Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society Holiday Gathering - Sat. 12/8/2018

2 posts in this topic

SAVE THE DATE!!!

Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society
Holiday Gathering

Saturday, December 8, 2018

11:00am – 3:00pm

Private Garden of Ron Hart & Maryann Krisovitch
6701 Lake Kirkland Drive, Clermont, FL 34714

The Society will provide drinks and the main dish.  Please bring a side or dessert to share.

About the garden:  Ron & Maryann have been members of the society for over 10 years and have also served as President and Treasurer.  They recently moved about 80 of their 170 palms and cycads from their home in Apopka to their new lake house south of Clermont.  While the home is a new place for Maryann, Ron actually built the home 15 years ago. Many of the palms he planted back then are still there and thriving even though he was gone from them for the past 10 years!  You’ll see the struggle the plants are facing since removing plucked from a shady oak canopy half-acre yard to a mostly sunny acre on the lake.

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to Maryann at palmsocietytreas@aol.com

What you need to bring to the meeting:

1. A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!

2. Sides or dessert

3. A chair for your own personal enjoyment!

Rumor has it we'll get a special guest at this meet-up... :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society Holiday Gathering
      By kinzyjr
      SAVE THE DATE!!!

Central & North Florida Palm and Cycad Society
      Holiday Gathering

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Private Garden of Ron Hart & Maryann Krisovitch
      6701 Lake Kirkland Drive, Clermont, FL 34714

The Society will provide drinks and the main dish.  Please bring a side or dessert to share.

About the garden:  Ron & Maryann have been members of the society for over 10 years and have also served as President and Treasurer.  They recently moved about 80 of their 170 palms and cycads from their home in Apopka to their new lake house south of Clermont.  While the home is a new place for Maryann, Ron actually built the home 15 years ago. Many of the palms he planted back then are still there and thriving even though he was gone from them for the past 10 years!  You’ll see the struggle the plants are facing since removing plucked from a shady oak canopy half-acre yard to a mostly sunny acre on the lake.

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to Maryann at palmsocietytreas@aol.com

A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!
      Sides or dessert
      A chair for your own personal enjoyment!
    • The Garden of Dr. John Rossi - Hastings, FL
      By kinzyjr
      These photos are of the garden of Dr. John Rossi during the CFPACS + FCPS Fall Meeting.  John was a wonderful host and has an impressive garden.  To give you an idea of the challenges he overcomes to have such a splendid garden, these are the averages and records for Hastings, FL:

This is a map that we received to help us explore the sections of the property we were most interested in before the formal tour.

This is part of the walking path around the pond where most of the common cold hardy palms are planted, including Washingtonias and Queens:

Another part of the trail around the pond.  You can see Tiki Key in the background:

The footbridge that takes you to Tiki Key:

• CFPACS + FCPS: Fall Field Trip + Meeting
      By kinzyjr
      Joint fall field trip and meeting for Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society  and First Coast Palm Society. 
      Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to First Coast President David Casella so we have a good food count. 
      David Casella: wxalert272@gmail.com or (904) 333-6106.
      More information here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57636-central-florida-palm-cycad-society-first-coast-palm-society-fall-field-trip-meeting-sat-10132018/
    • Turning my dream into a reality
      By Hferrell87
      Hello all,
      As a fellow palm enthusiast, I’d often day dream of owning land and designing a nursery. For the past few years, I’ve scoured multiple reality websites, searching for the perfect plot. We found one and offered full price for a little over 12 acres and the owner accepted. This property was beautiful and was once a running nursery (perfect for me!). A few days went by after putting deposit down, when the realtor called me saying that the owner got cold feet and backed out of the deal. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. Many nights I spent plotting and scheming the lay of the land and what to do with it, just for them to pull the rug from under me. 
      Flash forward to now, a year and some change later.
      My wife and I fianlly closed on 9.06 acres, about 4 minutes from our house. It was a blessing in disguise when the other property didn’t work out, as it was in a very rural area with little development, while the newly acquired land is in the in the middle what feels like Sim City with unlimited funds. The property is fully fenced with a 4” well, pole barn and an insulated shed. The land is majorly covered by large water oaks with a few pockets of cleared land. We recently had about 3/4 acre cleared to start planting clumping bamboo and palms (potted and in ground).
      Development of the nursery is going to take some time, as my wife and I both work full time jobs. But, with the property so close to the house, I’m out there every day. 
      So, here’s to the start of our dream nursery and the progress along the way. 
      Enjoy...

• Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society + First Coast Palm Society - Fall Field Trip & Meeting - Sat. 10/13/2018
      By kinzyjr
      YOU’RE INVITED!!!

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society
      & The First Coast Palm Society

Fall Field Trip & Meeting

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Private Garden of John Rossi
      8310 CR 13 South, Hastings, FL

First Coast will be providing Sonny's BBQ & Central Florida will provide a Low-Country Seafood Boil

About the garden:  At John Rossi's home and spectacular garden you will find over 100 species of palms, several types of cycads, many varieties of Agaves, Cacti, Yuccas and other desert plants!

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to First Coast President David Casella so we have a good food count. 

David Casella: wxalert272@gmail.com or (904) 333-6106.

A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!
      Beverages or dessert
      A chair for your own personal enjoyment!