IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lights For Palms During The Winter - Does Anyone Think These Will Work?

PalmTreeDude

So as the days get shorter and cooler, I eventually will not be able to keep my potted palms outside. I am wanting to get a smaller growing light for my potted palms and other plants as well, I was thinking of getting this one since it is a reasonable size. Do you think it will allow the palms to still grow throughout the winter well and get the light they need? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ98X5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0aPVBb8YMYN3G

SmartSelect_20181010-195024_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I have no idea, I don't even know what wavelengths palms prefer, but it

Probably won't hurt, and it is cheap enough to try, give it shot. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Ok it’s tottally do able depending on how far you want to go below I will post a pic of the lights I use. I have 4 of them plus a 25w led grow bulb that is directed straight at my coconut   I use these lights for my palms and seedlings. Very good results. Everything is healthy. I also use a oil radiator heater with thermostat to keep my room warmer than the rest. The room is fully insulated top to bottom. Just be aware even though the light I’m showing is 45watts they get warm and use power when you use a bunch like me. The benefit is they warm the room up without a heater 

26FA30EE-F864-4DBB-957F-30C208C8B7A2.png

• Upvote 1

A light like this you make a jig and hang over the plants and I made it so I can raise it up and down depending on plants plus way more coverage than what you have selected. It’s good to think over the next few years with a purchase and not just now good luck !

• Upvote 1

Nice setup you got there! A whole palm room! :yay:I went ahead and ordered the dual plant growing light (it has a clamp so it would be perfect for the area I need to use it in, which is only about the size of one of your tables). I will see how well it works. Thank you for your replies. 

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice setup you got there! A whole palm room! :yay:I went ahead and ordered the dual plant growing light (it has a clamp so it would be perfect for the area I need to use it in, which is only about the size of one of your tables). I will see how well it works. Thank you for your replies. 

Thanks. That window faces south west  now so much light comes in that I have dialed. Back the led lights. The room becomes a small greenhouse in the aft as the direct sun warms the room up to 77f 

12 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have the same dual clamp lamp!It works great.The cheapest option for bigger spaces if to get the 6500k under cabinet lights from walmart.They are like 2ft and only 12 bucks.They even come with things to nail them into a roof or structure.:D

On 10/10/2018, 8:34:43, Rickybobby said:

EF643221-65E5-417A-9821-57DF34731975.jpeg

Nice work with the palm room! I am thinking of setting something up like that soon.

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Arrived today and looking good! I hope they work well, when I put my hand under the light I can also feel the heat. I have these in the corner of my room. 

1539473723674943.jpg

1539473723960709.jpg

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

I used a grow light (spotlight) with reflector for many years for my indoor plants (palms, citrus, orchids).  Being in the northeast with 9 or 10 hours of winter daylight my main concern was providing the tropical plants with a more equator-like 12 hours of daylight.  I was persuaded by the reputation of the company and their product literature; I felt the quality of the spectrum was sound enough to not cause adverse effects on plant growth.  I think it helped to maintain healthy plants.  Added benefit--the extra light also helped to improve my mood during the short day months.  Keep us posted. 

18 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

I used a grow light (spotlight) with reflector for many years for my indoor plants (palms, citrus, orchids).  Being in the northeast with 9 or 10 hours of winter daylight my main concern was providing the tropical plants with a more equator-like 12 hours of daylight.  I was persuaded by the reputation of the company and their product literature; I felt the quality of the spectrum was sound enough to not cause adverse effects on plant growth.  I think it helped to maintain healthy plants.  Added benefit--the extra light also helped to improve my mood during the short day months.  Keep us posted. 

I will keep everyone updated. I am hoping to maintain my palms and get some sort of new growth out of them over the winter. In the Spring, all nine of these palms (Sabal minor) are going into the ground. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Looks good, I’ll probably order one as well. I have 7 seedlings (various species) and hopefully I’ll be able to germinate seeds from my Needle Palm this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so here is a little update on my experience with these lights so far. Before I had the lights my Sabal minor were not really growing (indoors) much endless in the sun. Ever since I got the lights they have been growing in a spot that normally gets no sun in my house. I can clearly see some of the new fronds opening up and rising more than before. So far so good, hopefully I get a good amount of growth out of them (for using a light indoors) in the winter so I can plant them in the Spring a little bigger than they are now! 

PalmTreeDude

Full spectrum halogen/led  will do the trick. (Lightwise).   You want heat, then do broodlamps.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking into 1 or maybe more of these to complement my window unit.

https://www.amazon.com/JCBritw-Growing-Aluminum-Hydroponics-Greenhouse/dp/B07G3DG9LT/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542255295&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=plant%2Blight%2Bindoor&psc=1&th=1

This keeps the area extremely comfortable even on the coolest nights working with the door cracked.

20181114_231737.thumb.jpg.055bc7d98b15d5

Near full SE and full S sun coming in pretty well.

