IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Two cactus ID

Cikas

I just got these two cactus. They are not labeled, and I'am not really a cactus expert.
Soo if someone can tell me to which species they belong and how hardy ( USDA zone ) they are?

Cactus 1

PA111275.jpg

PA111276.jpg

PA111277.jpg

Cactus 2

PA111278.jpg

PA111279.jpg

PA111280.jpg

Not 100% certain but my initial thought regarding the 1st one could be one of Nipple / Fishhook cacti.. (Mammilaria sp.) Another thought was an immature Barrel / Ferrocactus sp. but spine / rib arrangement doesn't look right for any juvenile specimens i have seen.. 

Basing this solely on the "spider-like" spine arrangement along the ribs, second specimen could be one of the Echinopsis or Lobivia species.. There are other Cacti Genera whose spines are arranged in a similar fashion( Echinomastus, Stenocactus, etc) though both Echinopsis and Lobivia are more commonly seen / sold in "mixed cacti" offerings in a general nursery setting, at least here in the states.  A nursery specializing in Cacti would likely cultivate the others..

Id' ing them should be easier when they flower. Second specimen appears to be setting flower buds in the second ( overhead) picture of it..

Regardless, you might keep them sheltered through the winter, then place outdoors in the spring.. Most Echinopsis /Lobivia are hardy to zone 9B, some can tolerate lower temps, especially if kept dry through the winter. Mammilaria sp. hardiness tends to be similar.  I myself might put them in a grittier / less organic-based soil mix when / if you repot them in the spring..

Might take some time and look over the online Cacti Encyclopedia to narrow down the possibilities, especially of the 1st specimen..   

Hope this helps..

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

Nathan is right about the 2nd ID. It's hardiness should be as low as 15-25° F.

The 1st is likely a Hamatocactus hamatocanthus (Ferocactus hamatacanthus). It should be hardy to low temperatures as low as 0° F if kept dry.

Hi 82°, Lo 59° - some showers

• Upvote 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego