IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Glyphosate in your palm garden?

DoomsDave

Do you use glyphosate in your garden?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. I use glyphosate

• Regularly in large amounts, 1 pint, or 0.5 L or more concentrate per month
    • Seasonally in large amounts
    • Regularly in medium amounts, 1 pint or 0.5 L concentrate per THREE months
    • Seasonally in medium amounts
    • Regularly in small amounts, 1 pint or 0.5 L concentrate per SIX months
    • Seasonally in small amounts
    • Regularly in very small amounts, 1 pint or 0.5 L concentrate or less per YEAR
    • Seasonally in very small amounts
    • Never use the stuff

I've been watching the "Roundup Case" with interest. I use Roundup, which is Monsanto's license for glyphosate, and other brands, in my garden to control post-emergent weeds. I remember back when it came out in the 1970s; it was a godsend. Unlike 2-4-D, it killed grasses, too.

I try to use it sparingly, but some, including "factory farmers" use oceans of the stuff.

A jury in San Francisco found that glyphosate gave a school groundskeeper Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. At one point he got large amounts of concentrate on his body, or so I read. Whatever caused it, I can agree that NHL is terrible for the groundskeeper and his family.

I plan to continue to use glyphosate, as carefully as I can: not getting concentrate on me; not spraying plants I or the cats will be eating; using only when and where needed.

Curious to know what others might think. Please, be nice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/10/jury-orders-monsanto-pay-289-million-cancer-patient-roundup-lawsuit/962297002/

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Yeah, looks like her honor made a mistake on the punitives amount. The US Supreme court held a while back that the limit was supposed to be 10 times the base amount.

The fun, as we lawyers like to say, has just begun.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

,......not spraying plants I or the cats will be eating.....

Dave, when did you start eating cats?

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

42 minutes ago, John Case said:

,......not spraying plants I or the cats will be eating.....

Dave, when did you start eating cats?

I don't eat cats, all that hair gets all over the place.

Thanks to all who have responded!

I use it regularly in medium amounts, year round.

Just curious: what do you do if you don't use glyphosate? I have used other methods, especially the Cardboard Cure to deal with weeds like Purple Nut Sedge (of Doom). Just curious.

I'm good with the responsible use of scientifically studied chemicals in my garden. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 3

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Here in east Hawaii Island (over 150 inches of rain to date this year), where the grass and weeds grow like Jack's beanstalk, I don't know how I could manage without it. I  just spray around the base of palms, trying to avoid the leaves, trunk, or roots. Large areas of California grass will get sprayed. I use twice the concentration recommended by the commercial Roundup mixes for garden use. If Monsanto comes up with a substitute that doesn't cause cancer, I will happily switch.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

2 minutes ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Here in east Hawaii Island (over 150 inches of rain to date this year), where the grass and weeds grow like Jack's beanstalk, I don't know how I could manage without it. I  just spray around the base of palms, trying to avoid the leaves, trunk, or roots. Large areas of California grass will get sprayed. I use twice the concentration recommended by the commercial Roundup mixes for garden use. If Monsanto comes up with a substitute that doesn't cause cancer, I will happily switch.

I think that the greenskeeper's case was rather unique, if still tragic. He got a lot of the stuff on large areas of his body in the course of his job. I think most of us manage to avoid that, thank heaven.

What really sucks is just how prevalent carcinogens in general are. Even some medical treatments can contribute to cancers, including chemo and radiation therapies. Charred meat and mold spores also contain carcinogens.

12 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Just curious: what do you do if you don't use glyphosate? I have used other methods, especially the Cardboard Cure to deal with weeds like Purple Nut Sedge (of Doom). Just curious.

I physically pull most of the weeds in my planting beds, but some have very deep roots.  For those, I'll pull all but the top 4" of the weed off, then drench the remaining stalk with Roundup.  Virginia creeper, a native plant and perennial pain in the neck, is almost impossible to control without Roundup.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, kinzyjr said:

I physically pull most of the weeds in my planting beds, but some have very deep roots.  For those, I'll pull all but the top 4" of the weed off, then drench the remaining stalk with Roundup.  Virginia creeper, a native plant and perennial pain in the neck, is almost impossible to control without Roundup.

