IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Lane to Cause Severe Pain?

DoomsDave

Hope not, but it looks like Hawaii might at least get brushed with this now-cat-five monster.

How do you say, praying for your safety in Hawaiian?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38890702/hurricane-watch-issued-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state

"Lane is forecast to move dangerously close to the main Hawaiian Islands as a hurricane Thursday through Saturday, potentially bringing damaging winds and life-threatening flash flooding from heavy rainfall," the Central Pacific Hurricane Center said, in its latest update. 

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No doubt it is a powerful storm.  Hope all of you on the islands are safe!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I am very concerned for so many who live full or part time in Hawaii! 

Please know we on PT are all thinking of you and hope you will take no chances with your safety.

I expect your infrastructure is in better shape than ours was, so perhaps any utility interruptions will be minimal.

Before Maria hit here, I did not think that without electricity and internet, cash is the only option. Don’t forget to have lots extra on hand just in case.

Please post when you can.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Im hoping its not as bad as it looks like it will be. Headed straight for Oahu which is much less prepared for a hurricane than BI and has a lot more people :blink:

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

We are at 19" of rain here in Hilo since about 10am yesterday. So averaging almost exactly 1" per hour and it's just non stop!  Very little wind for us thankfully.  Praying for the same for the other island and the Kona side. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Im hoping its not as bad as it looks like it will be. Headed straight for Oahu which is much less prepared for a hurricane than BI and has a lot more people :blink:

And, no place to drive to, unless you're a fish.

• Upvote 1

As much rain here as near Jason's, and maybe more. Wednesday was the worst. There are many more lulls now, which helps to give me longer periods of satellite-supplied TV and internet access. No flooding even possible on my hillside lot, but lots of closures on oceanfront highways, landslides on the Saddle Road. Virtually no wind here, but it might be worse on the Kona side. The storm is almost stationary near its closest approach to the BI. I'm ready for it to go!!

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Over 30" rain here in Hakalau last 48 hours, a new record for our place.  Crazy amount of rain!  Not much wind, fortunately.  I just planted a new durian orchard;  durian likes wet, but this is ridiculous.

I am praying too! Stay safe everyone, I am hoping it does not get any closer. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

you okay?

Kindly advise.

Just posted a comment in the Leilani thread about the unbelievable rainfall. Just passed 41” (1,041mm) and it's still pouring. Wouldn't surprise me if we get 50” when all is said and done. Enough already.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hawaii has been copping it lately. First a volcano now a hurricane. I hope it just rains for you guys but doesn't blow much down. I know the palms will love the drink and do well, but the wind not so much.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

16 hours ago, realarch said:

Just posted a comment in the Leilani thread about the unbelievable rainfall. Just passed 41” (1,041mm) and it's still pouring. Wouldn't surprise me if we get 50” when all is said and done. Enough already.

Tim

I found a Times article about last year's hurricane Maria concerning PR that claims: 

"In just over 24 hours, the storm dumped more than two feet of rain on parts of the island, triggering massive flooding in the central and northern areas. That region’s uneven terrain also contributed to flooding, channeling water into streams and rivers that crested far above flood stage."

It is difficult to imagine so much more water than we had, but at least it sounds like the wind on the Big Island is not as big an issue?

Please let us know everyone after you have a chance to exhale and better assess any damage. 

Cindy Adair

Oahu got almost nothing, I feel bad for our neighbor islands though:(

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

still raining.  fortunately, wind was not significant in this event, at least here in Hakalau.

Edited by CLINODAVE

We're at about 45" now. Not much rain today so I was able to get out in the yard. Amazing to see no damage after that much water fell from the sky and poured through our yard from neighbors properties that drain through ours!  I raked up some cinder and some mulch that had overflown out of their planters and that's all I needed to do. It's amazing how quickly this place drains!  I feel for the people that live close to the rivers here. The force of the water right now is terrifying!

Hurricanes in Hawaii are almost unheard of especially in the dry season Summer.

This is friggen ridiculous. Why does everyone  blame it on global warming and no one starts pointing fingers at our secretive governments who are screwing with our climate worldwide? 

Haarp in Alaska, Barium Aluminum spraying of our atmosphere. 

And im suspecting fukushima reactor still spewing radiation heat and radiation in the Pacific ocean could have something to do with it. Not sure just speculating there.

Edited by veeman55

Dean, how did your place handle the extra water?

What about everybody on PT who has property in HI?

Time to assess the damage yet?

I'd love to hear from every one of you now that Lane has left. Thanks!

Cindy Adair

On 9/2/2018, 6:43:32, Cindy Adair said:

Dean, how did your place handle the extra water?

What about everybody on PT who has property in HI?

Time to assess the damage yet?

I'd love to hear from every one of you now that Lane has left. Thanks!

When it was all said and done, Lane dropped 51" of rain on our yard!  We are at 600 feet elevation, 2.5 miles upslope of downtown Hilo.  No garden damage thankfully and all the plants seem very happy.  We just had 3 days of beautiful sunshine so that was amazing to see after so much rain.