Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fruit on Sabal minor heading into fall

7 posts in this topic

This summer I finally got two of my Sabal minors putting out fruit. All the seeds have firmed up but are still green and aren't fully ripe. Unfortunately we are in fall and while we haven't had a frost yet it won't be long. Will they ripen when we reach low temps and if not if I remove them and let them dry will they still be viable for propagation?

MinorSeedsCloseupE.jpg

MinorSeedsW.JPG

Edited by JSKeys

They should still ripen.  They usually get ripe by the end of November and will likely be viable unless you get one of those insane arctic blasts.  Even then, some have had luck with stratified seeds, so you can't rule out viability after a deep freeze either.

Like kinzyjr said, they still should be viable. Some of their native habitats already got frost. They will ripen soon, make sure you do not pick them too early, let them get fully black first. Do you have a picture of the full plant? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

I'm very familiar with Mid-Atlantic weather and I seriously doubt you will get cold enough weather to damage those seeds before at least mid-winter and maybe not even then. S. minor is a tough palm. Seeds will turn black when ripe. Good work. Welcome to PalmTalk

Here are photos of the two palms. They were planted in 2007 as bare root palms I got from Chilly Palm in SC. They were protected the first two winters just with a frame with burlap to break the wind but since 2009 they have been bullet proof!

Thanks for all the great info...these are the first of my palms to get seeds.

MinorE.JPG

MinorW.JPG

What do you plan on doing with the seeds? If you dont mind me asking...

They're viable now.Cut the stalks & put them in a paper bag for a couple weeks. Easier to clean that way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• What do you think of my protection method?
      By pennerchris@gmail.com
      Here's how I'm attempting to protect my palms: I wrapped a couple of little filiferas in Christmas lights and attached a thermo cube. I've done this to just the trunk before and it was fine, but in my climate I can expect total defoliation every year. I'm trying to avoid that by binding the fronds and wrapping all the way to the top.
      Is there any way this will backfire on me? 

• acromomia totai seeds/seedlings wanted
      By kboo
      Hi guys does anyone know where i can purchase either seeds or seedlings of this species?
      Thanks in advance Kevin
    • Who Grows Larger Sabal minor In Pots?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Who here grows larger (as in older) Sabal minor in pots? How is their growth rate? I might put a bunch in pots because I may end up moving (locally) and it would suck if I planted a bunch in the ground just to leave them in the next year. 
    • How to germinate Cycas siamensis Dwarf seeds
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today I received seeds of Cycas siamensis Dwarf. I haven't germinated cycad seeds before so can someone give me germination instructions? Do I treat them as if they were palm seeds: soak 24-48 hours, sow in community pot, cover with a thin layer of potting mix? Thanks for any help.
      These are the seeds I received.

• Roystonea Royal palm seed viability
      By dwimss
      Hello, 
      I got some fresh seeds from a royal palm (Roystonea Regia), and I'm wondering how long it takes to lose viability it's winter here I do have a green house but it gets cold during the nights (10-15 C / 50-60F).
      I think it's best to wait t'ill May and plant them during the hot period but I'm afraid that at this time they will lose their viability, In my experience most of palm tree seeds tend to lose viability quickly after harvesting.
      PS : During the day the temperature in my green house is around 30-35C / 85-95F sunny days only.
      What do you think, is it  better to wait 6-7 months and plant them ?