IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Those of you who enjoyed the Salacca magnifica at Fairchild...

Missi

I'm sorry to report that the massive Salacca magnifica in the Fairchild Conservatory is now gone. They're completely revamping the Conservatory with plants they picked up on trips to Thailand in 2015 and 2017. I visited in May, and when I visited again this past weekend, I didn't even recognize where I was at. I was told they'll be removing the Verschaffeltia splendida specimens soon too (that makes sense, though, because they're now too tall). I have mixed emotions on this because I LOVED how beautiful and lush everything used to be in there.

IMG_0688.jpg

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

27 minutes ago, Xenon said:

RIP

FB_IMG_1536586026946.thumb.jpg.8c6b86d22

Best Salacca magnifica photo EVER! :floor: Same reaction from me each time I saw her :wub:

25 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

WHAT???????????????

I know. I felt like I got punched in the stomach when I saw this. 

In other news, they did plant a Sabinaria magnifica specimen, Geonoma atrovirens, variegated Cyrtostachys renda (I think that's what it is), and I think a Pinanga aristata (is that what that is?)

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

• Upvote 9

So disappointing. That salacca was my favorite plant in a conservatory filled with really cool plants. When I was last there they were working on splitting it because it had grown I to the walkway. I wonder if that process went horribly wrong? Does anyone know if the were able to relocate it?

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

7 hours ago, Tracy S said:

So disappointing. That salacca was my favorite plant in a conservatory filled with really cool plants. When I was last there they were working on splitting it because it had grown I to the walkway. I wonder if that process went horribly wrong? Does anyone know if the were able to relocate it?

I just heard from Chad, one of the horticulturalists at Fairchild. He said they have a well-established offset at their nursery. They removed it from the Conservatory because it was a hazard to kids who visit on field trips and also because (apparently) it readily grows outdoors and that many people have mature specimens successfully growing outdoors here in Florida (which is new news to me). They needed the space it took up for other plants that are sensitive to cold and need purified water to thrive.

• Upvote 7

Poor thing. Salacca magnifica is one of my favorites.. I just got one last time I was at florabunda.  It is small now but hope it grows good for me here in mountain view 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Missi. That's great news. I have a really small s. magnifica planted in the ground here. I'm waiting to see how it grows. I was so impressed by the one at Fairchild that I had to have it. :) 

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Sad news followed by good news! That is not a bad thing. If the specimen is growing well outside, the conservatory is probably not the right spot. My guess is that Fairchild likely refurbishes and hopefully it will be interesting. Thank you for the update.

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

On 9/12/2018, 1:48:26, Tracy S said:

Thanks Missi. That's great news. I have a really small s. magnifica planted in the ground here. I'm waiting to see how it grows. I was so impressed by the one at Fairchild that I had to have it. :) 

AWESOME! How long has it been in the ground? Can't wait for updates! :yay:

15 hours ago, bubba said:

Sad news followed by good news! That is not a bad thing. If the specimen is growing well outside, the conservatory is probably not the right spot. My guess is that Fairchild likely refurbishes and hopefully it will be interesting. Thank you for the update.

My pleasure! Have to keep my fellow Palmies updated! Good news for sure. I'm going to see how a couple of my Salacca zalacca seedlings do in ground. Then I might plant my S. multiflora in ground because it has out-grown my lanai. Have to see how it does in the shadehouse this winter.. :unsure:

This is the only photo of it I can find. It was an iconic tree!

-Randy

DSC_0044.JPG

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I had a Salacca magnifica for a while in my greenhouse. I eventually had to remove it. It was just too dangerous to work around

sal1.jpg

• Upvote 3

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

You can seat through the way here. It was an absolute beast to remove.

2009 083.jpg

• Upvote 1

I went to the aroid show at Fairchild gardens today. I ran into Cindy (sarah) Adair and Elvis Cruz and got 5o hang out with them for a while. I also saw Paul and Sue Craft. Great catching up with everybody. 

I dropped by the rare palm conservatory to see what was up. Lots of stuff is gone as was mentioned and some new cool stuff in its place. Unfortunately, they are still planting and haven't labeled most of the new plants.

After a brief conversation with more than a half a dozen people and walking a couple miles in search of,.... I found the salacca magnifica in the lowlands. It looked sad. However, it seems plenty healthy and in another year it should be beautiful again. It's encouraging to see it planted outside. It gives hope that this beautiful plant can live in this environment unprotected. Cool.

20180915_142756.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Here are some gorgeous plants they put in place of the salacca magnifica. There are two different kinds a variegated and a red leader version from the curculigo family. They weren't labeled but Chad Husby serendipitously showed up and filled in the name (Thanks Chad).

There is also a nice looking Sabinara in the group.

