IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Queen update.

Palm crazy

Here is an update on my B x Q. This one was planted as a seedling many years ago and is finally getting some size to it. I haven't had to protect it in a long time. This palm is so much hardier than I would have thought. It is growing in one of my best microclimates between two houses and there's a tall holly tree above to give overhead protection. Not bad for z8a. Although I don't get that cold very often. 

Anyone else growing this B x Q? What has been your experience? What are its limits when it comes to cold? 

DSC_0005.JPG

• Upvote 1

I don't see it ever surviving 8a temps. Every single one of mine had spear pull & my largest one was killed outright @ 16F this past winter. The 6 that survived have recovered well, but don't want to see that type of temp again.

Yes, it is an x Butiagrus nabonnadii. I bought it many years ago from a friend who said he got it from dr. Wilcox in FL. as a seedling. 

Laaz mine has been through 15F before with just spear pull but recovered nicely since then and that was quite a few years ago.  I did wrap it with a blanket that cold spell. Not being out in the open has been why it is still alive I think and away from cold winds. It's very protected in this little spot but still gets plenty of sunshine but not in full sun. Last spring 2017 I almost killed it by giving too much fertilizer, it lost the whole center then.

A friend thinks I should put rope lights around it to give more protection in winter but I don't want any new tender growth that will be weak from lack of sun (in winter). I plan on trying the rope lights next spring and see if it grow faster. 

Edited by Palm crazy

If you mean the Mule palm, which you most likely do, then yes, I have three in ground and one in a pot waiting to get more size to it before I plant it. 

Here are my two bigger ones. Planted in January and February this year, so too early to comment on their hardiness yet. 

A419489B-1A3E-4206-9B6B-7C6FD1E94EAE.jpeg

Edited by Estlander
  • Upvote 2

I just planted one in Mobile (8b) that I bought from a grower on the Mississippi coast, which is rated USDA 9a but last winter he claims colder temperatures than the 17° low in Mobile; I think he said 14°.

Edited by Manalto

Nice one!  I wish I could grow this one in full sun but it would die I am sure if I did. 

5 minutes ago, Manalto said:

I just planted one in Mobile (8b) that I bought from a grower on the Mississippi coast, which is rated USDA 9a but they reported colder temperatures last winter than the 17° low in Mobile; I think he said 14°.

I don't think anyone else has this palm or at least never heard of anyone in the PNW with one. I haven't had a bad winter in 5 years but the palm has been in the ground for at least 8. I think you have a better chance of getting it to mature size than I do, Manalto. LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy

2 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Nice looking young palm, Estlander!

Thanks. They interestingly are quite different looking. One has more of an upright growth and is about 10ft. tall, the other one has very droopy fronds and is about 8ft. tall. 

Will be able to comment on their growth speed and cold hardiness after winters to come. 

4 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Thanks. They interestingly are quite different looking. One has more of an upright growth and is about 10ft. tall, the other one has very droopy fronds and is about 8ft. tall. 

Will be able to comment on their growth speed and cold hardiness after winters to come. 

Yeah, that is a nice looking palm for sure. :greenthumb:

Suppose to have another mild winter here and an early spring so I am hoping for the best with lots of new growth time will tell. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Nice one!  I wish I could grow this one in full sun but it would die I am sure if I did. 

Mules LOVE full sun. Have them in full sun too. 

I should point out that the last three winters have been 9a for me. nothing below 23F. But did get down to 19F and 15F years ago. The next big one that hits will be a test for sure, but I'll wrap it if that happens. The overhead tree protecting it is why it made it this long. LOL! 

8 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

I should point out that the last three winters have been 9a for me. nothing below 23F. But did get down to 19F and 15F years ago. The next big one that hits will be a test for sure, but I'll wrap it if that happens. The overhead tree protecting it is why it made it this long. LOL! 

Oh i see! The reason you can’t grow it in full sun is because you need the overhead canopy for protection. My bad :)

Should the 80’s freezes ever return then mine would be in real trouble too here in the FL 9A. 

• Upvote 1

I see TexasColdHardy has some.  I'm considering giving one a shot since I see you've done well so far.  I'm in a solid 8B with decent summer heat, this year we had 30 days above   90F.  Finding a place out of the east wind in winter is the key. for me, as well as the real estate as I'm just about out of space.  I have a small jubea that's sitting in a pot looking for a home at the moment.

Plus I lack any kind of evergreen canopy, the original owners really seemed to like maple trees:rolleyes:

Edited by Chester B
add more info

Chester, the prices have come down a lot on mule palm so I say go for it if you have a spot. My garden is very full maybe even too Full.  can't go wrong with a Jubaea I think they are hardier than Butia here. 

I just look up my last three winter lows and here is the correction. 19F, 21F 23F.  I'm hoping for 25F this winter. LOL! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018, 1:24:21, Palm crazy said:

I don't think anyone else has this palm or at least never heard of anyone in the PNW with one. I haven't had a bad winter in 5 years but the palm has been in the ground for at least 8. I think you have a better chance of getting it to mature size than I do, Manalto. LOL! 

Hey PalmCrazy,

I actually suspect that mule palms are more common in the PNW than you'd think. I have two myself that I bought from ErikSJI after he sold his place up on San Juan Island. He sold a lot of mule palms there for a while.

9 hours ago, matthedlund said:

Hey PalmCrazy,

I actually suspect that mule palms are more common in the PNW than you'd think. I have two myself that I bought from ErikSJI after he sold his place up on San Juan Island. He sold a lot of mule palms there for a while.

MatthedLund, I forgot about Erik in SJI. That would be awesome to see more in good microclimates.  If you know of any let me know, please. 

Should have some nice pics of mine about this time next year.