Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bloemfontein Palm Garden II

6 posts in this topic

A recently completed addition to my garden in Bloemfontein.  I planted three Trithrinax campestris & a Livistona decora.  I'll add ground cover etc later.

Pics

EAED4559-773C-4A32-9163-BDADC42D6D74.jpeg

5842F485-FDFE-4A99-8F12-CAD664450FCC.jpeg

Very nice!  Keep us posted with your progress on this PalmTalk thread.  It will be an interesting evolution for everyone to witness as it unfolds.

Thanks, will do.

Marius What was the coldest temperature you had in your garden?

This past winter my coldest was -0,9 Celsius for one night. There were a couple of 0 Celsius nights too. The lower lying areas in Bloemfontein recorded -7 to -8 this past winter. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• What do you think of my protection method?
      By pennerchris@gmail.com
      Here's how I'm attempting to protect my palms: I wrapped a couple of little filiferas in Christmas lights and attached a thermo cube. I've done this to just the trunk before and it was fine, but in my climate I can expect total defoliation every year. I'm trying to avoid that by binding the fronds and wrapping all the way to the top.
      Is there any way this will backfire on me? 

• Fruit on Sabal minor heading into fall
      By JSKeys
      This summer I finally got two of my Sabal minors putting out fruit. All the seeds have firmed up but are still green and aren't fully ripe. Unfortunately we are in fall and while we haven't had a frost yet it won't be long. Will they ripen when we reach low temps and if not if I remove them and let them dry will they still be viable for propagation?

• Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant w/seeds: any interest?
      By PalmatierMeg
      About 4-5 years ago I got this Sabal minor from Plant Delights in NC. S. minor Emerald Isle Giant is a variant of Sabal minor whose ancestors were rescued from a construction site near Emerald Isle, NC. It is notable for growing very large (up to 7' tall and 10' wide) with exceptionally blue 5' wide leaves. It is slow growing even compared to other Sabals. My mother palm is flowering and setting lots of seeds. Is there any interest for germinating and growing this palm on the forum? If so, I will clean them when ripe and post them for for sale. This is a very beautiful Sabal and quite cold hardy (see photos below). The rescued ancestors have been growing in Raleigh, NC.
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant, Cape Coral, FL

• Bloemfontein Palm Garden
      By Marius
      My garden is situated against an East facing slope of Grant's Hill in Bloemfontein, South Africa.  Bloemfontein has hot dry summers (summer rainfall) and cold winters down to -10 degrees Celsius. My garden's microclimate is more a 9b though.  My lowest temperature this past winter was -0.9 degrees Celsius. The flat ( lower lying areas) recorded -9 degrees Celsius. 
      I moved into this house about 3 and a half years ago. The beginnings of the garden was cleaning up and eradicating alien invasive species and weeds. I started in the back and concentrated on South African indigenous plants. Now that that is settled I'm starting to add palms. The front and sides are now only starting with cleanup and planting in some areas.
      i have 33 palm species thus far.   Herewith some pictures. I'll add as the summer and the garden progresses.  
      These three pics are of the back garden planted with SA plants:

• ID required: Syagrus?
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone
      Another mystery palm.  Can anyone please help with identifying this palm.  I suspect it is a Syagrus sp.  Coronata?  Is there a green form?