20180915_120744.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

On 9/13/2018, 7:32:58, metalfan said:

I had a Salacca magnifica for a while in my greenhouse. I eventually had to remove it. It was just too dangerous to work around

sal1.jpg

Ahhhh NICE! What kind of greenhouse do you have?

On 9/15/2018, 6:38:34, Tracy S said:

I went to the aroid show at Fairchild gardens today. I ran into Cindy (sarah) Adair and Elvis Cruz and got 5o hang out with them for a while. I also saw Paul and Sue Craft. Great catching up with everybody. 

I dropped by the rare palm conservatory to see what was up. Lots of stuff is gone as was mentioned and some new cool stuff in its place. Unfortunately, they are still planting and haven't labeled most of the new plants.

After a brief conversation with more than a half a dozen people and walking a couple miles in search of,.... I found the salacca magnifica in the lowlands. It looked sad. However, it seems plenty healthy and in another year it should be beautiful again. It's encouraging to see it planted outside. It gives hope that this beautiful plant can live in this environment unprotected. Cool.

20180915_142756.jpg

OOO!! Great job finding it!! Where about in the Lowlands is it?

On 9/15/2018, 6:47:45, Tracy S said:

Here are some gorgeous plants they put in place of the salacca magnifica. There are two different kinds a variegated and a red leader version from the curculigo family. They weren't labeled but Chad Husby serendipitously showed up and filled in the name (Thanks Chad).

There is also a nice looking Sabinara in the group.

20180915_120744.jpg

I love this plant! Stood and admired it for a few minutes. It offsets quickly so I'm hoping they'll offer it for sale at one of the members day plant sales in a few years as I cannot find it for sale. I have the plain green form/species and mine gets the exact flowers this plant has so I'm curious whether it is a different species or just a different form.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Missi said:

Ahhhh NICE! What kind of greenhouse do you have?

OOO!! Great job finding it!! Where about in the Lowlands is it?

I love this plant! Stood and admired it for a few minutes. It offsets quickly so I'm hoping they'll offer it for sale at one of the members day plant sales in a few years as I cannot find it for sale. I have the plain green form/species and mine gets the exact flowers this plant has so I'm curious whether it is a different species or just a different form.

Missi, a big one LOL. Tropical house with a pond and a stream

• Upvote 2

To find the plant at Fairchild, if you leave the butterfly house make a right onto the path. It's about 300 yards in the right hand side. It close to the property line fence. Good luck finding it. I walked by it more than once.

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

1 hour ago, metalfan said:

Awesome Meagan. Can you give us some sneak peeks inside?

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

I have tried Salacca magnifica and S. zalacca here and both were too tender. But on the other hand we have a mature Salacca wallichiana growing here that was planted 20 years ago. 

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 9/17/2018, 3:46:25, metalfan said:

OOOHHH Please make a greenhouse tour post!! Was it custom built, or was it a kit? I want one sooo bad!

1 hour ago, Missi said:

OOOHHH Please make a greenhouse tour post!! Was it custom built, or was it a kit? I want one sooo bad!

Once I get it all spiffed totally I will. It was custom built 15 years ago.

• Upvote 2

I have a salacca dransfieldiana in the ground for about 3 years and it's doing fine. I have a salacca magnifica in the ground but I just planted it in April so I can't give any hardiness information at this point.

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

I am looking forward to seeing your pjctures.

6 minutes ago, metalfan said:

Once I get it all spiffed totally I will. It was custom built 15 years ago.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Great photos everyone! It was great to see some of you at the Aroid show! 

Thanks Tracy for the lead and phone number as it worked out and I had a memorable tour.

Years ago Steve Stern had a big S. magnifica in his private collection shade house. He showed it to me even though he had sold it to a collector already.

Beautiful, but yes, so spiny! It makes Verschaffeltias seem tame in comparison.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

On 9/20/2018, 8:17:38, Cindy Adair said:

Beautiful, but yes, so spiny! It makes Verschaffeltias seem tame in comparison.

The tips of their spikes break off and splinter deep on my skin :crying: Where as Salacca just slices me. I prefer slices over splinters! :lol::blink::wacko:

5 hours ago, Missi said:

The tips of their spikes break off and splinter deep on my skin :crying: Where as Salacca just slices me. I prefer slices over splinters! :lol::blink::wacko:

Salacca spp. clump exuberantly here and make big impenetrable evil masses. And because they are dioecious I feel guilty for just planting one.

That said, several S. magnifica would be worth it the space and better than barbed wire to mark my property line! Alas, not an easy one to find, in my budget anyway.

However once my little seedling Verschaffeltias get bigger, maybe I should prune the spines within reach off their trunks before they pierce me? Hmmm...

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 5 years later...

Another great topic worth rereading!

Updates always appreciated.

Enjoy!

Cindy Adair

Out with old and in with new what makes a true gardener is your always changing your garden around 

Got a couple of the spineless form in pots. Surprised they are still alive here and forever hopeful