Bet all that weightlifting helps! Wait till you get to be a feeble old goat like me . . . .

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Mulch!  I was mulching very heavily for a few years straight  8 inches of mulch kills off any weeds that want to grow.  My back was not happy with me.  I switched over to small black lava rock as my mulch now.  I use a lot of humic acid to make up for the organics the plants use to get from mulch.  I also find planting companion plants like ti's, heliconias, crotons, tropical begonias, ferns, and bromeliads don't give weeds a chance to grow.  When I do have weeds, I just manually pluck them out.   Then again, I don't have huge properties as some of you.

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just now, joe_OC said:

Mulch!  I was mulching very heavily for a few years straight  8 inches of mulch kills off any weeds that want to grow.  My back was not happy with me.  I switched over to small black lava rock as my mulch now.  I use a lot of humic acid to make up for the organics the plants use to get from mulch.  I also find planting companion plants like ti's, heliconias, crotons, tropical begonias, ferns, and bromeliads don't give weeds a chance to grow.  When I do have weeds, I just manually pluck them out.   Then again, I don't have huge properties as some of you.

In the shade, I can pull the weeds. And, I mulch, too, with wood chips, though that's starting to get too expensive.

But no mortal human can pull Devil Grass, aka Bermuda Grass or Metastasis Grass. You only end up spreading it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

I have considered allowing ferns and certain ground covers to spread over my beds to keep the weeds away.  Sounds like I need to do more than think about it.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

14 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I have considered allowing ferns and certain ground covers to spread over my beds to keep the weeds away.  Sounds like I need to do more than think about it.

Consider very carefully, and be prepared to go on a pogrom if a ground cover starts to get out of hand.

In addition to Metastasis Grass in the sun, there's the infamous Metastasis Fern of DoomTM in the shade, also known, so benignly as the Boston Fern or Nephrolepis exaltata. "Fluffy Ruffles" on the Huns! People think I'm joking. They're like the Gremlins from the movie after they've gotten wet, except they don't sit in a movie theater wearing popcorn buckets on their heads.

Do consider with care. I've found companion plants to help, too, especially bromeliads.

Boston Fern pictured below, waiting for Thurston Howell to vomit on it . . . .

Nephrolepis exaltata indoor0705c.jpg

Here's Fluffy Ruffles, yeah yeah, a rabid poodle.

Nephrolepis exaltata 'Fluffy Ruffles'

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

In the shade, I can pull the weeds. And, I mulch, too, with wood chips, though that's starting to get too expensive.

But no mortal human can pull Devil Grass, aka Bermuda Grass or Metastasis Grass. You only end up spreading it.

Considering that i have had zero..  luck completely killing Bermuda w/ Roundup in the past, use of it is pointless.. getting out with a very sharp  spade and digging 6"- 10" under offending clumps of the stuff, and carefully removing as many visible stolons as possible, then repeating as needed when i see remnant shoots emerge has proven much more efficient.

Aside from the health concerns when using the stuff, certain weedy plant species can develop resistance / tolerance to Roundup, or other products thus you have to apply more of.. or a stronger formulation of X chemical.. a potentially never ending cycle. 

Use it carefully if you choose, but mulching, and and some good ol' hand weeding do a body, and the garden good.. Keep in mind that weeds generally turn up in fertile soil and are one of the first steps in re-establishing vegetation on disturbed soil.

A mixture of Vinegar, some Salt and Boiling water seems to knock down most of the "softer"  weeds  that pop up during monsoon season here. On the other hand, i'm glad we don't have Bermuda Buttercup ( Oxalis pes- caprae) That stuff is WORSE than Bermuda grass, imo.

• Upvote 1

Please define the difference between "regularly" and "seasonally" in the poll. Actually no choice works for me; it is used sporadically in my larger Hawaii garden and I follow the instructions on the label. I do not fear for my health. Many more weeds are pulled than sprayed -- the problem being if you spray and kill weeds that are 5-ft. tall and wide, the result is unsightly. Also, the moderate physical labor of weed-pulling is therapeutic in the sense of having hours of random thinking, though perhaps it's not the best use of my time.

