Lights For Palms During The Winter - Does Anyone Think These Will Work?

13 posts in this topic

So as the days get shorter and cooler, I eventually will not be able to keep my potted palms outside. I am wanting to get a smaller growing light for my potted palms and other plants as well, I was thinking of getting this one since it is a reasonable size. Do you think it will allow the palms to still grow throughout the winter well and get the light they need? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ98X5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0aPVBb8YMYN3G

SmartSelect_20181010-195024_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

I have no idea, I don't even know what wavelengths palms prefer, but it

Probably won't hurt, and it is cheap enough to try, give it shot. 

Ok it’s tottally do able depending on how far you want to go below I will post a pic of the lights I use. I have 4 of them plus a 25w led grow bulb that is directed straight at my coconut   I use these lights for my palms and seedlings. Very good results. Everything is healthy. I also use a oil radiator heater with thermostat to keep my room warmer than the rest. The room is fully insulated top to bottom. Just be aware even though the light I’m showing is 45watts they get warm and use power when you use a bunch like me. The benefit is they warm the room up without a heater 

26FA30EE-F864-4DBB-957F-30C208C8B7A2.png

A light like this you make a jig and hang over the plants and I made it so I can raise it up and down depending on plants plus way more coverage than what you have selected. It’s good to think over the next few years with a purchase and not just now good luck !

EF643221-65E5-417A-9821-57DF34731975.jpeg

Nice setup you got there! A whole palm room! :yay:I went ahead and ordered the dual plant growing light (it has a clamp so it would be perfect for the area I need to use it in, which is only about the size of one of your tables). I will see how well it works. Thank you for your replies. 

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice setup you got there! A whole palm room! :yay:I went ahead and ordered the dual plant growing light (it has a clamp so it would be perfect for the area I need to use it in, which is only about the size of one of your tables). I will see how well it works. Thank you for your replies. 

Thanks. That window faces south west  now so much light comes in that I have dialed. Back the led lights. The room becomes a small greenhouse in the aft as the direct sun warms the room up to 77f 

12 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have the same dual clamp lamp!It works great.The cheapest option for bigger spaces if to get the 6500k under cabinet lights from walmart.They are like 2ft and only 12 bucks.They even come with things to nail them into a roof or structure.:D

On 10/10/2018, 8:34:43, Rickybobby said:

EF643221-65E5-417A-9821-57DF34731975.jpeg

Nice work with the palm room! I am thinking of setting something up like that soon.

Arrived today and looking good! I hope they work well, when I put my hand under the light I can also feel the heat. I have these in the corner of my room. 

1539473723674943.jpg

1539473723960709.jpg

I used a grow light (spotlight) with reflector for many years for my indoor plants (palms, citrus, orchids).  Being in the northeast with 9 or 10 hours of winter daylight my main concern was providing the tropical plants with a more equator-like 12 hours of daylight.  I was persuaded by the reputation of the company and their product literature; I felt the quality of the spectrum was sound enough to not cause adverse effects on plant growth.  I think it helped to maintain healthy plants.  Added benefit--the extra light also helped to improve my mood during the short day months.  Keep us posted. 

18 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

I used a grow light (spotlight) with reflector for many years for my indoor plants (palms, citrus, orchids).  Being in the northeast with 9 or 10 hours of winter daylight my main concern was providing the tropical plants with a more equator-like 12 hours of daylight.  I was persuaded by the reputation of the company and their product literature; I felt the quality of the spectrum was sound enough to not cause adverse effects on plant growth.  I think it helped to maintain healthy plants.  Added benefit--the extra light also helped to improve my mood during the short day months.  Keep us posted. 

I will keep everyone updated. I am hoping to maintain my palms and get some sort of new growth out of them over the winter. In the Spring, all nine of these palms (Sabal minor) are going into the ground. 

Looks good, I’ll probably order one as well. I have 7 seedlings (various species) and hopefully I’ll be able to germinate seeds from my Needle Palm this winter.