IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A time to dismember - Roystonea leaves

DoomsDave

Spanky the Roystonea regia dropped a dead leaf and it’s a formidable chore disposing of it.

The petiole is thicker than my wrist. Too thick for my loppers.

ED5EEF8F-C042-43A6-96FF-5507C6469140.thu4FBE0C14-7B51-469E-8053-D3A0AFD9A691.thu

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So it’s machete time!

A39D97B1-7DB6-4E12-85D5-285F25BD62A9.thu8BB2A6FA-8F69-403D-978C-7ADCB4BA3715.thu54B1DD35-4B02-4219-91C4-DCB10D68E15B.thu

• Upvote 8

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Once the initial separation was done the rest was easier 

B9D73984-8003-4BEF-88F7-EE452920D07B.thu47E277C3-4D59-4306-A28F-E0DFD1E86096.thu

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Woah that's huge! The machete should to the trick. Do you have any pictures of the palm? 

Of course!

9F16D0FB-A1FA-4072-B65A-AAB4DC7122B0.thuAB8F2269-F1D7-4C42-8D41-96A6238D5626.thuA6BFC9F2-C83B-4E85-8725-1C43B774C7A9.thu68AC4417-83BA-4CB1-AA26-740E9541F06C.thu

• Upvote 8

And, the leaf had a bird’s nest in it; empty fortunately.

Appears to be woven from 800 Pound Gorilla fibers.

31EF4876-3FFA-4BDA-A026-E33A7EBDBE15.thu0667FB15-9120-419B-A46E-DC1DE0FD7E64.thu2CA39289-5D2D-42C7-B291-706983429680.thuE60806D7-8361-4B38-AE82-1486102181EE.thu

• Upvote 4

I find loppers aren't the best tool (a good tool for the right job) for cutting large fronds like those of your royal palm. I have an old 18 volt Black and Decker reciprocating saw with an 8" wood blade that I use to cut up palm fronds like soft butter! I use the saw for cutting up fallen branches, limbs, palm fronds, heavy shrub stems, etc. This saw has made life (property maintenance) much easier.

I also use this saw for sectioning coconut palm nut husks. It makes short work of the husks, sectioning the husks to where I can rip them easily away from the nuts. Of course, the trick is not going too deep and cutting into the nut. The day this saw gives up the ghost I definitely will get another one, as it's invaluable to me.

P6250012.JPG

• Upvote 4

Mad about palms

Dave, I thought you had a wood chipper machine of sorts. I only say this because of the plethora of palms you have.  (Especially self cleaning ones).

I may be off the marker here, but, don't folks with dozens or hundreds of palms have these contraptions?

Love the machete!

Walt, I'm a getting one of those if the cocos make it through.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Of course!

9F16D0FB-A1FA-4072-B65A-AAB4DC7122B0.thuAB8F2269-F1D7-4C42-8D41-96A6238D5626.thuA6BFC9F2-C83B-4E85-8725-1C43B774C7A9.thu68AC4417-83BA-4CB1-AA26-740E9541F06C.thu

Just gorgeous! !!!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

17 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Dave, I thought you had a wood chipper machine of sorts. I only say this because of the plethora of palms you have.  (Especially self cleaning ones).

I may be off the marker here, but, don't folks with dozens or hundreds of palms have these contraptions?

Love the machete!

Walt, I'm a getting one of those if the cocos make it through.

Wood chippers, esp. the home handyman models, don't handle palm fronds well. Fronds are very fibrous and will quickly clog up a chipper. We put our large fronds by the road for weekly garden waste pickup.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Wood chippers, esp. the home handyman models, don't handle palm fronds well. Fronds are very fibrous and will quickly clog up a chipper. We put our large fronds by the road for weekly garden waste pickup.

Thank you Meg for the insight. It makes complete sense.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Walt said:

I find loppers aren't the best tool (a good tool for the right job) for cutting large fronds like those of your royal palm. I have an old 18 volt Black and Decker reciprocating saw with an 8" wood blade that I use to cut up palm fronds like soft butter! I use the saw for cutting up fallen branches, limbs, palm fronds, heavy shrub stems, etc. This saw has made life (property maintenance) much easier.

I also use this saw for sectioning coconut palm nut husks. It makes short work of the husks, sectioning the husks to where I can rip them easily away from the nuts. Of course, the trick is not going too deep and cutting into the nut. The day this saw gives up the ghost I definitely will get another one, as it's invaluable to me.

