IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ultra wide sansevieria

GDLWyverex

I am being offered this ultra wide sansevieria, which I fully intend to buy, and would like to know which one it is.

SansevieriaDaniel.JPG.4b781e719a8e326085

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

S. masonia. Also called Mason Congo. I have both the version you have and the very rare variegated version. The variegated version sold for $50 USD per leaf division in about 2004 when I bought mine. I have no idea what it sells for now. I don't want to know. I have propagated it 4 times and have a nice set now. Rather slow growing. You may get old waiting for a nice stand, The one of the regular non-variegated shown here is 15 years old

IMG_2466.jpg

Edited by metalfan
  • Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

S. masonia. Also called Mason Congo. I have both the version you have and the very rare variegated version. The variegated version sold for $50 USD per leaf division in about 2004 when I bought mine. I have no idea what it sells for now. I don't want to know. I have propagated it 4 times and have a nice set now. Rather slow growing. You may get old waiting for a nice stand, The one of the regular non-variegated shown here is 15 years old

IMG_2466.jpg

Sansevieria Masoniana is truly a fantastic plant! Has it flowered for you as yet.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

I have it as S. masoniana. Got it about 5 years ago and put it in the ground. Probably gets too much sun but now it's growing with a runner about 1.5 metres long and leaves all along it. Seems to be trying to head down hill, maybe looking for more favourable conditions. It definitely won't find that down hill. They've got some in the botanic gardens here, in the ground but still in a clump.

• Upvote 1

I have one in a pot. Morning sun ,then filtered shade. I am a fan of Sansevieras in general. I like them potted and use them indoors and out for their strong architectural forms.

I wish I had the one that looks like giant rhino horns....

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

2 hours ago, scottgt said:

I have one in a pot. Morning sun ,then filtered shade. I am a fan of Sansevieras in general. I like them potted and use them indoors and out for their strong architectural forms.

I wish I had the one that looks like giant rhino horns....

I can't find a reference to that one by that name. Do you know it's botanical name per chance, or can you post a photo?

I found one on the Internet, which certainly should NOT be accepted as authority without lots of collaboration, called s. desertii "rhino grass" but that doesn't seem to be an accepted name by any variation.

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

I got it today

SansevieriaMasoniana.jpg.6426d8266e01c55

I've planted it in a northern exposure with moonshine and kirkii and a few palms. It cost me 17 bucks, but well worth it to my way of thinking

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Upvote 1

I think it's terrific. I know I'm in the right place when I encounter people who appreciate sansevieria. My house in Texas was buff-pink brick and in the foundation under low windows I planted a mass of S. trifasciata, 'Moonshine' which, I thought, looked smashing against the brick. Everyone else saw it as boring snake plant. I also have a 'Bantel's Sensation' AKA 'Prain' in a pot that's an old favorite.

Anyway, your S. masoniana (if that's what it is; I lost track) is going to make a striking statement once it begins to colonize.

Edited by Manalto
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GDLWyverex said:

I can't find a reference to that one by that name. Do you know it's botanical name per chance, or can you post a photo?

I found one on the Internet, which certainly should NOT be accepted as authority without lots of collaboration, called s. desertii "rhino grass" but that doesn't seem to be an accepted name by any variation.

Richard

I think that it is a cultivar of SANSEVIERIA EHRENBERGII called Banana. Thailand seems to be the place to get spectacular Sansevieria cultivars and hybrids.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Manalto I agree. People in Florida (more south than me) HATE sansevieria. They think it is an invasive nuisance. Probably because they never plant any of the cool ones out, just the regular one that is found everywhere. I don;t understand people sometimes. I consider is a coup that I planted 4-5 different ones out in a protected locale in my yard and they have survived and multiplied for about 6 years now.

• Upvote 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

3 hours ago, scottgt said:

I think that it is a cultivar of SANSEVIERIA EHRENBERGII called Banana. Thailand seems to be the place to get spectacular Sansevieria cultivars and hybrids.

Wow, I want one as well. Fine looking plant

Image result for sansevieria banana

Richard

• Upvote 1

I like them. Low mantainance, only about 3 ft tall would like them taller. Maybe if I took better care of them. Wish the banana variety was down here

20181018_091848.jpg