In my smaller California garden, it is used mostly on the squat, tough, ugly weeds that congregate in the back alley or emerge from pavers and sidewalk cracks.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Considering that i have had zero..  luck completely killing Bermuda w/ Roundup in the past, use of it is pointless.. getting out with a very sharp  spade and digging 6"- 10" under offending clumps of the stuff, and carefully removing as many visible stolons as possible, then repeating as needed when i see remnant shoots emerge has proven much more efficient.

Aside from the health concerns when using the stuff, certain weedy plant species can develop resistance / tolerance to Roundup, or other products thus you have to apply more of.. or a stronger formulation of X chemical.. a potentially never ending cycle. 

Use it carefully if you choose, but mulching, and and some good ol' hand weeding do a body, and the garden good.. Keep in mind that weeds generally turn up in fertile soil and are one of the first steps in re-establishing vegetation on disturbed soil.

A mixture of Vinegar, some Salt and Boiling water seems to knock down most of the "softer"  weeds  that pop up during monsoon season here. On the other hand, i'm glad we don't have Bermuda Buttercup ( Oxalis pes- caprae) That stuff is WORSE than Bermuda grass, imo.

Hmm. INteresting. I've found glyphosate to annihilate bermuda grass, but you have to water and feet it first. Also, if it's not mowed the glyphosate won't do anything about seeds, which sprout later.

Bermuda buttercup? Worse than Bermuda Grass? Egad. :o

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

Please define the difference between "regularly" and "seasonally" in the poll. Actually no choice works for me; it is used sporadically in my larger Hawaii garden and I follow the instructions on the label. I do not fear for my health. Many more weeds are pulled than sprayed -- the problem being if you spray and kill weeds that are 5-ft. tall and wide, the result is unsightly. Also, the moderate physical labor of weed-pulling is therapeutic in the sense of having hours of random thinking, though perhaps it's not the best use of my time.

In my smaller California garden, it is used mostly on the squat, tough, ugly weeds that congregate in the back alley or emerge from pavers and sidewalk cracks.

Regularly means year-round; seasonally means only in some seasons; that certainly could have been clearer. I use about a pint every three months, year-round. My usage has declined as the canopy has increased.

Just now, DoomsDave said:

My usage has declined as the canopy has increased.

Yes! Shade helps cut down on weed growth. Substantially!

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It's a necessary evil on some tough weeds for me. I try to always wear gloves and close toed shoes as well. I don't get fanatic with it, though and have plenty of pesky weeds that need pulling. An observation I've had, however, is that the branded Roundup did not give as good of results for me as a concentrate from another brand that I mix in a sprayer. On weeds in my lawns, I use something selective.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. INteresting. I've found glyphosate to annihilate bermuda grass, but you have to water and feet it first. Also, if it's not mowed the glyphosate won't do anything about seeds, which sprout later.

Bermuda buttercup? Worse than Bermuda Grass? Egad. :o

Lightly trimmed, watered.. by hand or rain.. doesn't matter. Demon Bermuda rages on.:blink: Keep in mind the stuff i have here sat without water for at least a year until we rented. Once i re landscaped the yard, and watered..it returned, with a vengeance, especially on some of the mounded areas i created..  The stuff also hides a war chest of growth nodes / active stolons up to 14" below the soil.  R-up will kill top growth for sure, esp in cracks along the driveway but as soon as the area gets wet, those areas where id sprayed grow a nice green beard of Bermuda, lol.. 

Could be wrong, but i thought Josh-O had discussed a home made formula he'd used that knocked Bermuda on its behind.. anyway

As for Bermuda Buttercup, if you don't have it, be glad.. Couldn't get rid of it back in San Jose.. Stuff emerges from a bulb. When you try to dig it out, you break off many dozens of tiny bulbs that re-establish. Those Bulbs can lie up to 2' below ground as well.. and they come up easily in Mulch /Compost piles.. Pretty spring flower but yeah.. worse than Bermuda Grass.. but perhaps not as bad as Torpedo Grass, or Air potato << gives me the chills...:bemused:

• Upvote 4

I use it as sparingly as possible during the 3-4 months of high rainy season when weeds multiply like vermin during the heat. Much of our 0.61 ac. lot is heavily mulched but weed and grasses make in-roads along the edges of the mulch beds. I try to hand weed as much as possible but can no longer take summer sun and heat like I used to. I use a backpack sprayer to distribute the Roundup, along with a face mask and latex gloves to minimize contact. We don't have a weed problem during dry season.

• Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I use Roundup to control two specific weeds. Both turn into trees if allowed to grow over several wet seasons. Cyclone Marcus back in March felled several large trees in my back yard which has opened up the canopy to the sun, and provided disturbed ground which weeds love. One of the worst weeds in the Darwin region is a cursed shrub/small tree known locally as Coffee Bush ( Leucaena leucocephala ). A tough hardy species well attuned to the seasonal wet/dry of the Top End. Produces 10's of thousands of seeds annually. Roundup knocks new growth so its best to prune it or cut the tree down and immediately paint undiluted Roundup on the stump. Or wait for new regrowth and spray them. Even then it could be years until the plant dies.

The other weedy tree problem I have ( thanks to a neighbor's mature tree ) is umpteen million African Mahogany ( Khaya senegalensis ) seedlings. Beautiful shady tree that was distributed to Darwin gardeners after the 1974 Cyclone Tracey destroyed the City and felled all vegetation. A fast growing shady tree that has now proven to be totally unsuitable in Darwin soils which are notoriously poor and shallow..... meaning massive mature African Mahoganies tend to fall over during monsoonal storm events. And they produce squillions of seeds which all sprout at my yard ( so it seems ) Treatment with Roundup the same as for the Coffee Bush.

In the shady rain forest parts of my yard, the only weeds I have are literally millions of self sown and sprouted palm seedlings which I simply pull out by hand. My use of Roundup is sparing I'd say. But there is always a bottle of it in the shed...

• Upvote 2

I do use it when I have too. It would be impossible to maintain two large gardens without it. Even with help it is impossible to hand weed.

In Guatemala it is sprayed from helicopters ( making it next to impossible to avoid exposure) to keep the sugar cane from blooming and losing sugar content.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I've been using acetic acid (10%) as an herbicide, with varying success. I believe the mechanism is that it strips off the cuticle so the foliage succumbs, which means some plants can resprout from the roots. In other words, it's not systemic. I reserve glyphosate for dabbing on cut stems and stumps to prevent regrowth. (I've eliminated dozens of camphor trees, 'Scourge of the South' this way.) I've become quite cautious around glyphosate because for many years I wasn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

I've been using acetic acid (10%) as an herbicide, with varying success. I believe the mechanism is that it strips off the cuticle so the foliage succumbs, which means some plants can resprout from the roots. In other words, it's not systemic. I reserve glyphosate for dabbing on cut stems and stumps to prevent regrowth. (I've eliminated dozens of camphor trees, 'Scourge of the South' this way.) I've become quite cautious around glyphosate because for many years I wasn't.

Tell us more about when you were not cautious, and what, exactly happened, and to what? (Or whom?)

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I've been watching the "Roundup Case" with interest. I use Roundup, which is Monsanto's license for glyphosate, and other brands, in my garden to control post-emergent weeds. I remember back when it came out in the 1970s; it was a godsend. Unlike 2-4-D, it killed grasses, too.

I try to use it sparingly, but some, including "factory farmers" use oceans of the stuff.

A jury in San Francisco found that glyphosate gave a school groundskeeper Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. At one point he got large amounts of concentrate on his body, or so I read. Whatever caused it, I can agree that NHL is terrible for the groundskeeper and his family.

I plan to continue to use glyphosate, as carefully as I can: not getting concentrate on me; not spraying plants I or the cats will be eating; using only when and where needed.

Curious to know what others might think. Please, be nice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/10/jury-orders-monsanto-pay-289-million-cancer-patient-roundup-lawsuit/962297002/

This was a court case. Courts are not scientists. Having said that, is this stuff probably not good? Probably. But what chemical is... Like Mike said, what else can some of us do other than use it... I have 6000 palms to weed-cant do it by hand; there are some situations where it's the only option.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Missi said:

I'm good with the responsible use of scientifically studied chemicals in my garden. :greenthumb:

This. Education and application protocol are essential.

