IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recommendations please

The Silent Seed

Hi folks,
I haven't been down to Florida in a few years, and would like any input about good, neat, or interesting, or diverse nurseries / plant shops / greenhouses I should visit while on my trip. (And anywhere in between Massachusetts and Florida.) (Both wholesale and retail welcome.)
Let the recommendations commence, please.
Best, Jude 

Anything in particular you are looking to buy?  Which part(s) of Florida are you visiting?

Just tossing one out there in case you head to St. Petersburg: West Coast Tropicals

http://wctropicals.com/contact-map/

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hi,

To be frank; not really palms - but all kinds of tropicals - aroids, unusual plants, succulents, etc. 

I will be all over Florida. 

Thanks! 

@santoury

I have more palms than anything else.  Most of the other "tropicals" I've gotten were at plant sales at various botanical gardens or from big box retailers.  Stuff like philodendrons, citrus, elephant ear, bird of paradise, caladiums, etc.  I guess in a true sense, these are more "sub-tropicals".  If you're looking for fruiting plants, you could try this place: http://www.hawkinscornernursery.com/

Anyone else want to chime in?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Thanks for circling back! 

I suppose you could call them "sub tropicals" - if that makes a difference to you - because everything HERE is fully tropical. :) Well, maybe not for too much longer with global warming. 

That said - have you noticed any specific big box retailers that has a nicer-than-usual variety? Those are fair game, too. 

Thanks! 

@santoury  It seems like the big box stores near the coasts (St. Pete, Vero) carried more of a tropical selection than inland.  Makes sense because they usually honor that 1 year guarantee on their plants.

Lakeland, FL

You're welcome!

None that I can think of off the top of my head.  In the spring and fall there are a bunch of plant sales in the Tampa/St. Pete + Orlando areas.  I tend to go to sales during those months.  In the summer, usually I'm out performing the never ending chore of pulling weeds.

Lakeland, FL

Should you happen to travel the I-4 corridor between Orlando and Tampa, you can feel free to stop in the thriving metropolis of Lakeland and grab some Dwarf Cavendish banana pups and/or an Ice Cream banana pup.

Don't think I have any avocados left... at least none plainly visible from the ground.

You said you're not necessarily after palms, but you can also have as many phoenix roebelenii seeds as you like.  Also have some sabal palmetto seedlings and few other small palms.

Lakeland, FL

Thank you Kinz, that's a very kind offer! I'll check in if I am in your area - it would be great to meet another plant nut from here, if nothing else. Thank you! 

Cindy - Awesome suggestion! They are open by appointment, and I know the Gardino's, and visit them every time I am in Florida and fill my car while there, too! 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are driving you may want to stop in Eastern NC and visit Gary's Nursery. It may a tad bit out of the way but its worth it. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Hey gang,

I'm back home, but go to the midcoast area frequently - so I would be curious about Gary's Nursery. Looks like they grow almost exclusively palms, right? 

On 10/11/2018, 9:37:57, santoury said:

Hey gang,

I'm back home, but go to the midcoast area frequently - so I would be curious about Gary's Nursery. Looks like they grow almost exclusively palms, right? 

Yes, Gary's Nursery is mostly all palms. You may want to give him a call before you go, sometimes he's out doing installations and landscaping work.

http://www.garysnursery.com/

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

• 1 month later...

Premier Growers! We are in Saint James City, FL. If you would like to stop in and see our growing collection of propagating seeds and our greenhouse full of different palms of all sizes. We aren’t really a retail nursery just yet, but in the works. 

761BEA54-3ED4-411B-97B1-FF60EE767763.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Good luck with the new business, Shelby! I was more than impressed with my seed purchase from Premier Growers recently.