IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cool and Cold hardiness seedlings in pots

LivistonaFan

hello, 

after a very long hot summer for Northern European standards, lows below 40 F are announced for next week (first time since April 7):mellow:. Highs are still in the 60s. At what temperature should I take the palms later mentioned indoors? 

Because I have too many Syagrus romanzoffianas and date palms, it would be nice to know the temperature at which the biggest wimps at least start to get damaged (so I can choose the hardiest ones for planting out) ? 

Maybe you could write it in this way to get some system in it (you can also suggest a better system) :

Name: lowest average maximum /minimum temperature at which the palm won't suffer any damage// ultimate low at which some get damaged

Palms (all less than a year old and in about 20x10x10 cm pots) :

-Washingtonia filifera 

-Washingtonia robusta

- Syagrus romanzoffiana

-Phoenix dactylifera 

-Brahea Super Silver

More rarer palms to follow soon. 

Feel free to add some other palm species of which you know these temperatures. I will share my experiences with you as well later this year. 

Thank you^_^

• Upvote 1

Anything that small I usually bring in my garage durning the winter months. To be safe I'd bring them in if weather is forecasting night lows under 32F. But I do have some experience with testing the boundaries of small 1 gal & liners left outside in my 8b California location.  Unfortunately exact temperature & condi

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Condition won't be accurate because of faulty memory :lol: bUT Id like to give my best opinion on this topic. So no  guarantees :D

There's a bit of factors involved though. Like if palms would be blocked from wind or if the have overhead protection, rain then hard freezes etc... so this would be dry conditions only.

Washingtonia filifera - 25F ( no damage to slightly damage ) 22F (died)

Washingtonia robusta - 26F ( no damage to slightly damage ) 23F (died)

Syagrus romanzoffiana - 32F ( no damage to slightly damage) 29F ( died)

Phoenix dactylifera - 26F ( no damage to slightly  damage) 23F (died)

Phoenix Canarena is - (same as dactyilferas )

Brahea Super Silver - 27F ( no damage to slightly damage) 23F (died)

Brahea Armata - (same as SS)

Brahea Edulis - 29F ( no damage to slightly damage) 25F ( died)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Because your palms are small seedlings in small pots I would bring them in anytime lows fell below freezing for more than a couple hours. If you leave them outdoors during freezing nights keep them on the dry side so ice crystals don't form in the potting medium and damage young roots. It would be a shame to lose a season's worth of growing in one freezing night. Lows listed above pertain to larger or adult planted palms not strap leaf seedlings. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you, if the low is below 32 F I will bring them indoors, but something like 35 F should be OK? 

I have also a Trachycarpus in pot(5 gal) (and two in ground). They tolerate freezing roots, so I can let them outside till the temps drop below 25F (or 20)? What's a safe temperature for my Chamaedorea microspadix (more like 2gal)? 

Great topic and timing as I'm in the same boat, although with different species. I have nearly 30 palms in pots that will need to come inside during the colder nights. Is the common consensus to try not to have the palms outdoors as much as possible as long as the temps are within reason? Or is it preferred to just bring them inside for a month or two until lows return to safety. Also, I have a few LED grow lights. If the palms are kept indoors for an extended period should I try to utilize them? Perhaps on a 6-8 hr on cycle as to not promote too much growth that might be tender?

Palms will always do better if kept outdoors during warm weather, which is why I don't keep houseplants. Depending on the species, you might be able to leave them outside when nights fall into the 50s, even 40s, as long as it doesn't rain and lows rebound significantly during the day. In SC that should be most of the year. But best to keep potted palm indoors if those temps don't rebound or lows fall below 40 and when cold rain is expected.

If you keep them indoors you need to provide supplemental light, heat (esp. for tropical palms) and humidity. Houses in winter are too dark, too cold and too dry to keep them alive, much less happy. You also need to monitor them for spider mites.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Palms will always do better if kept outdoors during warm weather, which is why I don't keep houseplants. Depending on the species, you might be able to leave them outside when nights fall into the 50s, even 40s, as long as it doesn't rain and lows rebound significantly during the day. In SC that should be most of the year. But best to keep potted palm indoors if those temps don't rebound or lows fall below 40 and when cold rain is expected.

If you keep them indoors you need to provide supplemental light, heat (esp. for tropical palms) and humidity. Houses in winter are too dark, too cold and too dry to keep them alive, much less happy. You also need to monitor them for spider mites.

Great info. Perhaps I should purchase a humidifier for the home, or at least for the temporary home/grow room. Any suggestions on supplemental light duration? 

Edited by RJ

Some kind of grow light setup should help. Do a search here or start a topic asking for advice. There are some pretty inventive ideas out there.

Meg

Florida