IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

when a frond grows part way out and then stalls...

Sandy Loam

I have a pseudophoenix sargentii that was badly damaged during this past January 2018 freeze, here in Gainesville, Florida, USA.  We had two bad freezes this January, back to back.

The spear will not pull out.   The post-freeze frond grew part way out in roughly March, yet it simply stalled and only made it about five or six inches out of the bud area.  This palm has not grown since then.  Is it dead?  Should I continue to wait while it just sits there stunted? The partial frond is perfectly green.

Realistically, nobody should be growing pseudophoenix sargentii north of Orlando, but I decided to do so anyway.  I was aware of the risks when I took on this experiment.

Your feedback is welcome. Thanks

Here is a photo of it.  It was juvenile and had been planted for only a few months before the big January freeze damaged it badly.  However, I have tugged and tugged on its spear, and it will definitely not come out.  It started pushing out that new (partial) spear in about March-April, then it stalled and hasn't moved since.  Will that partially emerging spear be stuck like this forever?  If so, I guess I will dig it up and say goodbye.

IMG_20181013_1710133.jpg

While I can't say that this is definitely what is going on with your palm in particular, this was the exact symptom that let me know there was a problem with my archontophoenix alexandrae before it took a dive.  I noticed the spear had started to open but never progressed for about 2 months.  By the time I realized it wasn't growing, it was too late to save it from a fungal infection.  Just something to check.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

So, should I try pouring copper fungicide into the bud area?

Thanks for your response, by the way, Kinzyjr. Does anyone else out there wish to chime in on what is going on in the photo above?

7 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

So, should I try pouring copper fungicide into the bud area?

Thanks for your response, by the way, Kinzyjr. Does anyone else out there wish to chime in on what is going on in the photo above?

I would say try it.  I think a small amount of peroxide might help with the diagnosis.  If it fizzes up like a soda that just got shook up, you likely have microbe problems in the crown.  You're welcome as always.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F