20181114_231946.thumb.jpg.c247e30205e482

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 2018-10-27, 12:12:55, PalmTreeDude said:

Alright, so here is a little update on my experience with these lights so far. Before I had the lights my Sabal minor were not really growing (indoors) much endless in the sun. Ever since I got the lights they have been growing in a spot that normally gets no sun in my house. I can clearly see some of the new fronds opening up and rising more than before. So far so good, hopefully I get a good amount of growth out of them (for using a light indoors) in the winter so I can plant them in the Spring a little bigger than they are now! 

One mistake I have made with this is. Having the palms in a somewhat warm room with good times lighting. The palms showed nutrient deficiencies. So they were happy and growing and I didn’t keep up with fertilizer so my young seedlings in these conditions will need a feeding every so often 

• Upvote 1

Thats why my sea kelp isnt far from my pots. About to fert all my pots as a matter of fact.

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Here is one of my Sabal minor before and after using the light. Others are noticeably growing as well. First picture is before. 

20181124_133255.jpg

20181124_133221.jpg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

What is square footage each light covers? I need lights and need about 40 sqft augmented as the windows dont provide nearly enough. 

In about a month my s. romanzoffiana developed a comparatively big frond plus emerged another one. It's growing like all my other non-tropical palms under 100% artificial light with 21.5-23°C in the day and 18°C at night.DSC_0810.thumb.JPG.3cab130ebd001d4fe2222DSC_1064.thumb.JPG.c1a0bcb2e829ff8cf10ba

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018, 12:41:48, Pal Meir said:

I am using only »normal« halogen reading lamps, e.g. like this one:

5c0578cdc71ac_N14012018-11-19P1040979.th

So the heat from the halogen bulb doesn't encourage spider mites for you?

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

So the heat from the halogen bulb doesn't encourage spider mites for you?

Not at all. The mites don’t like the heat, but the palms do. :greenthumb:

Here another pic from today with my Lyto bonsai (*2013) and three Tuerckheims (*2015):

5c0bfb44eae05_N1306c-1504P1040991.thumb.

… and one from 2014 of my L weddells *2013 which all together grew also very healthily during our dark seasons:

5c0bfb4abe40e_N13002014-03-03IMG_7612.th

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Guess I had always heard that spider mites like dry warm conditions so I have always tried to use LED lights

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a related question but not for seedlings.  I have a potted butia capitata about 3 feet tall in a pot.  I want to bring it inside for the winter (Maryland zone 7a) and keep it alive under an LED  grow light.  My question is simply how many watts should the grow light be?  Thanks

On 1/1/2019, 11:24:00, newtopalmsMD said:

I have a related question but not for seedlings.  I have a potted butia capitata about 3 feet tall in a pot.  I want to bring it inside for the winter (Maryland zone 7a) and keep it alive under an LED  grow light.  My question is simply how many watts should the grow light be?  Thanks

I have a butia capitata from home depot that's doing fine under a full spectrum bulb that is a "60 watt" size led. Not saying its the ideal garage green house but after about a month and change my palms are mostly looking good. Finally the palmettos started growing again under these conditions.

I purchased three Niello LED Grow lights last week and made a similar setup like Rickybobby after I saw this post. In addition I purchased two 100W LED grow light bulbs to use as spot lights for some of my palms that need more that just the light through the window. All I need to get is a timer so that they turn on and off automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only are the Sabal minor still growing well, I placed an avacado seedling by the light and it seemed to like it too and bent towards the light, so it definitely works! 

20190120_150858.jpg

1548015120645518.jpg

PalmTreeDude

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, bgifford said:

I purchased three Niello LED Grow lights last week and made a similar setup like Rickybobby after I saw this post. In addition I purchased two 100W LED grow light bulbs to use as spot lights for some of my palms that need more that just the light through the window. All I need to get is a timer so that they turn on and off automatically.

Awesome setup my room is on timers all depending on natural light conditions one important thing is my seedlings are arranged by species and by light requirements as a seedling. One thing I found. My small trachycarpus seedlings we’re getting sun burned by that light being a few feet up and staying very close to the trunk. So I raised my light another foot taller. And leasoned the light duration. 

Same for some others. But then my Phoenix and some Washingtonia remain bright. Point. Being great lights. Just need to watch over time and adjust to suit the plants 

I have got it all set up on timers now and things are growing nicely. I did notice that two of my washingtonias started to burn a bit so I moved the lights a bit higher too after I read your post. 

My Foxtails are really enjoying those lights at the moment. I was concerned about this winter with less daylight but these lights work nicely. 

I have a livistonia chinensis that started to look a bit rough becasue i had it somewhat in a corner where there is not all that much light.after putting it under one of the spot lights it recovered nicely. 

I'm looking forward to see what the dictosperma album seedlings do. A friend of mine brought me a ton of seeds from florida and they all germinated.

