IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

B. Alfredii quantity out there for sale...

Bill H2DB

Just curious as to how many of these are available for sale .  I seem to see a fair number of

them out there on various places .

Are there that many ?

I am not looking to buy one now , but just would like to know the answer to my question .

Thanks 

• Upvote 1

This species has been around for several years and if I had to guess, thousands are available in various sizes, many growers and hobbyist have them and grown in all over the world by now.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

@Bill H2DB I got one from @Mike Evans.  He had a bunch.  The marketing strategy for them as a hardy substitute for coconuts is catching on in warm zone 9 areas, which is why you've started seeing a bunch of them.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

OK , that's what I wanted to know.

It looks like they may soon be fairly common .

I have all that I want ( 2 ) , but was just curious about the number available .

7 minutes ago, Bill H2DB said:

OK , that's what I wanted to know.

It looks like they may soon be fairly common .

I have all that I want ( 2 ) , but was just curious about the number available .

There are a lot out there.. however as interesting fact: all of the alfredii's sold come from habitat. Up till this day, there are no alfie's outside of habitat that have produced seed.  In other words, all the alfies for sale ultimately originate in Madagascar. 

No one knows how long they take to seed. The book is still being written on this magnificent coco nuficera doppelganger.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Some nurseries sell them in the Orlando area. Box stores do not sell them yet. I was at Lucas Nursery in the spring and they had about a dozen.  All were marked sold so they have a growing following. 

I bought a bunch of seedlings from HI, shipped to me. They do great but it's going to be a long time before even the biggest seeds. Super slow even to trunk.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

20 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

There are a lot out there.. however as interesting fact: all of the alfredii's sold come from habitat. Up till this day, there are no alfie's outside of habitat that have produced seed.  In other words, all the alfies for sale ultimately originate in Madagascar. 

No one knows how long they take to seed. The book is still being written on this magnificent coco nuficera doppelganger.

Are we sure of that - that the entire crop of seedlings, are from habitat plants?  I heard that too, but I know that there are a lot of monster ones, in cultivation.

On 16/10/2018, 5:18:59, The Steve said:

Are we sure of that - that the entire crop of seedlings, are from habitat plants?  I heard that too, but I know that there are a lot of monster ones, in cultivation.

Where? The oldest plants came from seed in about 2003, 2004. Only described in 2007. Unless Alfred was sending small plants to the US direct from Madagascar the oldest plants outside Madagascar would only be 14 years old.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 10/14/2018, 8:00:25, Jeff Searle said:

This species has been around for several years and if I had to guess, thousands are available in various sizes, many growers and hobbyist have them and grown in all over the world by now.

Jeff, someone told me last Saturday that they are not letting seed be exported from Madagascar.  Have you any experience on the subject?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

56 minutes ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Jeff, someone told me last Saturday that they are not letting seed be exported from Madagascar.  Have you any experience on the subject?

I haven't heard any thing on this.  And to my knowledge, there hasn't been any reports on any of these in flower let alone setting seed.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There are some larger specimens showing up in the Florida nursery trade. Here is one I saw athe Landscape Show tradeshow a couple weeks ago in Orlando. 

DSC_4169.JPG

• Upvote 8

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

44 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

There are some larger specimens showing up in the Florida nursery trade. Here is one I saw athe Landscape Show tradeshow a couple weeks ago in Orlando. 

DSC_4169.JPG

I need that! Any idea what they were asking?

I think some of the issue lies with the fact that some of the ones out there being called alfredii are actually fenastralis. Not all but some and some of them are actually big and fruiting.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 10/17/2018, 7:01:06, Jeff Searle said:

I haven't heard any thing on this.  And to my knowledge, there hasn't been any reports on any of these in flower let alone setting seed.

This.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

16 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I think some of the issue lies with the fact that some of the ones out there being called alfredii are actually fenastralis. Not all but some and some of them are actually big and fruiting.

So , in the size or age of the Palm shown  above by Eric , would it be obvious as to which Specie that it is ?     Alf . Or Fenastr. ?

Just now, Bill H2DB said:

So , in the size or age of the Palm shown  above by Eric , would it be obvious as to which Specie that it is ?     Alf . Or Fenastr. ?

Due to the shape of the leaves. It is more than likely to be a B.fenestralis.

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Due to the shape of the leaves. It is more than likely to be a B.fenestralis.

The one Eric posted is B. alfredii.

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On October 18, 2018 at 8:13:09 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I need that! Any idea what they were asking?

I too am curious what one that size might cost.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

A few years ago I drove down to Perkins Nursery in LaBelle, Florida, to buy some silver Serenoa repens, and noticed they had about 50 B. alfredi for sale, so I bought two. I think I only paid about $20 each for them. I know Perkins had two pot sizes, and I bought the larger ones. I can't recall now what the pot size was, but it was at least 3 gallon or more. The one shown in below photo was blown partially over by Hurricane Irma, so I suspect it will wind up with a curve of sorts in the trunk, as I'm letting the palm lean. 

B.  alfredi.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mad about palms

10 hours ago, scottgt said:

I too am curious what one that size might cost.

They are listed as field grown 12-14ft, $40/ft. So appx $480 to about $560

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I picked up 5 Alfredii from a nursery off of Boggy Creek Road in South Orlando over the summer, they are about 6-7 feet total height and haven't gotten to full trunk diameter yet.  I paid $60 each and he had a *large* number of them in 7g pots, and was transferring them to smallish B&B (about 15g or so).  He had 5 or 6 really big ones planted on the East side of a 20x40 steel building.  They are around 20-25 feet tall and they had weathered the bad 2108 cold snaps pretty well with no shelter.  Based on the 1g pots he had, I would wager they are Alfredii and not fenestralis.

I have 2 of them in a similar semi-sheltered spot, 2 more in the open but with a big windbreak from some philodendron selloum, and 1 out in the open.  I'm just North of Orlando so we'll see how they handle occasional upper 20s cold nights!

On 10/22/2018, 9:45:56, Merlyn2220 said:

I picked up 5 Alfredii from a nursery off of Boggy Creek Road in South Orlando over the summer, they are about 6-7 feet total height and haven't gotten to full trunk diameter yet.  I paid $60 each and he had a *large* number of them in 7g pots, and was transferring them to smallish B&B (about 15g or so).  He had 5 or 6 really big ones planted on the East side of a 20x40 steel building.  They are around 20-25 feet tall and they had weathered the bad 2108 cold snaps pretty well with no shelter.  Based on the 1g pots he had, I would wager they are Alfredii and not fenestralis.

I have 2 of them in a similar semi-sheltered spot, 2 more in the open but with a big windbreak from some philodendron selloum, and 1 out in the open.  I'm just North of Orlando so we'll see how they handle occasional upper 20s cold nights!

They should grow well. I live in Altamonte Springs and have 2 planted out. One is in the open and survived one night at 27-28F this past winter with no damage.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 10/22/2018, 9:45:56, Merlyn2220 said:

Sounds like MB palms. I bought mine from them in March and it transplanted well. Took root and started growing quickly. Here it was in early Oct with my truck for size comparison.  

Screenshot_20181024-011908_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 2

Okay, I've been putting off ordering these for the past few years. :bummed: Amended my Floribunda order to include 2. :yay:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

14 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Sounds like MB palms. I bought mine from them in March and it transplanted well. Took root and started growing quickly. Here it was in early Oct with my truck for size comparison.  

Yep, that's the place!  Mine look nearly identical, though 2 of them are significantly taller now, well over 6 feet total height.  I also bought a couple of Flamethrowers from them last week, 3g pots in good shape!