IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Play Pick Three!

Cindy Adair

The electricity went out yesterday here.

Who knows why.

So today instead of grocery shopping when my fridge is "resting" I played with my palms.

I spotted 3 that I particularly like at the moment and snapped a photo.

They are my "Pick 3" palms for today.

The biggest is Pinanga sp. Thai mottled. The bottom left is Iguanura piahensis

and to the right is Calyptrocalyx archboldianus.

DSCN9226.thumb.jpg.797abab9608b1d66d2668

So if you wish to play, pick three, big or small, common or rare, in pots or in the ground, yours or not and take a photo, separately or together.

Then post here and repeat as often as you like. Thanks!

Everyone's a winner!

• Upvote 15

Cindy Adair

Cindy, all 3 of yours are perfect. I will try to take photos of 3 of mine later today.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Oh how FUN! Thanks for starting this Cindy! Your Thai Mottled is stunning! More mottling than mine. Maybe mine needs more sun. I digress...

I'll post my Pick 3 when I get home this evening ^_^

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

21 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Last one is pigafetta 

Keep us posted on your pigafetta. They are really cool. I tried one but it died after about 8 months in the ground. I do t really understand why. So I would love to see how it goes in your area.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

John yours are lovely and thanks so much for playing! 

I miss my 2 Pigafettas and may have to order seed again as I have not found any seedlings for sale. I had good luck with an order years ago from rarepalmseeds, but the plants died trying to move them. I understand Floribunda sometimes has seed but no seedlings to sell when I last ordered.

Oh Missi I do see some difference in the mottling between the 4 sp. Thai mottled I have.

Makes sense with seedlings I guess and I showed the one which currently has the most interesting patterns.

I have only tried these in shade and no fertilizer (or water except as it rains) once in the ground so have no opinion on a trial in more sun. 

By the way the power is back on and I sure am glad the weather is better than exactly a year ago today when hurricane Maria nailed us!

Cindy Adair

Well, (harrumph!)

I do believe in compromise

So plant all three!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow those look great Cisco and surely more of a challenge growing them in Finland than in the tropics. Even your nice white pots sparkle! Thanks!

Oh Dave, I will definitely plant mine, but need to clear more jungle first to find just the right spots and most of the shady areas relatively near my house are not flat. Good exercise....

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

3 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

That should say lanonia dasyantha. My phone corrected it to samantha lol

:floor: Hey man, if keeping "Samantha" in a pot / confined space is your thing, go for it.. Just be careful who you tell.. Gotta love auto correct sometimes:bemused:

• Upvote 2

Three from me (L-R): Livistona fulva, Schippia concolor, Dypsis ambositrae

(Background: Jubaea chilensis and an Agapanthus 'Twister' in bloom)

3Palms.png

• Upvote 4

Meine drei, my three. 

A majesty palm.(Ravenea rivularis)

A cat palm.(Chamaedorea cataractarum)

And one which needs no introduction.:D

The first two are dark green since they receive no direct sunlight. 

20180921_154039-1494x2656.jpg

20180921_154053-1494x2656.jpg

20180918_124348-1494x2656.jpg

• Upvote 5

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Such a great pick but mine is in the ground so it was not a choice 

20180902_072120.jpg

John,

I believe Cindy said in a pot or in the ground. Essentially, no rules on you favorite pucks. S9 show me you top 3 in ground palms. :P

• Upvote 2

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

I am really enjoying seeing everyone's Pick 3 of the day. Many lovely palms!

And yes, since there is no prize, there are no rules either, so enter often. No stress to select only three favorites of all time.

I laughed over the Samantha autocorrect interchange. Always interesting what phones and computers do with latin names.

Just today I sent an email to a palm person with "since" instead of "sense" and "diameter" instead of "diagonal", but I probably can't blame autocorrect for these.

Silly me, not proofing before pressing the send button.

Anyway, too dark for more photos from me tonight, but I'll be back soon with three more!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I love this thread! Here are my picks for today (subject to change at any moment):D

1. Pelagadoxa henryana

2. Kerriodoxa elegans

3. Areca vestiaria red form

20180922_103936.jpg

20180922_104316.jpg

20180922_104228.jpg

• Upvote 9

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Alright, here are mine. None are rare, but I like them! 

First is my Butia. 15376390727587.thumb.jpg.5062f0f02858801

Next is my Needle Palm, that us really starting to grow pretty quickly. 1537639073195142.thumb.jpg.e915b7ee78e26

And finally, this is not one palm, but they I are in the same pot (Yes! I know they need to be reported very badly, I am doing that today later on!) 1537639073547516.thumb.jpg.52fab6bd9e0cd

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

But I have so few pots to choose from! ;) 

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here goes. I started with my stellar dwarf Areca but the others are what happened to catch my eye as I strolled about - all subject to change on a whim.

