IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Problem Areas

Josue Diaz

I was just thinking today that just about every gardener I know has a part of the yard that for one reason or another just never seems to be everything they hoped for. I've got one. It's the back corner behind my garage. It's an awkward spot, not really appropriate for hanging out due to the proximity to phone and electricity lines. There's not nearly enough sun for growing veggies or fruits, or fruit trees - even weeds don't grow here. My neighbor's huge oak litters the ground daily, so it's constantly in need of raking/sweeping. To top it off, this area has no irrigation set up. Every time I think about doing something to spruce it up, I'm overwhelmed and end up putting it off. The fact that this space is out of sight only helps me to continue to push it off. The only plants that I think may actually do well here may be clivia and perhaps some neglect-tolerant chamaedorea like radicalis. 

Anyone care to show their trouble areas? Maybe that spot where you pile all your green waste? Or where palms/plants go to die? Please show us pics! And if you've overcome, show us what you did! I, for one, could use the inspiration. 

This area for me sucks. No direct sun light due to the fence but super hot because the house reflects the heat. Been very hard to get anything to grow well here. The double foxtail is looking the best it ever has and even then looks not great. 

0D41D5C5-E5FD-4EF7-88ED-A6205CD45570.jpeg

• Upvote 5

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

20 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

This area for me sucks. No direct sun light due to the fence but super hot because the house reflects the heat. Been very hard to get anything to grow well here. The double foxtail is looking the best it ever has and even then looks not great. 

0D41D5C5-E5FD-4EF7-88ED-A6205CD45570.jpeg

Man, I feel ya. Those long, narrow side yards are difficult to work with. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Josue Diaz said:

Man, I feel ya. Those long, narrow side yards are difficult to work with. 

My north facing side yard is great. Lucky it’s much wider too. Impossible to take a photo of but it’s a jungle. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

My problem area is burdened by my neighbor's Brazilian pepper tree, which I attribute the problem to.  I try to keep the Brazilian pepper trimmed so that it isn't dropping the little seeds all over my yard, but when we get Santa Ana winds our of the east, it blows them right into my yard to the west.  I lost a Ravenea sambiranensis in this spot, and replaced it with a cycad (Encephalartos sclavoi), then added another sclavoi on the other side of an Encephalartos longifolius I brought from another garden.  Neither of the E scalvoi's have flushed, and the E longifolius didn't push a normal flush the last time it did actually flush a couple of year's ago.  I added a root barrier along the fence line about 3 years ago as part of replacing my rock driveway with pavers.  I also removed plenty of running roots from the pepper tree at the same time.  These are the three plants last winter, about 6 months ago, and they haven't changed a bit.  Meanwhile I have filled my green garbage bins at least 3 times trimming the Brazilian Pepper over that period.  It is such a weed tree!  I even dug out soil and replaced it about a month ago, to try to address any problems from all the red seeds dropping, but no response yet.

20180303-104A8678.jpg

20180303-104A8679.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The ground in my far-back lot is sugar sand covering marl (limestone clay). On top of that, it is also the area that gets the most frost each winter. Pseudophoenix sargentii, Sabal mauritiiformis, and Copernicia baileyana are doing well back there though.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Sometimes even the best laid plans generate poor results.  The cactus went into decline, the purple fountain grass has become a maintenance issue, and some weeds are creeping back in.  The good news is that October is right around the corner.  As soon as the caladiums call it a year, the machete and the shovel are coming out and some different plants are going in this spot.  Thankfully, the hedges hide most of it for now.

The ugliest area of my garden by a mile:

20180917_182531_ProblemArea_1600x900.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 9/17/2018, 7:17:45, kinzyjr said:

Sometimes even the best laid plans generate poor results.  The cactus went into decline, the purple fountain grass has become a maintenance issue, and some weeds are creeping back in.  The good news is that October is right around the corner.  As soon as the caladiums call it a year, the machete and the shovel are coming out and some different plants are going in this spot.  Thankfully, the hedges hide most of it for now.

The ugliest area of my garden by a mile:

20180917_182531_ProblemArea_1600x900.jpg

My purple fountain grass looks just the same most of the time :indifferent:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

My purple fountain grass looks just the same most of the time :indifferent:

At one point, I used rope to keep the clump tight together.  That helped a little, but it still lays over anytime we get a hard rain (everyday this year).  I'm over it.  Probably going to go with understory palms when I rework this area.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This is a problem area for me at the beach. It is an interior garden and it is next to impossible to get the right mix of plants.I has a small pool and waterwall that has to be accesed. It is a small space and eventually most palms grow too large. I am happy with this space at this time, but it is a challenge.

IMG_2055.thumb.jpg.6aa516c7802f4324e9240

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c