IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus frond droop

Rickybobby

Hey everyone since this current palm I’m showing which is actually a tad bigger than 7 gallon fronds droop. What causes this. I did not propagate this one. It’s from Florida. I just wonder as the healthy fronds come up. There’s zero brown tips everything’s looks great. Only thing I can say is this palm does take pretty consistent winds daily 

9E4BEC6E-A358-439D-8F4F-D74373D4EF5F.jpeg

Edited by Rickybobby

In my humble opinion they dont like pots. But then again I am not an expert. I had one looking pretty shocked and it perked up soon as I put it in the ground. Also they seem to put of sturdier fronds in the ground at a much faster rate than in a pot. What are you feeding it and how is your watering?

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Can you get a closer up picture of the fronds?  I have a trio that look terrible every spring from cold drying winds.  Not enough water maybe?

BTW I'm an Ontario transplant - moved from Oakville.  I know there are a few people keeping palms down in the Beaches, Hamilton, Burlington and Niagara.  Always nice to some palms in the GTA.:greenthumb:

Edited by Chester B
add more info
  • Upvote 1

How long has it been there? Looks to me like a shade grown palm, maybe give it more shade and slowly move it into the sun. My two cents.

Ok so thanks for everyone’s responses. Yes the palm was shade grown in Florida. I bought it this may and the fronds are way larger and thicker and healthier. The fronds in the middle you can see are way closer to the trunk than the old fronds. I feed it with fish emulsion and rain water   That spot gets great daylight as it faces south and yes hear in the country where we are is usually breezy 

11 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

In my humble opinion they dont like pots. But then again I am not an expert. I had one looking pretty shocked and it perked up soon as I put it in the ground. Also they seem to put of sturdier fronds in the ground at a much faster rate than in a pot. What are you feeding it and how is your watering?

I do plan on planting this guy in the ground eventually. Just not yet. Once the old shade grown fronds die off I’m sure he palm will look nicer. I knew it was ratty when I bought it but so far under my care it looks a lot better 

I think it’ll adjust to the winds. The fronds on my Trachy have gotten stiffer and have begun take on more of a bowl-shape, like wagnerianus but larger.

Makes me wonder if wagnerianus originated from an area with heavier snow, smaller, stiffer fronds should equate to less folding and breakage. It might also explain why they seem to have thicker trunks and more “fur” than a regular fortunei, and why they’re supposedly hardier.

• Upvote 1

Please put it in the shade for a while and make sure it is watered adequately.  Water when top 2 inches of soil feels dry to your finger.  Move gradually to sun over 2 weeks.  Once in the sun over 1 years time new fronds will be shorter and stiffer.  I have a lot of these in pots.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Please put it in the shade for a while and make sure it is watered adequately.  Water when top 2 inches of soil feels dry to your finger.  Move gradually to sun over 2 weeks.  Once in the sun over 1 years time new fronds will be shorter and stiffer.  I have a lot of these in pots.

This palm has been in direct sun since may and watering has been on point. All new growth has been spot on. I guess my question should have been why did the old shade grown fronds droop?

OK leave in sun.  new fronds grown in sun will be shorter and stiffer and less likely to wind droop but will still somewhat.  Have you fertilized?   My pots can dry out fast in wind here.  make sure it's watered enough.  Dip your finger in and if if feels dry 2 inches down, water.  If it drys out too much put mulch on top (I like the pine bark nuggets, the big ones)

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Like I mentioned droopy fronds I bought it this way. And yes was stretched out shade grown. As you can see the new fronds look great and al my palms are mulched and bark chipped. Moisture always great. Fertilized with fish emulsion and have had a palm fertilizer spike earlier this summer 

B3FBFB17-35A5-4FAF-8684-479AEF683496.jpeg

When you get them from the big box stores they're usually stretched.  I bought a bunch that have taken a year for the new fronds to reach the heights of the old ones, but with much larger and thicker fronds.  Kind of a waiting game.

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

When you get them from the big box stores they're usually stretched.  I bought a bunch that have taken a year for the new fronds to reach the heights of the old ones, but with much larger and thicker fronds.  Kind of a waiting game.

Technically this one not from box store we have a local palm guy here who also sets up palms for expos weddings restaurants etc. He’s a very passionate dude but! They come from Florida nursery’s   So iam working on becoming the local palm guy and see what happens hope to find good homes for a lot of my palms eventually while only keeping one of each for my collection

I probably will stop doing the more tropical ones after this year and focus on cold hardy so people and my self around here can enjoy them for many months a year outside 

• Upvote 1