Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sabal minor Spear Problem

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently reported one of my Sabal minor seedlings, but then spear was brown when I saw it and it seemed to be buried in the soil a bit, which I did not notice. Anyway, I reported it (making sure to keep the growth point higher) and applied hydrogen peroxide to the spear, it did not fizz to much. Do you think it will be all right? 

20181009_175657.jpg

20181009_175707.jpg

Both my sabal minor and sabal palmetto had their spears rot this past summer. I think due to all the rain but they are still alive. 

Crown rot. Too much water. 

That soil looks way to wet, but sabal minor grows in swamps & standing water here. It should recover.

It is so wierd that it seems that I gave them too much water, but I water these about once a week (well) and the pots have drainage holes and everything. Do you think that the soil may not drain well? I will see a little water come out of the bottom when I do water them and I have a good amount of perlite in there. Maybe I will report all of them over the weekend in a really well draining mix. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

Grab a bag of Turface MVP & mix it 50/50 with your soil. Best mix I have ever used & drainage is perfect.

Put your zip in & this will tell you who has it in your area. I just got three more bags @ $15 a 50 lb bag.

https://www.turface.com/find-a-distributor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Does Anyone Know What Variety of Mediterranean Fan Pamm This Is?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone know what variety of Mediterranean Fan Palm this is? Does it have a certine variety or are only certain ones recognized as a certain variety? Does anyone know where mine may have ancestors from (Like West/East Mediterranean etc.)? I know I need to weed around it again (center trunk has always been dead and I have not protected this last winter at all expecting it to die, but it survived, I was going to replace it with something else) and I will mulch.  

• How Deep Should I Pot Up Palm Seedlings?
      By PalmTreeDude
      How deep should I pot up my palm seedlings? I need to repot all of these in a better draining mix and simply because I believe they are too deeply potted now. How deep should I pot them? I was thinking about this deep (picture), the blue line represents the soil level I am thinking of potting them up at, does this seem right? 

• Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant w/seeds: any interest?
      By PalmatierMeg
      About 4-5 years ago I got this Sabal minor from Plant Delights in NC. S. minor Emerald Isle Giant is a variant of Sabal minor whose ancestors were rescued from a construction site near Emerald Isle, NC. It is notable for growing very large (up to 7' tall and 10' wide) with exceptionally blue 5' wide leaves. It is slow growing even compared to other Sabals. My mother palm is flowering and setting lots of seeds. Is there any interest for germinating and growing this palm on the forum? If so, I will clean them when ripe and post them for for sale. This is a very beautiful Sabal and quite cold hardy (see photos below). The rescued ancestors have been growing in Raleigh, NC.
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant, Cape Coral, FL

• VA State Cooperative Publication on Sabal minor Care
      By PalmatierMeg
      I was researching info on Sabal minor and found the following illustrated publication released by the State of VA that provides info on growing that species in the State. I thought it might be of interest to all PTers in the Middle Atlantic region and other colder areas.
      HORT-60-PDF.pdf
    • Will Needle Palm Suckers Flower?
      By PalmTreeDude
      This is probably a very basic question, but I have a nice sized Needle palm with a larger center trunk and smaller suckers all around it. Will the suckers ever flower like the center trunk will? And if they do flower, can the suckers polinate the other suckers and trunks flowers and produce viable seed? Thank you for reading.