IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea regia in Cathedral City, CA

cjl527

Hi, Just moved to Cathedral City and have been walking the neighborhood and came upon two beautiful examples of  Roystonea regia.  Here are pictures.  Does anyone in the area know where these can be purchased or ordered online.  I've called several nurseries in the area with no success.  I have been told I could get them closer to the coast.  Anyone else in Coachella Valley have success with these beautiful palms?

Thanks!Roystonea.thumb.JPG.e438b402453ad914bdae

Roystonea (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Nice pictures!  Welcome to the forum!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That regia is well grown.

Contact Josh O or try the for sale forum. You can find them here in Southern CA.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful! The first time I was in the Coachella Valley, I was amazed at the amount of tropicals that seem to grow well there. Just about every house in the neighborhood I was in had a ficus benjamina out front as a shade tree. 

The Roystoneas are pretty commonly available throughout coastal Southern California. Welcome to the forum! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cjl527 said:

Hi folks, thanks so much.  I'm totally new to forums so how would I contact Josh O about Rostoneas?

Use the private message (PM) feature.  When you login, click the envelope icon beside your login name at the top-right of the screen.  Send it to Josh-O.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Welcome to PalmTalk. Those hurricane cut Washies in the background of photo 1 look terrible. Someone out there mustn't know you don't get hurricanes.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to PalmTalk. Those hurricane cut Washies in the background of photo 1 look terrible. Someone out there mustn't know you don't get hurricanes.

Cjl527, welcome again to the forum.. Agree w / others, you shouldn't have a hard time locating some nice Royals.. If anything, you're more likely to find yourself with a case of acute palm addiction if you buy from some of our senior members with their own nurseries out there.. 

Meg, agree,  apparently local powers that be never get that memo here either..

Notice what they left behind / didn't clean up in the last picture..  a lot more of a "blows all over the place" issue during our summer Monsoon wind events than butchering the palms themselves..

Caught in the act, back in June.. All look a little better now.. 
DSCN4039.JPG.b0115b4b8cc5428da65e5f12f81DSCN4040.JPG.3370be4c22a7303a52138bc3305DSCN4041.JPG.7c4fa24b1049caf32c31c372d63DSCN4038.JPG.187c81d577c1fa50debe76ba143

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oh my, that is palm butchery. Why don't they just cut them down and be done with it.?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

27 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Oh my, that is palm butchery. Why don't they just cut them down and be done with it.?

I have thought the same thing, especially regarding 2 in which the trunks are thin and appear as though they are shedding a bark-like layer (can be seen in the second picture).  The rest look good, trunk-wise but i myself have envisioned replacing them with something like Royals or Mules. The street median is wide enough to accommodate either. Bismarcks could work also but i can see issues with fronds getting tossed around when larger.. Butchering those would surely be .. insert your own thoughts, lol.. 

There also used to be Palo Verde planted in the median further north, closer to Chandler Blvd. but i don't see them lasting much longer, especially with how they are cared for ( butchered each summer, like the palms) The city also has some Live Oaks, of all things, planted as well..

Honestly, if i were staying here, i'd approach the city about adopting the median and installing things that would look good / address proper maintenance of the palms but, as the saying goes, sometimes you have to pick which battles you want to sign on for..  Noticed a few days ago that some sort of street project may be in the works as someone has recently spray painted marks out by the ends of all the driveways on our block.   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cjl527 said:

Hi, Just moved to Cathedral City and have been walking the neighborhood and came upon two beautiful examples of  Roystonea regia.  Here are pictures.  Does anyone in the area know where these can be purchased or ordered online.  I've called several nurseries in the area with no success.  I have been told I could get them closer to the coast.  Anyone else in Coachella Valley have success with these beautiful palms?

Thanks!Roystonea.thumb.JPG.e438b402453ad914bdae

Roystonea (2).JPG

Welcome to Palm Talk!

Roystoneas are a LOT to love.

That first picture is a better installation than the second. 

Below is a pic of my biggest Roystonea regia, with my house and helpful handy-dude for scale. Planted as a baby in October of 2004. (Palm, not dude.)

A few things:

They’re thirsty but do well in the desert if you water enough (a lot).

The leaves on the plant pictured weigh 50 pounds each when they fall.

The first pic in your post is better because when it gets big the leaves won’t fall on someone’s car or head.

They'll get big in the desert, too. I recall a specimen on Route 111 back in the late 1990s that was the size of the plant below, more or less.

Give space!

E19DDF37-40C4-45BD-B584-5E166A0ED140.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

That's a beautiful specimen Dave

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I agree with you @PalmatierMeg! I see sabals all around here that get the hurricane cuts. Whats the point, just take heart of the palm out! Its as simple as cut off all the dead fronds and fruit stalks, clean the trunk a bit. All that should be left is a full crown of green fronds and and a fresh trunk. I also see where the power company has done this to bradford pears which are weak enough as it is, they surely dont need help! The power company has also cut a Live Oak into a U-shape for powerlines.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 9/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Cjl527, welcome again to the forum.. Agree w / others, you shouldn't have a hard time locating some nice Royals.. If anything, you're more likely to find yourself with a case of acute palm addiction if you buy from some of our senior members with their own nurseries out there.. 

Meg, agree,  apparently local powers that be never get that memo here either..

Notice what they left behind / didn't clean up in the last picture..  a lot more of a "blows all over the place" issue during our summer Monsoon wind events than butchering the palms themselves..

Caught in the act, back in June.. All look a little better now.. 
DSCN4039.JPG.b0115b4b8cc5428da65e5f12f81DSCN4040.JPG.3370be4c22a7303a52138bc3305DSCN4041.JPG.7c4fa24b1049caf32c31c372d63DSCN4038.JPG.187c81d577c1fa50debe76ba143

That hurts to look at. 

PalmTreeDude