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I think that the greenskeeper's case was rather unique, if still tragic. He got a lot of the stuff on large areas of his body in the course of his job. I think most of us manage to avoid that, thank heaven.

What really sucks is just how prevalent carcinogens in general are. Even some medical treatments can contribute to cancers, including chemo and radiation therapies. Charred meat and mold spores also contain carcinogens.

Unique? Maybe. Tragic? No way. If he got large amounts on his body then somewhere down the line then proper mixing/spraying procedures were breeched. Consequences are a fact of life when attempting shortcuts or disregarding instructions. Neither tragic nor fortunate. Like when the news reports the "tragic" death of a pedestrian being hit by a car. They don't tell you that said pedestrian had their head down, texting, and not watching traffic. Tragic? Not a chance. Yeah, I'm a heartless SOB and I love Roundup and will probably outlive Keith Richards.

Edited by Gonzer
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Tell us more about when you were not cautious, and what, exactly happened, and to what? (Or whom?)

When I was not cautious, I didn't worry about accidentally dribbling some of the mixed solution onto my skin or if a splash when mixing got me in the pant-leg. (I've worked at a few botanical gardens, so glyphosate applications were a frequent routine.)

What happened? (I feel like I"m being set up here. OK, I'll bite.) I got wet. I'm not a toxicologist studying the effects of glyphosate on living organisms, so I'm unprepared to answer that more fully. As a layman and in general, I think it's safe to say that one is unable to detect most of the biological processes within one's body until long after they've gone terribly awry. I'm not so naive that I imagine Monsanto is motivated to be fully forthcoming about the risks of its products nor do i categorize the public's knowledge of their reports as "scientifically studied," so now when I use glyphosate I'm especially careful not to get any on me, my dogs or anyone else.

I mentioned acetic acid just in case this inexpensive, non-toxic and reasonably-effective method were unknown to some participants here and they might be interested in having this option. However, this discussion runs a very high risk of going into the scoffing, "well, ya gotta die from something" direction. I'm not interested in participating in that pointless exercise except to say that I'd prefer it if my cause of death weren't willful stupidity.

Edited by Manalto
clarity
  • Upvote 4

Thanks to everyone for your replies and participation in the poll.

Please keep it coming.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks to everyone for your replies and participation in the poll.

There's a poll? Alright! I'm off to vote! (I know my responsibilities! ;))

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

This. Education and application protocol are essential.

Unique? Maybe. Tragic? No way. If he got large amounts on his body then somewhere down the line then proper mixing/spraying procedures were breeched. Consequences are a fact of life when attempting shortcuts or disregarding instructions. Neither tragic nor fortunate. Like when the news reports the "tragic" death of a pedestrian being hit by a car. They don't tell you that said pedestrian had their head down, texting, and not watching traffic. Tragic? Not a chance. Yeah, I'm a heartless SOB and I love Roundup and will probably outlive Keith Richards.

Most of us will likely outlive Keith Richards.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Manalto said:

Betty White probably will.

Who knows, maybe Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Haviland as well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

Somehow I get no satisfaction from that thought.

Well said!

• Upvote 1

I have chosen to use this chemical, and follow the directions for use.

It works well and my weeds have never been an issue for me. With that being said, I have always mulched my garden, pull weeds by hand in some cases and because of this, my use is very limited of the chemical.

Part of my property has a slope were I only use Round Up. If the weeds were pulled by hand, that would cause loose soil and erosion which I do not want.

If I recall, I purchased 1 gallon of Round Up 3 years ago, so again mu usage is minimal.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Palm Tree Jim said:

I have chosen to use this chemical, and follow the directions for use.

It works well and my weeds have never been an issue for me. With that being said, I have always mulched my garden, pull weeds by hand in some cases and because of this, my use is very limited of the chemical.

Part of my property has a slope were I only use Round Up. If the weeds were pulled by hand, that would cause loose soil and erosion which I do not want.

If I recall, I purchased 1 gallon of Round Up 3 years ago, so again mu usage is minimal.

Is that a gallon of concentrate?