IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla x romanzoffiana

Josue Diaz

I did some cleaning up today and in doing so, sprayed this palm down, removing all the debris it collects from the nearby myrtle. After washing it down, I just had to sit and gaze at it for a little while. I thought I'd share a picture with you all.

Screenshot_20180829-203953_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 6

That’s a great looking hybrid Josue. Is that the coconut queen? I recently got into the syagrus hybrids and bought a coronata x romanzoffia. In my opinion both the coronata and schizophylla hybrids look nothing like a queen palm and have a very elegant look to them. I think I am going to go back to Jungle Jacks this weekend and get myself a schizophylla hybrid. Thanks for sharing. 

By the way, how big was your palm when u planted it? Wondering if they are super fast like most hybrids. 

1 minute ago, 5150cycad said:

That’s a great looking hybrid Josue. Is that the coconut queen? I recently got into the syagrus hybrids and bought a coronata x romanzoffia. In my opinion both the coronata and schizophylla hybrids look nothing like a queen palm and have a very elegant look to them. I think I am going to go back to Jungle Jacks this weekend and get myself a schizophylla hybrid. Thanks for sharing. 

By the way, how big was your palm when u planted it? Wondering if they are super fast like most hybrids. 

I saw that post on your coronata hybrid! Spectacular palm. 

My particular palm isn't exactly fast. It's slower than romanzoffiana. I planted it almost 2 years ago now, and the oldest two or three leaves on it right now were probably the newer leaves from when i planted it. It's put out 5 or 6 new leaves in roughly 18 months.

great hybrid with some serious vigor! tough as nails and can easily take temps below freezing with frost

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

It's a beauty. Does anyone know its cold tolerance? Guesses?

Down to 30 at least, and frost tolerant. No spotting at these temps either, in my experience. It doesn't seem fazed by the extended cold, wet winter that many tropicals hate - and our cold, wet season is much more pronounced in Fresno than in Southern California. We get two months or so of 60s for a high and 40s for a low, with the occasional drop into the mid 30s. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 1

These are not slow; just not as fast as a Queen (but little is!)  A staple of my yard; great looking and bulletproof.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

16 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

These are not slow; just not as fast as a Queen (but little is!)  A staple of my yard; great looking and bulletproof.

I think that if I fertilized it more and gave it more deep waterings, it'd speed up. Post a photo of yours Ben.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

It's a beauty. Does anyone know its cold tolerance? Guesses?

Mine has seen 26f and was didn’t skip a beat. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Has to be one of my favorite hybrids! In my experience it takes a few years in the ground before they start growing faster. Mine didn't do much but now two years later it's growing fast. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I think that if I fertilized it more and gave it more deep waterings, it'd speed up. Post a photo of yours Ben.

Which one? LOL - I must have at least 15. I’ll try posting a couple of the bigger ones in front and back. 

B3705BFC-8BD6-4C41-BEEF-1408998F163C.jpeg

D946F564-C1D7-43AB-B24A-0299BE2F9AC1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 8

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Which one? LOL - I must have at least 15. I’ll try posting a couple of the bigger ones in front and back. 

B3705BFC-8BD6-4C41-BEEF-1408998F163C.jpeg

D946F564-C1D7-43AB-B24A-0299BE2F9AC1.jpeg

Talk about a wow factor! That first one is amazing!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Talk about a wow factor! That first one is amazing!

Yes, that one is in more shade, in amongst a Queen, a P. Tor tor, and a Tri-Bear.  Seems to be a darker green as a result.  But the one in front has grown quickly too!

Ben Rogers

These would be a no go for any area colder than 9b from Texas to the Atlantic. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018, 2:58:07, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These would be a no go for any area colder than 9b from Texas to the Atlantic. 

No doubt, but I wonder if it could be back crossed with a Butia .  (Butia x (SYAGRUS SCHIZOPHYLLA X ROMANZOFFIANA) 

Could certainly be a excellent looking hybrid. 

• Like 1

Couple of mine.. still kinda small but have been solid growers. Only have 3 total but they are nice

229-F323-F-4953-4186-B147-A7-E06-B999-DA
4-A7-C0-AF4-FB6-F-4-A21-9-E82-892209-F47

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

For what's it's worth, a local Fresno schizophylla  x romanzoffiana went to seed this summer, but the seeds were sterile. 

output.jpg

All of mine are flowering, this whole summer.  Patric is trying to hybridize them in my yard but no dice so far.  He did just take a couple of inflorescence though, so hopefully he can make something of them.  I got dibs obviously! :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎41‎:‎21‎, Josue Diaz said:

I did some cleaning up today and in doing so, sprayed this palm down, removing all the debris it collects from the nearby myrtle. After washing it down, I just had to sit and gaze at it for a little while. I thought I'd share a picture with you all.

