IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan

Chris Wilson

Here’s a few pictures from yesterday evening. It’s doing so well 9 new fronds already this year.

5122C911-68A0-462A-BF68-14AAEB2A76E2.jpeg

EFEF61B6-8B4E-49C8-BDDD-EE7950BF7E35.jpeg

C37F6F8A-7E8D-46B3-B90A-7155C5B6C7DC.jpeg

• Like 7

I also noticed something that I thought was interesting recently, my palm is starting to get a few 360 degree fronds.

8ECA5B77-5810-4C3E-BEDB-F1B49315D9FE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PaPalmTree said:

How are your other plants doing 

The only thing I lost was a small Washingtonia Robusta and possibly my silver saw palmetto. Everything else is recovering. Sabal Minor and Needle palm didn’t have any damage at all. My bigger Washingtonia Robusta and my Chamaedorea Radicalis defoliated but are growing back. My Cycas Revoluta is growing a nice flush of leaves right now and my biggest surprise was my Meyer lemon surviving it’s first winter in Ohio.

038F0EEB-93C0-482B-AF4B-9B243CFD364F.jpeg

9DB139B3-345B-4114-BDB8-8EEC7AA45178.jpeg

456810E2-9019-4E7B-A621-A47A33A3F151.jpeg

EBDC4812-3A74-45D4-B958-C5951AF95344.jpeg

4D2A34EE-9245-4DE7-8579-66265CF548B6.jpeg

B793DDBA-2BF1-4507-AD72-CB3039FC2AEA.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm probably gonna put my Meyer Lemon in the ground how do you protect yours

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaPalmTree said:

I'm probably gonna put my Meyer Lemon in the ground how do you protect yours

I kept it very simple lol. I used mini Christmas lights plugged into a thermocube. Then I put a few wooden stakes around it and covered it with a tarp a blanket and then plastic on top. I cut a small hole in the side of it to vent because it was holding a lot of moisture in there at first. When I lost electric in December for 14 hours the temps were around 0F and a little lower all day, I placed a super hand warmer in there and I’m pretty sure that is the only reason it survived that.

• Like 2

Hey i don't know if it is normal to have the little bulge on the palm fronds where the petiole and the frond connect and it holds all the fronds because the fronds from my t. bulgaria look more like kind of the older fronds of chris's palm back when it was small.  It seems weird because my last t fortunei did not have that trait and the fronds were more 180 degrees but thats a different story when it comes to the bulgaria.  Although some bulgaria specimen do have this bulge and they seem like they have the winsan mutation but mostly don't.  But im just wondering if there are other answers.

off topic

I also read up on the tesan mutation and it shows that the trunk is way more thicker on smaller specimens and the fronds are more stiffer and closer to the trunk like t. wagnerious. 

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 1

The tesan mutation would far more make a skinned t. fortunei look much better in apperance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My palm has made a really nice recovery this year. Even after defoliating it grew 15 new fronds, which is about the same growth rate as past growing seasons.

FF97AB90-6E55-4B28-BD75-17FA8785FB56.jpeg

ABDAB304-9E7E-4047-BE4C-1A604CBE7405.jpeg

• Like 6