IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto Lisa seedlings back in stock

PalmatierMeg

I have more Sabal palmetto Lisa seedlings ready for sale. They are currently in community pots and range from just germinated to 6" strap leafers. Most everyone here is familiar with this fantastic mutation of the common Sabal palmetto that was described only in 2006 in SWFL.

Seedlings that inherit this trait may not show Lisa leaves for up to 3-5 years. Some researchers say chance of seeds coming up true is 20% but I have had up to 65% of seeds from this mother palm being true. But I suspect that may vary from crop to crop (why I don't know) and I make no claims that you will have similar results. Best to try multiple seedlings and be patient. With these seedlings you will get a 6-month jump on the wait. In addition, my largest Sabal Lisa aborted its 2018 seed crop earlier this summer - why, I don't know. I have one lot of her 2017 crop to germinate and then I'm out until I can obtain more seeds. So, if you've wanted to try this totally unique palm, now is the time to do so.

Now for the particulars:

Cost: $1.75 per seedling - Minimum purchase: 15 plants.  If you want to purchase larger quantities (over 50), I will give you a quantity discount. PM me

Shipping Cost Included in price. Plants will be sent via Priority Mail. I will remove from pot, wrap roots in damp orchid most, clear wrap and foil.

Payment via Paypal

No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI.

NOTE: Please contact me via Private Message.

Photos: Photos 1-4 are of seedlings for sale. Photo 5 is of formerly wild Sabal Lisa palm now residing in a Ft. Myers palm park

5b86f9ecdaac3_SabalLisaseedlings0108-29-5b86f9f746726_SabalLisaseedlings0208-29-5b86fa006e5f2_SabalLisaseedlings0308-29-5b86fa0fda4bb_SabalLisaseedlings0408-29-5b86fa24417f0_SabalpalmettoLisamotherpal

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

i did this deal with Meg years ago. My percentage being 'Lisa" was as she says. You Cai folks should jump on this. The "Lisa" leaves are very rigid and it don't look like S. palmetto. I mowed the lawn today and got jammed by the leaves, very rigid and did not feel too good. :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

2 hours ago, Moose said:

i did this deal with Meg years ago. My percentage being 'Lisa" was as she says. You Cai folks should jump on this. The "Lisa" leaves are very rigid and it don't look like S. palmetto. I mowed the lawn today and got jammed by the leaves, very rigid and did not feel too good. :D

I got a bunch of seeds from Meg last year. Great percentage germinated. Lost almost all of them while I was in Hawaii for a few weeks. Still got about ten that are doing great. Is there an early way to tell if they will grow true to form? 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve, they can take 3-5 years to show their form. However, sometimes you can get a hint by sliding the length of the leaves between your thumb and forefinger. The Lisas leaves will be concave rather than flat. As the plant gets larger that concave trait will become more visible to the point that the leaves almost roll into cylinders. See photo below taken in 2012. That palm was about 3 yrs old.

5b87826909d48_SabalLisasmall037-21-12.JP

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

People ask me what kind of palm I have, when I tell them it's a Sabal palmetto, they think I am pulling there leg

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B