Screenshot_20180829-203953_Gallery.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎41‎:‎21‎, Josue Diaz said:

Removing a 2' radius of flagstone around the base will improve it's health immensely.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking I would share mine. It really just put on some size over the last year but now seems to be cranking out leaves. I plan on clearing out some plants in this area soon to add Chameadoria since there's more shade. 

20190110_150439.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

On 1/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, RichAZ said:

Here's mine.  3 years from a skinny 5g and sitting in full Arizona sun all day.  

15474211142552113301421413996012.jpg

That's an amazing looking palm!

47 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

That's an amazing looking palm!

I see a bit more schizophylla than normal in that one? interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

I see a bit more schizophylla than normal in that one? interesting.

i couldn't quite put a pin in it but i agree w you

Can someone define exactly what to look for to identify this hybrid?

One of my Queens looks completely different to the rest, a lot like these - specifically the fact that the leaflets almost all are on the same plane, horizontal (or just above), rather than every second leaflet vertical and ever second horizontal as per standard Queen...

15 hours ago, enigma99 said:

2018 to 3/3/2020

F289584C-83F1-4791-9A0A-8C0D064E7F82.jpeg

F9EF525B-82AD-401C-9DED-7F994D9D4644.jpeg

Looking good i truly miss mine =( lost them at 20° w/ freezing rain. I'll try and dig up a pic of them in there former glory 

T J 

On 1/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, RichAZ said:

Here's mine.  3 years from a skinny 5g and sitting in full Arizona sun all day. 

As @enigma99 and @Josue Diaz pointed out it looks more schizophylla.  Do I see armament on the petioles?  Seems to me I've read comments that they typically do not.  I was wondering if anyone's had thorns and if there was as much variability with this hybrid..  @Ben in Norcal are any of your 15 armed?

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

As @enigma99 and @Josue Diaz pointed out it looks more schizophylla.  Do I see armament on the petioles?  Seems to me I've read comments that they typically do not.  I was wondering if anyone's had thorns and if there was as much variability with this hybrid..  @Ben in Norcal are any of your 15 armed?

No, I have not noticed any armament on any of mine.

They are a lot more attractive than schizophylla, IMO, which I find quite the acquired taste!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

• 3 months later...

TJ, looks like you got some snow there, what's the coldest your 2 have seen, was there any damage after things warmed up.  Considering trying a couple of these but they would need to be reliably hardy to 20oF. thanks.

It's hard to get a good picture of mine now but definitely seems to lean a little more schizophylla but very cool looking. It recovered from being crushed last summer and now it's growing pretty fast. 

20200605_143916.jpg

20200605_143856.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8B palms said:

TJ, looks like you got some snow there, what's the coldest your 2 have seen, was there any damage after things warmed up.  Considering trying a couple of these but they would need to be reliably hardy to 20oF. thanks.

So that wasnt actually snow it was 20°F freezing rain. These poor things didn't make it unfortunately. Still upset about it. The year before they saw 24°F freezing rain and didn't flinch, I guess 20° is the mortality bar =/ Maybe in a protected spot they could prosper if it got down to 20° My guess is there the same hardiness as a regular queen. As that year some queens made it some didnt =/ Pic was from June that next summer after seeing 24° 

20170710_153617.jpg

• Like 1

T J 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, Fusca said:

I was wondering if anyone's had thorns and if there was as much variability with this hybrid..  @Ben in Norcal are any of your 15 armed?

Mine never had any armament 

• Upvote 1

T J 

That sucks they look stunning, I am sorry that happened.  I had seen suggestions somewhere else in another thread in PalmTalk maybe if this was crossed with a Butia or even Jubaea, that could produce a stunning cold hardy palm, anyone out there in the hybridizing world working in this?

1 hour ago, 8B palms said:

That sucks they look stunning, I am sorry that happened.  I had seen suggestions somewhere else in another thread in PalmTalk maybe if this was crossed with a Butia or even Jubaea, that could produce a stunning cold hardy palm, anyone out there in the hybridizing world working in this?

Yeah Craig, they're generally considered hardy to just 9b and up.  :(  Looks like Patric Schafer has made this cross with Butia - it's on his latest list that I sent you.  It's the 7th one from the top listed as "Butia x Monty".  Could be a winner for our zone!

Jon Sunder