Areca catechu dwarf

5ba69d02c2c58_Arecacatechudwarf0109-22-1

Chamaedorea metallica Pinnate Form

5ba69d28e7a05_Chamaedoreametallicapinnat

Dictyosperma album - great palm that always looks pristine

5ba69d5ebfc90_Dictyospermaalbum0109-22-1

Bonus shot: Pritchardia pacifica looking its best until winter winds and cold burn its leaves. Behind and to the right is a Satakentia

5ba69db647183_Pritchardiapacifica0109-22

• Upvote 13

Meg

Florida

I must say I am truly enjoying all of your choices from lots of different climates including some from VA and New Zealand that would likely just sulk if I subjected them to my tropical conditions. Even plants with "palm" common names! In pots or in the ground or not yours? No rules here.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to contribute.

I snapped quite a few photos today as I kept changing my mind! Most of my palms are small except for the BIG Roystonea borinquenas planted by the previous owner.

However my pick 3 for today are 3 seedlings from my Areca vestiaria red group that seems to be keeping Mom's color. I finally got around to repotting most of these and they are now picking up speed and color! 

Keep those great photos coming!

DSCN9261.thumb.jpg.dfffcce80aae47f16ee1d

• Upvote 8

Cindy Adair

OOOOOO, a daily pick 3 just like Lotto. I like it. Will photo more choices tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

My pick for a Sunday morning perusing the photo bank:

Dypsis ‘orange crush’ sporting its bright sunny color

AD49ED13-32AB-4C3C-8528-7538E6DDA8F4.thu

Caryota zebrina, with lacy leaves and camouflage stripes

B093204D-432C-481B-A0E2-F30B1098D2A3.thu

Cyrtostachys renda with it’s pleasing complimentary color scheme

983A744F-FFC2-4C51-A251-B10EA315D0AD.thu

Selected from pre-eruption photos to show them in green surroundings, though each of these remains quite healthy. 

• Upvote 7

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great topic , here's my three favourites at the moment . Licuala Rabaul ,   Phoenicophorium borsigianum and a small Licuala naumanii . 

IMG_2707.thumb.JPG.cb6790cf12cabaf319e8eIMG_2709.thumb.JPG.bdf2d856e7b76ff25b34aIMG_2714.thumb.JPG.506d4b06336567d1d10bc

• Upvote 6

I moved about 6mo ago so the garden is new so I don't have big specimens yet but here are my 3 for the day

20180831_082517.jpg

• Upvote 2

Dang! I really dropped the ball here! I'll join in soon! :wub: LOVING all the picks, keep 'em going!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Wow! such wonderful posts! I had to look up Licuala rabaul! Always fun to see a new to me Licuala.

John, yours are clearly happy in their new homes! 

I am so glad to hear from you Kim that the amazing trio you selected are OK. Did some on the "plants in the wrong places" meaning weeds (if you even had any) get killed by any chance? For a little while here after Maria the tough vines were invisible above ground, seemingly sandblasted off trees too. Sadly they came back stronger and are busy strangling all they can grab here.

Let's see, my pick 3 for today are:

Dypsis ovobontsira (or so my label says...) is first.

DSCN9238.thumb.jpg.cbbba82d9bd681a746ba6

Licuala cordata, is below and I wish I had more than the one! The label has the penciled name as if I would forget. However now if I get hit by a bus, struck by lightening or whatever someone might let it grow and someday seed here.

DSCN9245.thumb.jpg.81b89cd5df36ccd10967d

Here is Pinanga maculata which has been the one Pinanga species I have killed more than once. So far so good, but maybe just in case I should take frequent photos of the several I have now.

DSCN9255.thumb.jpg.67248061ac06241ecbea7

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Location, location, location......( sigh ! ) photos highlighting some of my rather foolish choices re planting positions.....lol

Yes, that is a Grandis jammed up under my back stairs.....mind you its taken 25 years to get to this stage.

XqMfHbfh.jpg

Can't remember the name of this viciously spiked palm but its planted on the edge of a paved walkway ( now not in use lol )

562VDfGh.jpg

Same with one ....is it a Sabal ? Being a lapsed enthusiast I have mostly forgotten what I planted back in the day....suffice to say having this palm so close to my BBQ means the BBQ is no longer a BBQ....its now part of my seed raising and potting up area.... oh well.

W2PfIghh.jpg

• Upvote 3