This is a little off topic, but I have some of my palm seedlings here at my work on a window sill with frosted glass - similar to what I have shown below.  It's a west facing window so it can let in quite a bit of afternoon sun (not so good for baby seedlings) for an hour or two after I leave for home.  So far so good - not many sunny days this winter and only 2 so far this month!  Most of my container palms have been outside on my south-facing covered patio all winter - we've only gone below 34°F one night and I only had to bring in about ¼ of them for extra protection that one night that went down to 27°F.  

frosted glass.jpg

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, bgifford said:

I have got it all set up on timers now and things are growing nicely. I did notice that two of my washingtonias started to burn a bit so I moved the lights a bit higher too after I read your post. 

My Foxtails are really enjoying those lights at the moment. I was concerned about this winter with less daylight but these lights work nicely. 

I have a livistonia chinensis that started to look a bit rough becasue i had it somewhat in a corner where there is not all that much light.after putting it under one of the spot lights it recovered nicely. 

I'm looking forward to see what the dictosperma album seedlings do. A friend of mine brought me a ton of seeds from florida and they all germinated.

Awesome. My foxtails have been bulletproof indoors under these lights and humidity hasn’t seen to make any difference 

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

This is a little off topic, but I have some of my palm seedlings here at my work on a window sill with frosted glass - similar to what I have shown below.  It's a west facing window so it can let in quite a bit of afternoon sun (not so good for baby seedlings) for an hour or two after I leave for home.  So far so good - not many sunny days this winter and only 2 so far this month!  Most of my container palms have been outside on my south-facing covered patio all winter - we've only gone below 34°F one night and I only had to bring in about ¼ of them for extra protection that one night that went down to 27°F.  

I guess with days getting longer, that exposure to the afternoon sun will get higher. 

But does the frosted glass act a bit like a filter since it won't let in as much light as clear glass. Still enough to fry something maybe. My Palms that are under the lights are in a room that is south facing and on some sunny days (even with 20F or less temps outside) the area around the window gets pretty hot. So I put the blinds half way up so that I get morning sun and afternoon sun, but not the mid day hammering. 

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

Awesome. My foxtails have been bulletproof indoors under these lights and humidity hasn’t seen to make any difference 

I have had some steady growth since January with mine. Still small since they are just about a year old. 

Whats the growth rate been on your Foxtails?

23 minutes ago, bgifford said:

I guess with days getting longer, that exposure to the afternoon sun will get higher. 

But does the frosted glass act a bit like a filter since it won't let in as much light as clear glass. Still enough to fry something maybe. My Palms that are under the lights are in a room that is south facing and on some sunny days (even with 20F or less temps outside) the area around the window gets pretty hot. So I put the blinds half way up so that I get morning sun and afternoon sun, but not the mid day hammering. 

I expect that afternoon exposure will get much stronger and longer soon.  I was wondering the same thing - I assume that the light is filtered somewhat.  I had a young 2-leaf Dypsis lutescens and a recently pinnate Dypsis decaryi in that window all last summer and only noted a bit of leaf-tip burn on the triangle, but lost a newly germinated Acoelorraphe wrightii that I accidentally left exposed one sunny fall weekend.  Just for some added foliage I germinated a Haden mango and a Haas avocado from seed as well and they haven't flinched in that light.

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, bgifford said:

I have had some steady growth since January with mine. Still small since they are just about a year old. 

Whats the growth rate been on your Foxtails?

In this pic there are 3 foxtails in 3 gallon pots I germinated them here in Canada last May. They have been raised indoors all of their life except last summer months. As you can see cooler basement dry air whatever they look awesome! There not as big as they could be. But I’m in no rush 

A5D6BF23-AF1F-400B-B665-BDAEA6DBAC5F.jpeg

With the lights I have, I noticed that all plants (including palms) that grow in understory habitats natually with lots of shade seem to respond and grow better with the artificial light while plants that grow naturally in habitats where the sun beats down on them all day grow a lot slower with the artificial light. This is just what I noticed with my particular light. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

PalmTreeDude

• 4 years later...

Hello

Like in the subject of this topic, i would like to install some LED lights for the winter. For that am looking for the best spectrum. 

I have 13 different seedlings, most of them pretty tropical 😉

Can share picture or more info on species for those who likes.

I see that blue and red are both important, so a good balance is important. Is it advisable to have strong red (infrared) and UV also ?

Thanks in Advance

On 11/17/2023 at 6:24 AM, Palm lover Belgium said:

Hello

Like in the subject of this topic, i would like to install some LED lights for the winter. For that am looking for the best spectrum. 

I have 13 different seedlings, most of them pretty tropical 😉

Can share picture or more info on species for those who likes.

I see that blue and red are both important, so a good balance is important. Is it advisable to have strong red (infrared) and UV also ?

Thanks in Advance

Nah skip that red/blue noise for your eyes, they will thank you for it.  Full spectrum white.  image.thumb.jpeg.2de2ef5aba16c7abb2edb0462493a1f7.jpeg

• Upvote 1

That exact Philips bulb on my Archontophoenix. You can get aluminum clamp fixtures for them too that you can essentially clip to anywhere 👍🏻

image.jpg

• Like 3