P6250012.JPG

I'm with Walt, the reciprocating saw of Doom! Easier on the hands than loppers or machete. Faster too.

Battery operated frees up from being electrically connected.

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Dave, why don't you have a compost heap? You're throwing away great carbon that should go back into the soil man!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Dave, why don't you have a compost heap? You're throwing away great carbon that should go back into the soil man!

My yard is one giant compost heap.

There’s just so damn much frondage to get rid of.

• Upvote 2

Here’s the trunk with The Shoe.

0A50B5F2-486F-4CF0-A9B7-09627D16CD4E.thu

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Is that a bike stuck between the palm and the house????

It’s between but there’s about 7 feet of space.

@DoomsDave Everyone loves "The Shoe", but I'll take the machete pic for the win. ;)

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 minute ago, kinzyjr said:

@DoomsDave Everyone loves "The Shoe", but I'll take the machete pic for the win. ;)

Hint duly taken!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s the trunk with The Shoe.

0A50B5F2-486F-4CF0-A9B7-09627D16CD4E.thu

Dave, how do you get rid of all the fronds?

23 hours ago, Walt said:

Cool!

But I really get into that adrenaline raising thrill of holding that blade and hacking with it.

BUT 

time was I’d rip engines out of cars and trucks and I leave that to the kids.

So I’ve duly noted your appliance!

Here’s Spanky from the roof.

38370400-B65C-4D2E-A8FC-D657158A71E0.thu

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Dave, how do you get rid of all the fronds?

In season I burn them in my two fireplaces. Now it’s too hot so I cut them up and dump them in the trash. There’s way too many to use in compost at least for now.

Answering your question gives me an idea  ....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Any damage from the frond falling?

None fortunately. The most problematic Roystonea is Butch, right near my garage roof. I don’t think they’ll be a problem there, though since the material is relatively soft and pliable. Nowhere near as bad as oak limbs, for example.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Cool!

But I really get into that adrenaline raising thrill of holding that blade and hacking with it.

BUT 

time was I’d rip engines out of cars and trucks and I leave that to the kids.

So I’ve duly noted your appliance!

With my 5.60 acres I have just far too much tree and palm litter. Stuff (limbs, branches, palm fronds) are falling almost daily. At least once a week I drive around with my lawn tractor pulling a dump cart. As I come across fallen fronds (self cleaning species, I have dozens and dozens of Archontophoenix species), dead fronds (non self cleaning, but reachable), tree branches, etc., I cut them up quickly with my reciprocating saw. I haul everything (sometimes many trips, depending on amount of litter) to my burn pile and burn it. Some things I cut up and set out as yard waste. The saw is invaluable to me.

The saw also works great cutting up trunks of small diameter palms. Hurricane Irma snapped and/or blew down many palms, some with more than 12" diameter trunks. I did use my WEN battery operated chainsaw to cut the down, but also used the reciprocating saw to cut up the fallen trunks. I had to move my cut location several times (and roll the trunks) to cut all the way through due to the blade length being less than the diameter of the trunk, but it did the job.

What I'm looking for now is a battery operated reciprocating pole saw for cutting palm fronds, as my battery operated pole chainsaw chain is too coarse for cutting small diameter palm fronds, like those on my large clump of paurotis palms.

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms

23 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Is that a bike stuck between the palm and the house????

Switch to a metal blade on the reciprocating saw of Doom, you can cut up the bicycle too. :D

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

That palm looks good, makes me think of Florida! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Archontophoenix leaves are somewhat easier to deal with. 

You've got a nice plank roof.  Why the replacements?  shouldn't be rotting in your climate!  My own house has planks rather than plywood or the much-detested particle board.  It seemed a good excuse for buying the place--roof less likely to fly to pieces in a storm.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I love your new lounge, Dave. Excellent spot for palm viewing and sipping a drink. (laughing at garden chair on the roof!) 

That Roystonea looks so healthy. Good job!

21 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s Spanky from the roof.

38370400-B65C-4D2E-A8FC-D657158A71E0.thu

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Archontophoenix leaves are somewhat easier to deal with. 

You've got a nice plank roof.  Why the replacements?  shouldn't be rotting in your climate!  My own house has planks rather than plywood or the much-detested particle board.  It seemed a good excuse for buying the place--roof less likely to fly to pieces in a storm.

That's plants under the shingles. Roof rotted rather badly, so lots of carpentry being done on it.