IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palmpedia, brought to you

palmazon

Danny,

Thanks for the plug.

Three things I want people to know:

1) It's just getting started. It has a long way to go.

2) Anybody and everybody can add pics, info, and commentary. It seems tricky at first, but you can't mess up. So give it a try.

3) We are striving to have the highest quality palm pics on the web. Don't miss noticing that clicking on most any pic will zoom in or increase the quality, depending on your browser.

Visit often, we are adding pics and species daily.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Please do feel free to contribute as much as you want.  We've got lot's of cool high quality pics that are being added to everyday.  We need more descriptions though.

So, if you have any info about Habitat & Distribution, Description, Culture, or Curiosities, click on the "edit tab" and add something.

like this

MattyB, Palmpedia Sysop....or Cyborg I can't remember which. :)

One of the coolest ideas that Dean came up with regarding Palmpedia is that it's unlimited in how many new ideas can be added to it.....it's infinate.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

or infinite

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sorry, didn't mean to type "we" so much.  This is not my baby, but Dean's creation.   I'm just learning how much fun it is to play with it and want others to join in and share their knowledge and check out the images/info.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

"We" is the exact right work. "We" as in "everybody." That is the concept of a wiki. It is bigger than anyone person, and hopefully it will have a life of it's own created from input by everyone.

Kona, on The Big Island

??? Really great, but what about authors? For example...how did my picture of Coccothrinax moaensis in habitat jumped from PACSOA to Pampedia? How was the author's name (me!) lost during this jump?

Also, I shot the picture by Moa, (... moaensis!), in Cuba but the Palmpedia says it is in SW Florida  ???

Carlo

Sorry for "jumping" so suddenly about the picture of C.moaensis.

I should have started by writing that I am positive about this wiki project, and I will surely contribute. I had talked about this with Dean before, so I just jumped, but I like what it is growing.

But what can we do to prevent picture grabbing and lack of authors' acknowledgement?

Carlo

Carlo, it looks like Christian (CFKingfish) posted the shot of C. moaensis.  He probably just got some pics confused in his computer.  

As far as how to prevent picture grabbing and lack of authors acknowledgement.....? I really don't know.  It's the internet.  If there's a picture out there then anyone can copy it, manipulate it and post it anywhere they want saying it was theirs.  I think that's just the nature of the beast (the internet).  In this case, the issue is being brought up to the administrators who can then follow up and make sure the correct actions are taken.  I'll make sure Dean or I check it out.

-Matty

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Carlo and all,

As Matt mentioned, "picture grabbing" is a fact of life on the internet. It is more of an issue with wikis because everyone is posting, and monitoring is difficult, but not impossible. In fact, one of the strengths of the wiki is that everyone is also a monitor, and everything is easily traceable, as this instance shows.

Please, correct the credits for your pics and give yourself credit if you will allow their usage. If not, alert me, and I will delete them. I don't think you have permission to delete pics. The PACSOA pics I will delete, since we do not have permission, and should never have been allowed. The wiki policy states copyright material is unallowable. It is obvious that this should have already be understood.

Thanks for your appreciation of the potential for the wiki, and for your alert as to the pic in question. I also appreciate the fact that you are obviously checking out the wiki enough to notice these things.

If you will notice, all of the recent pics have a watermark added, just for this reason. Also, a few other pics were already caught and unallowed for this same reason. I wish I could have caught these. If you allow us to keep your pics up, and you wish watermarks added to yours, please let me know.

Kona, on The Big Island

So the day I would die the evil wikipedians will come at night and publish all my palm stuff wildly as if it came from nowhere :(

I see. Go ahead and keep the picture with a watermark with my name. It was taken in habitat, in Quemado del Negro, Moa, Cuba, in October 1998.

A question, will Palmpedia be linked somehow to the regular Wikipedia?

Plants featured on Wikipedia are growing impressively too.

Check the general palm page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecaceae

And the Caribbean palm genera are especially well covered because there is a special wiki project on the Caribbean flora.

WikiCarlo

Carlo, the beautiful thing about wiki's.....I just added Palmpedia as a link in the Arecaceae section of Wikipedia.  Thanks for the great suggestion. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yeah, I have edited Wikipedia a bit here and a bit there in various languages.

Hey man, the non-english wikipedias are almost empty and full of mistakes. The Spanish one is depressive, it has less articles than the Italian or Polish one.

(MattyB @ Jun. 07 2007,14:26)

Carlo, it looks like Christian (CFKingfish) posted the shot of C. moaensis.  He probably just got some pics confused in his computer.  

As far as how to prevent picture grabbing and lack of authors acknowledgement.....? I really don't know.  It's the internet.  If there's a picture out there then anyone can copy it, manipulate it and post it anywhere they want saying it was theirs.  I think that's just the nature of the beast (the internet).  In this case, the issue is being brought up to the administrators who can then follow up and make sure the correct actions are taken.  I'll make sure Dean or I check it out.

-Matty

Hi,

Some ways to try solve this :):

One measure to prevent the linking of images from other sites is by configuring Apache, this also helps to save bandwidth.

To keep author acknowledgments in a wiki, I think, a copyright template can be created, but not sure.

Luis Diego G.

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

My website: SeresVerdes.com

Plants and seeds I have for trade

Wikis are definitely something we will be seeing more of in the future, for all sorts of things. They are not easy to setup and maintain, nor are they as user friendly as forums. However, I think they would be a good thing for anyone to become familiar with, as they are an excellent reference platform.

I think it would be more appropriate if anyone has comments, suggestions, or questions about Palmpedia or wikis in general, to post them on the Palmpedia Project discussion page over on Palmpedia. I will be happy to field questions there.  :)

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/Talk:Main_Page

Kona, on The Big Island

• 4 weeks later...

So Matty's getting settled in the new house, moving tons of soil, AND helping out with Palmpedia!  Amazing.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 3 years later...