IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal ID

Chester B

I recently acquired this large Sabal from my palm guy and am looking to see if anyone is able to help me identify it.  Sabals are pretty rare in the PNW and when i heard he had one at another location I was able to coerce him to sell it to me.  He wasn't sure what type of Sabal it is.  He thought a regular S. Minor but another person told him it could be S.Louisiana.  As you can see from the photos it's quite large at about 8' wide and 6' high and probably about 4' in depth.  The only other one I've seen in the Portland area is in my own garden and not big at all.  Sabal's seem to throw only about 2 leaves per year in our climate.  Any help is appreciated.

Sabal 1.jpg

Sabal 2.jpg

Sabal 3.jpg

Sabal 4.jpg

Sabal 5.jpg

• Upvote 3

That looks more like the northern Lousianna type of sabal minor.  They get large, quite different than a blountstown dwarf.

• Upvote 1

Could be Sabal 'Tamaulipas'.  That creeping trunk and very costapalmate leaves seem typical for Tamaulipas.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Label says it’s Sabal havanensis but that is an old iregular name for Sabal minor. Palm was germinated in 1950’s acording to the garden officials. I have seed grown specimen from the same palm. It’s hardy in zone 7 with wet winters and prolonged freezes, so very likely it’s Sabal minor. This year palm flowered for the first time with three flower stalks. It’s approximately 9 years old from seed.  

1E625F7D-FC4B-4431-834C-529A3A84BBEB.jpeg

Edited by Henoh

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That looks more like the northern Lousianna type of sabal minor.  They get large, quite different than a blountstown dwarf.

On Croatian forum Palmapedia members discussed about ID and territorial origin of that palm and narrowed possible origin to area around Havana, FL but also it could easily be from Louisiana. 

Sabal minor’s from area near Havana, Florida. Photo credit David McManus https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809225/#b

4C449F1F-0184-4421-B2B4-B2CE8FD9494D.jpeg

Edited by Henoh
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I wanted to revisit this one. I was looking at this palm today and after being in the ground for a year and a half I noticed all the friends are now very divided with the center of the frond pointing down like I saw on palmettos in Florida. Originally the leaves were very flat and fan shaped.  Now when you look at the fronds head on they form a Small m shape. It did send up two flower stalks last year and has almost no trunk. New pics attached that hopefully show what I am talking about. 

33558B00-60D9-457A-9CC3-6148B778ABD8.jpeg

AEBA8528-4437-4366-845E-F42304760742.jpeg

Edited by Chester B

• 7 months later...

Ok one last kick at the can.  This thing has sped up this year and has put out 4 fronds that look different from the ones at the start of the post.  Thoughts?

• Like 3

I had a YouTube viewer that thinks this is Sabal brazoria and based on the info I've been reading up on I think they're right.  Perfect match to what it says in this document and based on other posts here.

http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/Sabal/Brazoria.html

You could be right about it being a Brazoria.  From my experience, the flower inflorescence is too short for an S. minor or S. minor 'Louisiana'.  Mine are around 8-feet tall and taller than the leaves. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ESVA said:

You could be right about it being a Brazoria.  From my experience, the flower inflorescence is too short for an S. minor or S. minor 'Louisiana'.  Mine are around 8-feet tall and taller than the leaves. 

Yes that is one of the factors that make me think it’s not a minor, that and the frond shape. It really is quite a big palm and seems at the very upper limits for minor. I’m actually quite pleased that this may be brazoria as I already have a bunch of smaller minors. The bigger the better as far as I’m concerned. Hopefully my causiarum get some size to them in my lifetime. 

• 2 months later...

I'm still feeling pretty good with the Brazoria ID.  Unfortunately this is year two with it flowering and no seeds.