Michael

59 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Estlander said:

Now here's a design if you want your house to survive a hurricane, lol.

After Dennis20.JPG

Were  I ever  to win a Lottery , it has been my intention to build a strong Dome Home on high ground . In previous hurricanes , they've done well.

While this one shown is pretty basic , a search will find a lot of larger ones with a lot of options .  When I talk to friends about it , I usually get the

perplexed look that most things out of the norm do .   Sheep are like that .

I hope to hear about how any domes in Michaels'  path have done in this very powerful storm .    (That one looks to quite exposed .)

All those homes, probably in dream locations for the owners and now just rubble. It is heartbreaking.

There one similar here on Breach Inlet. It's round with steel shutters & said to be hurricane proof.

10z925f.jpg

Terrible destruction, praying for the folks living there.

Talking about palms, it is amazing to see most of the Sabal palmetto's still standing amoung the destruction.

12 hours ago, Estlander said:

Now here's a design if you want your house to survive a hurricane, lol.

After Dennis20.JPG

Someday I'll have my own Monolithic Dome!  Homes designed like the Eye of the Storm should be required whenever FEMA money is used to rebuild.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

These are WHOA pictures:

A derailed TRAIN.

5bbf462ed1e88_DERAILEDTRAINHMIKE.jpg.4a4

And a snapped Sabal.

5bbf46482c19d_SNAPPEDPALMHMIKE.jpg.67fc4

Wow! Unless the trunk was already weakened or damaged in the spot where it broke, it know it takes AN INCREDIBLE amount of power to snap a Sabal palmetto like that.

38 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Wow! Unless the trunk was already weakened or damaged in the spot where it broke, it know it takes AN INCREDIBLE amount of power to snap a Sabal palmetto like that.

Imagine if some poor schlub tried to take shelter from the wind - behind that train. EEEK.

Has anyone heard from AliceHunter2000? (PalmTalker). If I am not mistaken, he is located right on the beach somewhere between Destin, FL and Panama City Beach, FL.  He was a bit west of the strongest winds, but must have endured some damage around his area.

@Alicehunter2000are you okay?

21 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Has anyone heard from AliceHunter2000? (PalmTalker). If I am not mistaken, he is located right on the beach somewhere between Destin, FL and Panama City Beach, FL.  He was a bit west of the strongest winds, but must have endured some damage around his area.

I was wondering the same thing. He was only a few streets over from the ocean as I recall although "uphill" a bit from the ocean. When I heard Hurricane Michael was going to hit along the Gulf coast I thought of him first and all his palms and being located close to his house. Hopefully nothing fell on the house and he'll see our posts and check in when he can. 

Got a text from my friends in Georgia early this morning. They said Michael's path put the eye directly over them around 4-5am. Fortunately for them it had lost a lot of strength over land. He said the winds were around 50mph at the worst. Said they were expecting wind gusts around 20-30mph until later in the afternoon but the sun was out. They were still under a flash flood watch but they were located higher up so didn't expect flooding. 

Michaels coming my way now with heavy rains. Many tornados in Virginia at the moment!:o Alice hunter2000 was lucky to be on the weaker side of the storm and luckily not in the eye wall.

Edited by Nj Palms

Michael has currently made it to NC. Not as bad as we thought Down East, but flooding yet again in the more coastal regions.

We are currently in the middle of Michael (Tropical Storm) and it slowed down and is also kind of hovering around here. We have been in it for hours now. Nothing major, other then high winds (compared to normal wind speeds, right now it is about 50 MPH max). The power is out (using LTE to post this) and a lot of my palms on the front porch have been knocked over, so tomorrow I am going to have to repot those (in their same pots), but the area is pretty sheltered from wind and I took three big ferns that were hanging and put them around my plants in the corner. Hopefully not a lot more get knocked over. I brought in my Sabal minor, I do not even want to take chances with them. I hope everyone effected is ok. Prayers go out! If it is still heading your way, stay safe. Although it is no longer a hurricane, it is still knocking things around. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

1 minute ago, NC_Palms said:

Michael has currently made it to NC. Not as bad as we thought Down East, but flooding yet again in the more coastal regions.

Stay safe! 

Very violent storm, unimaginable damage, reminiscent of Homestead after Andrew. I could almost feel the intensity of it through the live videos I watched, I couldn’t imagine what it must’ve felt like actually being there.

Getting our little taste of Post-Tropical Storm Michael here now, over 2 inches of rain and very blustery, but obviously not at all comparable to the conditions seen at ground zero.

Here is the only damage we got in my yard. A tree tilted and the bananas a bit roughed up. I was looking at some of the pictures of the Florida Panhandle and it looks absolutely insane. I hope everyone is doing alright physically and recovering mentally as well. 

15393520241782.jpg

1539351985330443.jpg

153935198564913.jpg

If you have seen those images of Mexico Beach (coastal town on the Florida panhandle), it is amazing.   The houses within the first few streets of the beach were so destroyed that the aerial view is just a bunch of concrete slab foundations.  Wow.  Apparently, the immediate Beachfront homes were on stilts/pilings elevated high above the water level, so did not received quite as much damage.

Watching the various on-the-scene news coverage as Michael was coming in -- destructive wind and tidal serge damage didn't look so bad -- and this was when the eye wall was first making landfall.  I even thought things weren't all that bad. But seeing all the aftermath photos and drone videos on the TV news, and those photos shown here -- only prove it ain't over until it's over.  After seeing the wrath that Michael caused, I feel very lucky compared to what Irma did to my property. While I lost many palms and trees, with extensive (but recoverable) damage to many others, at least my house is still standing. I'm grateful for that.

I predict building codes (to withstand higher wind speeds) will become more stringent now in the coastal Florida panhandle region. I know if I were to have a house at or near the beach (in the panhandle where hurricanes historically track during this time of the hurricane season) it would be of concrete construction, not a stick built house. It may not look as good aesthetically, but functionally it would withstand any wind a hurricane could generate.

^^ Agree w/ Walt.. from what coverage i'd been watching, the effects of the storm didn't look as bad until after Michael had passed. On the other hand, having stayed up to date on all the forecasts i had access to, up and through landfall, it wasn't hard to imagine what damage was possible, especially considering how the storm straddled Cat 5 strength as it made landfall across Mexico Beach.

Having passed through / a little time spent exploring Panama City, Mexico Beach, and Point St. Joe a few times, footage of the aftermath is sobering.

Whether it was that suddenly, fully awake feeling i had when my feet touched the ground on a beach just west of Panama City, ...after the long (..and half-asleep..) 12+ hour drive on my way south from..  or spending the night in my car in the parking lot next to Toucan's in Mexico Beach, then greeting a spectacular sunrise there before resuming the long drive home back to Ohio, 9 days later, both experiences are among some of the best memories of Florida i have..

Really hope everyone effected there will get all the help they will need so they can rebuild.. Some might say this region is Florida's least known coast, but it's also among one of the states best kept secrets..  

As far as building codes go, with all the better options that exist, and others that are drawing more interest, Stick-built structures / designs should be put to rest, especially in Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake, and / or Fire-prone regions of the country.