IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which hoya is this

GDLWyverex

Just got this one today and would love to know what it is.

imagenes/apocynaceae/HoyaHasseltii.jpg

Any one know about this one? h hasseltii and h- sigillatis are close, but appear to be speckled where this one seems to define it's veins with white.

Richard

I could be H. paulshirleyii or H. vitellinoides. It also sort of resembles pottsii, obscura and ficthii. Maybe wait till you get blooms may be easier to ID then. 

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

7 hours ago, metalfan said:

I could be H. paulshirleyii or H. vitellinoides. It also sort of resembles pottsii, obscura and ficthii. Maybe wait till you get blooms may be easier to ID then. 

Found this incredible hoya page http://www.ahhoya.com/d.html

Check it out

Richard

I have seen their great photo gallery before, isn't it wonderful? I have obtained a lot of neat hoyas from the USC Tampa Botanical Garden sales in past years also. In my current greenhouse revamping operation I have started several large ones up totems on the wall. There comes a time when you can't just let them hang, they get too voluminous and wild and most really do like to climb. You can grow a lot of species mounted like dischidia too. Its hard to ID hoyas by their leaves alone (unless its something really unique like Retusa or Kerrii or Obovate. A lot of leaves have similar looks, its more accurate to see the bloom characteristics (broom formation, full round ball, individual flower shape and color etc). It can be maddening to get NOID hoyas! (like NOID palms LOL)

Edited by metalfan
misspellings
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, metalfan said:

I have seen their great photo gallery before, isn't it wonderful? I have obtained a lot of neat hoyas from the USC Tampa Botanical Garden sales in past years also. In my current greenhouse revamping operation I have started several large ones up totems on the wall. There comes a time when you can't just let them hang, they get too voluminous and wild and most really do like to climb. You can grow a lot of species mounted like dischidia too. Its hard to ID hoyas by their leaves alone (unless its something really unique like Retusa or Kerrii or Obovate. A lot of leaves have similar looks, its more accurate to see the bloom characteristics (broom formation, full round ball, individual flower shape and color etc). It can be maddening to get NOID hoyas! (like NOID palms LOL)

I have decided to name it hoya splash for now and wait until I stumble upon a name. if ever.

I don't get too upset having NoIDs on hugely hybridized plants such as cannas, hibiscus, zantedeschias, hoyas and the like. I am fairly satisfied to simply id the genus and let it go at that. In general I am not an enthusiast of hybrids and tend to gravitate more towards the species plants found in nature. Thus my catalogue has entries such as hibiscus 1, hibiscus 2 ...

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

Yeah I have had to accept that I may never remember or ID some of my stuff. Its ok I guess because I am not an active plant trader anymore. But when I was, I wanted to be certain the plant I was trading to someone was what I was representing it as. Just for myself its ok not to always know.

This is one of my new supports for some of my larger hoya. I cut this H. loyceandrewsiana out of a bauhinia tree where it had just rambled all over almost 20 feet up to the roof. Got a few containers with really large pieces. So I put them on totems.

IMG_2069.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1