Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Two cactus ID

5 posts in this topic

I just got these two cactus. They are not labeled, and I'am not really a cactus expert.
Soo if someone can tell me to which species they belong and how hardy ( USDA zone ) they are?

Cactus 1

PA111275.jpg

PA111276.jpg

PA111277.jpg

Cactus 2

PA111278.jpg

PA111279.jpg

PA111280.jpg

Not 100% certain but my initial thought regarding the 1st one could be one of Nipple / Fishhook cacti.. (Mammilaria sp.) Another thought was an immature Barrel / Ferrocactus sp. but spine / rib arrangement doesn't look right for any juvenile specimens i have seen.. 

Basing this solely on the "spider-like" spine arrangement along the ribs, second specimen could be one of the Echinopsis or Lobivia species.. There are other Cacti Genera whose spines are arranged in a similar fashion( Echinomastus, Stenocactus, etc) though both Echinopsis and Lobivia are more commonly seen / sold in "mixed cacti" offerings in a general nursery setting, at least here in the states.  A nursery specializing in Cacti would likely cultivate the others..

Id' ing them should be easier when they flower. Second specimen appears to be setting flower buds in the second ( overhead) picture of it..

Regardless, you might keep them sheltered through the winter, then place outdoors in the spring.. Most Echinopsis /Lobivia are hardy to zone 9B, some can tolerate lower temps, especially if kept dry through the winter. Mammilaria sp. hardiness tends to be similar.  I myself might put them in a grittier / less organic-based soil mix when / if you repot them in the spring..

Might take some time and look over the online Cacti Encyclopedia to narrow down the possibilities, especially of the 1st specimen..   

Hope this helps..

-Nathan

Ferocactus and Echinopsis.

Nathan is right about the 2nd ID. It's hardiness should be as low as 15-25° F.

The 1st is likely a Hamatocactus hamatocanthus (Ferocactus hamatacanthus). It should be hardy to low temperatures as low as 0° F if kept dry.

Hi 82°, Lo 59° - some showers

Thanks guys for the ID.