothrinax grows up to 30' tall with an 8" diameter trunk. Its leaves are much smaller, 2-3' wide, bluish green on top and lighter underneath. Leucothrinax may be slightly cold hardier (to warmer parts of 9a), T. radiata to 9b. I have both species and they are easy to tell apart. I see T. radiata around town in street plantings, maybe because it is commoner and more striking looking. I've yet to see Leucothrinax used that way.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Radiata is a lush looking green palm. Morisii has blue in the underside and green on top. But since some people cut the lower leaves off and just leave the leaves pointing upwards, it can sonetimes look blue overall.

Morrissi really only grows on Big Pine Key and a few other nearby keys, I think Radiata is more widespread. They are both cool looking palms. IMO radiata looks good planted in groupings and as understory to bigger palms to give a lush rainforest look whereas Morrisii looks better as a single specimen planted on a lawn.

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Leucothrinax Morrisii very slow, also called brittle thatch, and rightly so. My branches always break when in strong winds/storms. T. radiata, faster, more flexible leaves. Mine above the house now.

8D72BBC7-1B5A-4C78-AB4D-459935E0CA6B.jpeg

3EED540A-E37E-430F-B2CC-F3CB77B4E38B.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

I've been wanting to try both of these up here in Volusia County. Dent Smith's old property in Daytona Beach has a huge Thrinax radiata with about 20 ft clear trunk so I thing they are safe here. Not sure though 

• Upvote 1

They are definitely worth a try, I think Leuco morrisii is the hardiest.

• Upvote 2

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Thrinax radiata - large,heavy,lime green fronds.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15406609461413794111059735865109.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Leucothrinax morrisii - smaller green fronds with blue undersides. Both species seem to have proven themselves hardy in the Arizona desert.Only problem here is finding one for sale.I grew both of these from seed I collected in the Florida keys.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15406615627496064819221417488715.jpg

• Upvote 4

Mesa, Arizona

Leucothrinax morrisii - seedlings just germinating over the last 2 weeks.These will look like blades of grass for about the next 3 years! (1 gallon community pot)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15406618034622895891584773684659.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Leucothrinax morrisii - smaller green fronds with blue undersides. Both species seem to have proven themselves hardy in the Arizona desert.Only problem here is finding one for sale.I grew both of these from seed I collected in the Florida keys.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15406615627496064819221417488715.jpg

So humidity isn’t an issue obviously even though when you read up on it. It says needs a humid environment. I ask because I have 3 seedlings one lead and one is majorly brown tipping the others look great and they are in a prettt humid environment 

• Upvote 2

Actually,the first inch or so of nearly every palm frond in my yard has a brown tip.Humidity for 9 months each year is only around 5% or less.I can grow many varieties of palms,just not to tropical perfection.I'm happy with the tradeoff though, and feel lucky that I am at least able to enjoy them for what they are.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

In my opinion, thrinax radiata looks much nicer.  It is a common tree planted in street medians throughout South Florida. I am not a fan of them when juvenile, but they look fantastic when they grow tall.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Hello, I am kind of confused about the differences between the Florida Thatch Palm (Thrinax radiata) and the Key Thatch Palm (Leucothrinax morrisii). Do they both grow in the same parts of Florida or are the Key thatch Palms exclusive to just the Keys and the Florida Thatch Palms found more inland? I heard of one of them being found right along the coast in deep South Florida, but I am not sure which one that was. Also what do their seeds look like? Thank you for reading this, I am a bit confused. 

I have a bunch of thrinax radiata seeds out in the nursery right now.  The fruit on them is white.  The seeds themselves are a little bigger than a BB and are a light green.  You can see them in the photo by Paul Craft here: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Thrinax_radiata

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Here's the tallest L. morrisii in Florida:

IMG_7981.thumb.jpg.bf81b63b91510af594e6f

Here's one in the wild on Big Pine Key.

IMG_7755.thumb.jpg.636b2b5c3cc97b22cf3b6

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)