IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

question about finding jubaea x syagrus seeds

Love them palms

Saw this beautiful species of palm and looks like a good  Candidate of a palm for the PNW but the only problem is I cannot find this one hardly online anywhere and if I do they want an arm and a leg price wise.I want to really start them from seeds but can't find that either.does anyone have any info on where I can score a couple of these beauty 

Unfortunately I don't, but if you do locate a source let me know:greenthumb:

Thanks

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

You will never find these seeds available for purchase. 

Well at least I have 2 xbutiagrus nabonnandiia that I guess I will settle for now

On 9/21/2018, 9:27:01, Love them palms said:

Saw this beautiful species of palm and looks like a good  Candidate of a palm for the PNW but the only problem is I cannot find this one hardly online anywhere and if I do they want an arm and a leg price wise.I want to really start them from seeds but can't find that either.does anyone have any info on where I can score a couple of these beauty 

There's only one way to get a jubaea x syagrus nowadays and its Patric. I bought mine from him last year but I haven't planted it out yet. He said it's more cold hardy that a mule palm, so it should do alright here in the PNW.

12 hours ago, matthedlund said:

There's only one way to get a jubaea x syagrus nowadays and its Patric. I bought mine from him last year but I haven't planted it out yet. He said it's more cold hardy that a mule palm, so it should do alright here in the PNW.

Could not reply back on my other post about the Sylvester palms seeds but I started germination on them so let you know when they are ready.

There's a palm grower on the FB group that just posted free seeds from her jubaea that are likely pollinated by nearby syagrus. Can't guarantee each seed is a hybrid but with pollinators present, it's likely a good percentage of these would be hybrids. 

5 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Placed my order

I responded too, but wouldn't most or all of these just be regular Jubaea seeds?  What is the probability that they will cross pollinate naturally from being in close proximity?  It just seems like if it was this easy, they wouldn't be so rare.

Doesn't matter, I'd probably just kill them anyways....I have tried both Jubaea and BxJ and can't keep the seedlings alive for anything.

Steve

31 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

I responded too, but wouldn't most or all of these just be regular Jubaea seeds?  What is the probability that they will cross pollinate naturally from being in close proximity?  It just seems like if it was this easy, they wouldn't be so rare.

Doesn't matter, I'd probably just kill them anyways....I have tried both Jubaea and BxJ and can't keep the seedlings alive for anything.

Steve

No guarantee, really.  But i get natural hybrids from my syagrus and butia which are planted near each other. When they're in bloom the inflorescens are a buzz of activity with bees visiting both palms back and forth collecting pollen.

@Laaz That Mississippi place is buying Patric plants and other California plants and reselling them. They have made their own mule seed though. 

• Upvote 1

I hate to tell you but those are just straight pindo.  I purchased a few of these years ago and they are an extremely overpriced butia.  Ask the seller for the stamen count on the parent.

29 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I hate to tell you but those are just straight pindo.  I purchased a few of these years ago and they are an extremely overpriced butia.  Ask the seller for the stamen count on the parent.

e

29 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Where they the ones from palmsgalore777 for 29$

Edited by Love them palms

Hi all,

I'm not using facebook (sorry but I'm a data safety officer) so would it be possible that someone from the US places an order for me there ( https://m.facebook.com/groups/909926945737519?view=permalink&id=1999819886748214 )? I will send the shipping details and do payment via PayPal for sure. What would be a good number to get really hybrid seeds? I'll become crazy without these hybrids :yay: but plants are impossible for Europe without certificate.

Thanks

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

I wouldn't pay more than jubaea price for that seed. Jubaea right next to butia produce less than one hybrid plant per 1000 seeds germinated in my experience. Ive only had 4 hybrids out of 5000 jubaea seed germinated. They are rare but easy to spot after a year. 

I do have fresh, real 7-8stamen bxj f2 seeds available right now. Just finished cleaning them two weeks ago. 

• Upvote 1

Joe, what do you get for the BxJ seed?  Unfortunately the seedlings I got didn't make it.  Probably my fault (humidity / overhead water issues) but would consider trying again.

Hoping the JxS hybrid becomes more available as rumors so far suggest better moisture and cold tolerance

Edited by Turtlesteve

15 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I wouldn't pay more than jubaea price for that seed. Jubaea right next to butia produce less than one hybrid plant per 1000 seeds germinated in my experience. Ive only had 4 hybrids out of 5000 jubaea seed germinated. They are rare but easy to spot after a year. 

I do have fresh, real 7-8stamen bxj f2 seeds available right now. Just finished cleaning them two weeks ago. 

Sold,would like to unload some?

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

21 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Sold- would you like to unload a few-this site is being strange on my phone sorry for the reapeat messages